Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Spotify Hi-Fi
https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-02-22/...tify-hifi/
It seems to actually be happening at last, but seems to be CD quality only at the moment, not Hi-Res.
Still, it's a step in the right direction.
I was asked by Spotify to fill out a survey about it which suggested it would be £5 extra a month. I said I wouldn't be willing to pay that much. I'm an outlier though, I prefer to spend money on buying music directly rather than using subscription streaming. That was my money goes more directly to the bands I listen to, rather than getting hoovered up by who ever most other people listen to Smile
----------------
Robert
(02-24-2021, 08:03 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I was asked by Spotify to fill out a survey about it which suggested it would be £5 extra a month.  I said I wouldn't be willing to pay that much.  I'm an outlier though, I prefer to spend money on buying music directly rather than using subscription streaming.  That was my money goes more directly to the bands I listen to, rather than getting hoovered up by who ever most other people listen to Smile

I buy music mostly from bandcamp but it was Spotify that enabled me to discover a lot of what are now my favourite artists though, just by browsing recommendations & listening to their auto curated playlists.
For anyone on a budget it's £10 a month well spent for all the music you can listen to, even less for a family plan.
I agree though, I much prefer to support the artist directly, buying CD's at gigs, Bandcamp etc .
(02-24-2021, 08:28 PM)grasshopper Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 08:03 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I was asked by Spotify to fill out a survey about it which suggested it would be £5 extra a month.  I said I wouldn't be willing to pay that much.  I'm an outlier though, I prefer to spend money on buying music directly rather than using subscription streaming.  That was my money goes more directly to the bands I listen to, rather than getting hoovered up by who ever most other people listen to Smile

I buy music mostly from bandcamp but it was Spotify that enabled me to discover a lot of what are now my favourite artists though, just by browsing recommendations & listening to their auto curated playlists.
For anyone on a budget it's £10 a month well spent for all the music you can listen to, even less for a family plan.
I agree though, I much prefer to support the artist directly, buying CD's at gigs, Bandcamp etc .

Drifting off topic, but hey, here goes...
I love Bandcamp, in fact I get upset when a band I like releases elsewhere because it is really hard to find lossless downloads form other places.  I agree with you though, that if one has the budget then subscription streaming is a great tool for discovering new artists but I'll definitely save my extra cash for buying music in high quality rather than paying more to stream it in high quality.  Also, let's not forget that Bandcamp is in fact a high quality steaming service already, just the payment model is different is all Smile
----------------
Robert
(02-25-2021, 09:13 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 08:28 PM)grasshopper Wrote:

Drifting off topic, but hey, here goes...
I love Bandcamp, in fact I get upset when a band I like releases elsewhere because it is really hard to find lossless downloads form other places.  I agree with you though, that if one has the budget then subscription streaming is a great tool for discovering new artists but I'll definitely save my extra cash for buying music in high quality rather than paying more to stream it in high quality.  Also, let's not forget that Bandcamp is in fact a high quality steaming service already, just the payment model is different is all Smile

Yes, I like that Bandcamp has mostly Hi-Res downloads, I don't think I have ever seen the resolution of the download before the purchase though, I just knew it would be 16/44.1 as a minimum.  I have been disappointed a couple of times though, one album I really wanted in Hi-Res as a CD I had heard was amazing was only 16/44.1 after purchase.  Still, it's amazing, but I was hoping for 24/48 or better.
I jumped the streaming ship from Spotify to Amazon HD last year, that's another good app for the money & I like that there is one version of the ablum, the quality is determined by how you're streaming or what your're streaming on.  Whereas on Tidal there are different Hi-Res albums of the same title, different resolutions, you need to play each one to know the resolution.  It's messy IMO where the Amazon HD way is much easier.  Shame you cannot stream like Spotify Connect etc but a decent Hi-Res option for the budget conscious.
I am wondering if the librespot library in Moode will support the new Spotify HiFi later this year?
In any case the Moode Spotify Config settings would need to support HiFi as bitrate (next to 320, 160, 96).
Any thoughts?
W
Try asking the librespot team
https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot/issues
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I asked it in librespot discussions (https://github.com/librespot-org/libresp...ssions/669), in short: impossible to tell until the HiFi feature is released to the public.
W
(03-11-2021, 07:08 PM)ycdtosa Wrote: I asked it in librespot discussions (https://github.com/librespot-org/libresp...ssions/669), in short: impossible to tell until the HiFi feature is released to the public.

They can't really answer any other way can they at the moment.  Hopefully it will because Spotify Connect is quite brilliant.
(06-03-2021, 07:48 AM)IdaGoodman Wrote: I am wondering if the librespot library in Moode will support the new Spotify HiFi later this year?
In any case the Moode Spotify Config settings would need to support HiFi as bitrate (next to 320, 160, 96).
Any thoughts?

Perhaps a question better suited to ask at librespot, there is already (at least) this thread about it:
https://github.com/librespot-org/libresp...ssions/669
----------------
Robert