Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Dac advice needed
Hello!

I've been a Moode user for quite some time. Great product.

I have a old console stereo that I want to permanently install a Pi running Moode and have it hidden inside the cabinet. I would like a DAC that has no buttons or interface other than RCA output to connect to the tape inputs of my console amp. I don't need anything fancy, just a nice DAC that won't break the bank. I was thinking Hifiberry, but there isn't a lot of love for them.

I currently have an older iFi nano iDSD that I use for headphone duties which I like. I tried it on the console stereo and loved the way it sounded.

Let me know your thoughts! 

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Ozzmosis 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you are using the existing console electronics and speakers then you likely would be satisfied with almost any external DAC (as opposed to the RPi's onboard DAC).

I'd choose one based on price and availability where I live. I don't think I'd want to spend more than USD50 on one for this application because I don't think the better sound quality and additional features one presumes are obtained with a greater expenditure would be apparent.

I have no quarrel with HiFIBerry's gear. I own one each of their original DAC+ and DAC+ Pro. They were my first DAC HATs, purchased several years ago. They work fine in unassuming systems. I guess the DAC+ Pro has been retired and replaced by their DAC2 Pro.

HiFiBerry have competitors in this price range; I just don't have any experience with them. I wouldn't be surprised if your needs are met by an even more unassuming DAC like one of the stripped down RPi Zero-sized ones.

I've moved up to USD100-level USB DACs such as the Khadas Tone Board, which I like on my modest living room system and which would fit your purpose. The Topping offerings between roughly USD100 and USD150 look very good to me but you'd be burying their lovely displays inside your cabinet. Again, I'm not sure the extra expense is warranted.

ETA: I forgot to mention I've also been looking as well at the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II at about USD100. Here again you'd be burying the front panel inside your cabinet.
DIsclaimer: I'm just giving my personal opinions here based on limited experience and not on any thorough knowledge of all the offerings out there.

Good luck and good on you for repurposing that fine old console cabinet. Brings back pleasant memories of my youth listening to my parent's LPs which set me on a life-time mission of always being able to listen to music I choose rather than what some broadcaster chose.

Regards,
Kent
Maybe consider to wait a little for the upcoming release of Allo Boss gen2. I don't have any experience with their products, but regarding rumors and all I've read the last year most customers are totally happy with their products.
Thanks for the replies!

The Boss sounds like a nice unit. I wonder when they will releases v2, and if the current version will drop in price. This will be going on a Rpi 3B+.

Since I'm in Canada, finding the best price is a headache. Luckily buyapi.ca has the Boss, and should be about $100 shipped. Might order one next month.

I'm currently replacing the electrolytic caps in the amp of the console. Should be done by next week.
I have a HiFiBerry DAC+ that is perfectly adequate. It looks as if the IQaudio DACs are now "official raspberry Pi" hardware and many folks like them. If I were buying a new board now, I'd get one from there.
----------------
Robert
(01-24-2021, 10:30 AM)zOr7gA8 Wrote: Maybe consider to wait a little for the upcoming release of Allo Boss gen2. I don't have any experience with their products, but regarding rumors and all I've read the last year most customers are totally happy with their products.

Since the tweaked Allo Boss listening quality is simply astonishing (equivalent to several thousands of $ of good audiophile units),  I'm a little afraid about the listening quality of this future version, even tweaked.

By the way, today's Allo Boss is really excellent, even "stock"...
musical regards

y.
That makes me curious, what did you tweak on the Allo Boss to make it even better?
The Allo Boss revision 1.2 is one of my fav DAC's. It's the only PCM5122 based DAC that I'm aware of that has virtually no start/stop audio glitches :-) I don't know if the revision 1.2 board is still available though. All Ive seen is the rev 1.4 board for sale and it has a somewhat different layout.

I'm also curious what the tweaks are. Maybe something to allow feeding the board a separate power supply?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Yeah, don't leave us in the dark, tell us more! lol