Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: helicopter sounds
I installed latest Moode (7.0.1) on Rpi 3B+, using USB audio output "TX-HIFI Type C" in MPD

I turn off SOX resambling and let everything go directly to the USB.

Everything works great until I switch internet radio stations one too many times, then I get an awful helicopter sound, audio barely recognizable.  Forces me to reboot.  (It seems to get worse until it dies if I don't do anything.)  The sound starts usually immediately after a program switch (and I only noticed with internet radio so far).  

I tried fiddling with settings but there is no change.

I did not get this problem with other audio systems e.g. volumio but I've no idea what that says

nothing in logs that I can see.  Restarting MPD does not solve - need a full reboot.

USB fix does not change behavior

Tnx for considering.
Bean
@beanlime 

I don't know much about these so-called headphone adapters and judging from the lack of response to your post, nobody else does either. They aren't well documented and from hits I get on the InterWeb™ they don't appear to have a stellar reputation (even the Apple-branded one).

Based on your description, I don't think this is a moOde-specific problem. I suspect the problem is triggered by some particular change in encoding or bitrate when you switch stations. I don't have anyway to test my hypothesis except to say no USB DAC I've tried has exhibited the same symptom.

Sorry I can't help.

Regards,
Kent
On my USB DAC (Klipsch), a change in bit rate will generate a blast of white noise. It would happen with changes in radio stations but also within my collection (I'll confess to a few mp3's).

Easily solved by setting the SoX Resampling.
(02-14-2021, 04:25 PM)dwlacroix Wrote: On my USB DAC (Klipsch), a change in bit rate will generate a blast of white noise. It would happen with changes in radio stations but also within my collection (I'll confess to a few mp3's).

Easily solved by setting the SoX Resampling.

This sounds like a different problem.  SoX has been tried with no change.

@Kent It may well be something about the limitations of the usb dac, but even though it is a cheapo, it has worked really well with other software.  I suppose that (switching to different software) is the fallback solution, but I really like the Moode user interface.  I might have to spring for a better dac.

Tnx for suggestions
@beanlime

I've had the problem on occasion too. Have you ever played with the input cache in the mpd config? When I set it from 0 to 128MB, the problems disappeared.

@Norbert
Thanks very much for suggestions.  Alas in my case this did not help. I played with all variant options in the MPD.  Interestingly when I restart MPD nothing changes..the helicopter sound persists once it has started. If I reboot, however, all is golden (until, after a programme change, it fails again).  So I almost doubt it is MPD, and I am a little skeptical it is even the DAC.  If I unplug the USB dac and replug it in the problem also persists once it has started.  Until reboot.  Seems like something is getting initialized only on reboot not on mpd restart.  What could that be?

if the USB dac did not sound so good I would chuck it in but it actually sounds extremely clean.  I can't easily distinguish from an IQ Audio Dac.  (which might be my limitation).