Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

PeppyMeter and moOde
(03-28-2021, 03:02 PM)adrii Wrote: Hi Francesco

If the error is due to an incompatibility between your settings and the equalisers (rather than a direct issue with the mpd_oled configuration) then what is happening next may be that after producing the ALSA error MPD has not restarted correctly, and so you can put good seetings into /etc/asound.conf but MPD does not read them and you end up with the same ALSA error. Try editing /etc/asound.conf to use your device (bypassing the equaliser) and then restart MPD with 'sudo systemctl restart mpd' and then click on MPD Config "SAVE". I don't know all the details of this, it is just something I have noticed.

Do you get the same error with SoX disabled?

If you are still unable to troubleshoot this, then please run the following commands and post the contents of report.txt
Code:
wget http://www.antiprism.com/misc/mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_report
bash mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_report > report.txt

Adrian.
Hi Adrian,
I created both the configuration (on rpi3 and on rpi4) from 2 scratch (7.1.0), without SoX and with mpd_oled only.
I am sure that you can reproduce it just starting with a clear uSD.
If you need I can do that (Please let me know) but, currently, I am working on another configuration.
Thanks and best regards,
Francesco
Hi all,
please be informed that I have created a small repository with the information on HOW TO.
This is my first github and so, please, let me know any advise, correction, suggestion, etc.

https://github.com/FdeAlexa/PeppyMeter_and_moOde#readme

Thanks so much to everybody,
Francesco
(03-28-2021, 04:03 PM)fdealexa Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 03:02 PM)adrii Wrote: Hi Francesco

If the error is due to an incompatibility between your settings and the equalisers (rather than a direct issue with the mpd_oled configuration) then what is happening next may be that after producing the ALSA error MPD has not restarted correctly, and so you can put good seetings into /etc/asound.conf but MPD does not read them and you end up with the same ALSA error. Try editing /etc/asound.conf to use your device (bypassing the equaliser) and then restart MPD with 'sudo systemctl restart mpd' and then click on MPD Config "SAVE". I don't know all the details of this, it is just something I have noticed.

Do you get the same error with SoX disabled?

If you are still unable to troubleshoot this, then please run the following commands and post the contents of report.txt
Code:
wget http://www.antiprism.com/misc/mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_report
bash mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_report > report.txt

Adrian.
Hi Adrian,
I created both the configuration (on rpi3 and on rpi4) from 2 scratch (7.1.0), without SoX and with mpd_oled only.
I am sure that you can reproduce it just starting with a clear uSD.
If you need I can do that (Please let me know) but, currently, I am working on another configuration.
Thanks and best regards,
Francesco
Hi Adrian,
herewith enclosed the report for the rpi 3.

.zip   report.zip (Size: 1.76 KB / Downloads: 5)
Regards snd thanks,
Francesco
P.S.: I had to zip it because the post does not accept any .txt
Hi Francesco

Thank you posting the report.

I was unable to reproduce the error you are seeing. I installed a copy of Moode 7.1 on a Pi 4 and enabled the Headphone jack as output
and checked I had audio. I then enabled the graphic equaliser and checked I had audio. I then ran my audio copy install script, but I no longer had audio, because the loopback device was now card 1 instead of the headphone jack. I reselected the headphone jack as output and I had audio again. I don't have an OLED attached, but I ran a copy of cava in a terminal and it was able to use the loopback device for input, so the audio copy script is working correctly.

In which case, if you made no other configuration changes to Moode, the error may lie with using HDMI with the audio copy configuration, but after the error you saw MPD was not restarted correctly and so you continued to see it with a good configuration.

Adrian.
Hello Adrian,
first of all I wish to say to you that the configuration without any additional DAC is not in my plan and I am not using it, but I am working on it for testing purposes only.
I have tried without HDMI and tried to mace changes, I have used the 

Quote:sudo systemctl restart mpd

command too, but any results. I got the music back after the unistall script.

So I decided to make some additional tests, from scratch but without any result.
I have tried the sequence you described on a rpi 4: same problem.

I have some questions:
1. When you mention "my audio copy install script": is it the "mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_install" dated 21 march on your github issue #65? (Without the cava, mpd_oled)
2. The version of moOde image is "moode-r710-iso.img" 17 march dimension 4.362.240?
3. After the script, to see the loopback on the Output device, I had to reboot the system: did you?
4. I haven't configure anything on the moOde: still America/Detroit, etc.
5. I have tried to change the "Mixer type" to be sure the MPD restarts... no result.
6. If I disable the equalizer: it's ok, if I enable it back: again the message.

I have reinstalled it (from scratch) several time to be sure, before disturb you again, sorry.
If you like here you can find the image of the system...

Thanks and regards,
Francesco
Hi Francesco

1. Yes, mpd_oled_moode_audio_copy_install from the zip file.

2. I have the 7.1 image from that date. It is zipped and don't know the exact size of the image.

3. Yes. The audio copy install script also says to reboot.

4 My only changes were the audio device selection, enabling SSH and the song metafile, and changing the timezone (which are all necessary  for using mpd_oled). I didn't see eny errors at all (although I had to reselect the Headphone jack device after configuring the loopback device)

5. I left the mixer type on softvol

I don't know what is different or why you are seeing this error. However, I recommend that after you have seen the error message if you then change the ALSA configuration that you should immediately run 'sudo systemctl restart mpd' and then click  "SAVE" on the MPD Config page before you do anything else (although I cannot confirm that this is necessary).

Adrian.
Wow Francesco you’ve made amazing progress on this project, i have a new pi4 just showed up today, I  will work it out a little and get on installing  peppymeter I saw you had instructions for moode 7.1.0 I was gonna use this unless 7.0.1 is easier, any input? Thanks for all this work, great write up too. Aaron
@Indigent Audio
Hi Aaron,
Please follow these https://github.com/FdeAlexa/PeppyMeter_and_moOde#readme instructions and use 7.1.0.
I am very glad you like it.
Best regards and thanks,
Francesco
P.S.: ...and, of course, please let me know
Hi folks,

I can't get peppymeter working on my Moode.

I use 7.1, usb DAC and display on PC browser (FF) or phone browser (FF too)

Everything works fine till seing VU meters on display :

Code:
pi@moOde:~/PeppyMeter $ sudo python3 peppymeter.py
pygame 1.9.4.post1
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "peppymeter.py", line 238, in <module>
   pm.init_display()
 File "peppymeter.py", line 142, in init_display
   pygame.display.init()
pygame.error: Unable to open mouse
Ctrl C

Code:
Exception ignored in: <module 'threading' from '/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py'>
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1281, in _shutdown
   t.join()
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1032, in join
   self._wait_for_tstate_lock()
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1048, in _wait_for_tstate_lock
   elif lock.acquire(block, timeout):
KeyboardInterrupt

I see nothing on display except Moode classical UI.

I also have to use mixer type : Fixed. It's usually set to Hardware but with this setting I can't see the L/R bars under putty. Sofware causes me MPD error.
Another thing, I don't have to change the line
Code:
"pipe.name = /var/tmp/peppyfifo"

under config.txt but create it because it's not in the original file.

I tried to play with Local display on system config but it changes nothing

What's supposed to be wrong in my case ?
(04-19-2021, 08:08 PM)jazzaj Wrote: Hi folks,

I can't get peppymeter working on my Moode.

I use 7.1, usb DAC and display on PC browser (FF) or phone browser (FF too)

Everything works fine till seing VU meters on display :

Code:
pi@moOde:~/PeppyMeter $ sudo python3 peppymeter.py
pygame 1.9.4.post1
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
 File "peppymeter.py", line 238, in <module>
   pm.init_display()
 File "peppymeter.py", line 142, in init_display
   pygame.display.init()
pygame.error: Unable to open mouse
Ctrl C

Code:
Exception ignored in: <module 'threading' from '/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py'>
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1281, in _shutdown
   t.join()
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1032, in join
   self._wait_for_tstate_lock()
 File "/usr/lib/python3.7/threading.py", line 1048, in _wait_for_tstate_lock
   elif lock.acquire(block, timeout):
KeyboardInterrupt

I see nothing on display except Moode classical UI.

I also have to use mixer type : Fixed. It's usually set to Hardware but with this setting I can't see the L/R bars under putty. Sofware causes me MPD error.
Another thing, I don't have to change the line
Code:
"pipe.name = /var/tmp/peppyfifo"

under config.txt but create it because it's not in the original file.

I tried to play with Local display on system config but it changes nothing

What's supposed to be wrong in my case ?

Hi jazzaj,
The configuration reported on Github to run the Peppymeter in the moode environment is based on the fb0 that (as default) is the directly attached display to the rpi (normally touch-screen 7").
It you want to run on a remote terminal you need to run VNC on the pc and to run VNC server on the rpi.
I am sorry: I don't have detailed instruction. I have tested it a long time ago and don't have any notes.
You can see how is the aspect in the original peppymeter github at this page https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyMe...ki/Display.
Please let me know if you need any additional help.
Regards,
Francesco