Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

I2S output to Denafrips Pontus
I'm currently researching DACs. In the moOde Audio Config drop-down menu for "I2S Audio Device", the Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC comes up, which is not a HAT but a standalone DAC unit. 

How would one connect this to a Raspberry Pi? Would the Pi's HDMI put out I2S then? Any Idea if this also works with the current Pontus II model?
- moOde 7.0.1
- Allo USBridge Signature (Ethernet)
- Streaming Tidal to device via Bubble-UPnP (Android smartphone)
- miniDSP 2x4 HD (connected via USB of course)
- 24" monitor connected via the USBridge's HDMI output
(02-13-2021, 11:08 AM)Reddo84 Wrote: I'm currently researching DACs. In the moOde Audio Config drop-down menu for "I2S Audio Device", the Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC comes up, which is not a HAT but a standalone DAC unit. 

How would one connect this to a Raspberry Pi? Would the Pi's HDMI put out I2S then? Any Idea if this also works with the current Pontus II model?

Dear Reddo84,

I am using Denafrips PONTUS II DAC with Moode Audio 

You can not use the Pi's HDMI Out to I2S Input on Denafrips PONTUS as it is a different function, but you can use the Pi's USB connection though.

Should you want to use the PONTUS I2S input then you would need to use a DDC (Digital to Digital Converter)

Denafrips has Iris DDC which take USB in then convert it to I2S Out with FIFO Reclocker on board

For me, i build my own DDC using Ian Canada Board

Hope it helps
Best
(03-03-2021, 12:06 PM)ChumAudio Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 11:08 AM)Reddo84 Wrote: I'm currently researching DACs. In the moOde Audio Config drop-down menu for "I2S Audio Device", the Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC comes up, which is not a HAT but a standalone DAC unit. 

Dear Reddo84,

I am using Denafrips PONTUS II DAC with Moode Audio 

You can not use the Pi's HDMI Out to I2S Input on Denafrips PONTUS as it is a different function, but you can use the Pi's USB connection though.

Should you want to use the PONTUS I2S input then you would need to use a DDC (Digital to Digital Converter)

Denafrips has Iris DDC which take USB in then convert it to I2S Out with FIFO Reclocker on board

For me, i build my own DDC using Ian Canada Board

Hope it helps
Best

Not that I'll ever have one, but the Denafrips website offers this spec for the Pontus

Quote:Digital Input

Coax 1 via RCA
  Coax 2 via BNC 75 Ω
  TOSLink x 1
  AES EBU x 2
  USB
  I²S via HDMI LVDS / RJ45 LVCMOS

Regards,
Kent

You would be able to connect via USB which will achieve the highest capabilities of the Pontus.