Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: SQ differnces RPI 3B+ vs RPI4
I use the RPI 3B+ with the Allo Katana stack, and 3 serious LP's including the Allo Shanti. My unit is modified, none of the USB power inputs are used, and it is so musical using Moode Audio.

I have read from the beginning that when the RPI 4 came out, it has more power, more speed, a more powerful CPU  yet when compared to the older RPI3B+, it sounded worse when using a HAT Dac due to a higher noise floor.

Has anyone tried using first the RPI 3B+ and then an RPI 4 and notice the differences?

Looking forward to hearing all your responses.

Liz
(01-31-2021, 10:51 AM)7 Lizard_King Wrote: I use the RPI 3B+ with the Allo Katana stack, and 3 serious LP's including the Allo Shanti. My unit is modified, none of the USB power inputs are used, and it is so musical using Moode Audio.

I have read from the beginning that when the RPI 4 came out, it has more power, more speed, a more powerful CPU  yet when compared to the older RPI3B+, it sounded worse when using a HAT Dac due to a higher noise floor.

Has anyone tried using first the RPI 3B+ and then an RPI 4 and notice the differences?

Liz

I would have to agree with you. When I changed from the Pi3 B+ to the Pi4, the sound became harsh and uncomfortable to listen to, so I changed back. (Allo DigiOne Signature feeding a Chord Mojo). 

I have since upgraded to an Allo USBridge Signature Edition (which uses the Pi Compute Module)
with a Shanti power supply, feeding a Chord Qutest, and all sounds great.

You may want to search YouTube to see what the Dutch audio guru Hans Beekhuyzen has to say about the Pi4.
Thanks for your response., I am aleady panning on getting the USBridge. I did see that You tube video and so I stayed with the 3b+ Trust me when I say use the Allo Dac so you can use I2s , which is much better the USB.

(01-31-2021, 11:03 AM)HaroldWilkin Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 10:51 AM)7 Lizard_King Wrote: I use the RPI 3B+ with the Allo Katana stack, and 3 serious LP's including the Allo Shanti. My unit is modified, none of the USB power inputs are used, and it is so musical using Moode Audio.

Liz

I would have to agree with you. When I changed from the Pi3 B+ to the Pi4, the sound became harsh and uncomfortable to listen to, so I changed back. (Allo DigiOne Signature feeding a Chord Mojo). 

I have since upgraded to an Allo USBridge Signature Edition (which uses the Pi Compute Module)
with a Shanti power supply, feeding a Chord Qutest, and all sounds great.

You may want to search YouTube to see what the Dutch audio guru Hans Beekhuyzen has to say about the Pi4.
@HaroldWilkin 

Thanks for the tip about Hans Beekhuyzen. I just watched his "Which device sounds better" video. What a great overview of his pragmatic outlook, just what I've come to expect from the Dutch. The lovely oscilloscope visible over his left shoulder is reassuring too!

Regards,
Kent
(01-31-2021, 02:06 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @HaroldWilkin 

Thanks for the tip about Hans Beekhuyzen. I just watched his "Which device sounds better" video. What a great overview of his pragmatic outlook, just what I've come to expect from the Dutch. The lovely oscilloscope visible over his left shoulder is reassuring too!

Regards,
Kent

No problem. Hans does a new YouTube video every Friday afternoon European time. They are all related to digital playback and are often very enlightening. I would particularly recommend his archive videos about audio hygiene, speaker placement, power supplies and everything Pi related.
Words to live by

"Whatever you borrow, buy, or steal, perfection is a goal, not a reality" - Hans Beekhuyzen.

I'd add "or build" to the list, but his observation is spot on.

Regards,
Kent
I have been running a 4B for 5 months and was just not happy. Switching back to the 3B+ and putting in Edwards tweaks and it just sounds more musical to me. 

My two cents
Where di I find Edward’s tweaks?
https://github.com/dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments
(02-05-2021, 01:31 PM)Botte Wrote: https://github.com/dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments

Or use my fork, which creates separate config files for everything, only editing /etc/rc.local.

https://github.com/philrandal/Linux-Audio-Adjustments

Phil