Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Apply Parametric EQ values using AutoEQ result
Hello,

I am running Moode Audio 7.0.1 on Rpi4  and trying to setup the Parametric EQ using Project Auto EQ results.  The Sennheiser HD650 setting has a Fc = 19869 Hz which Moode Audio won't accept the value.  Any suggestion?  Or there is another existed Parametric EQ profile available for HD650 that I can use for HD650 headphones.

Thank you for your time,

E
In the code the upper limit for freq is 18000 Hz but I don't know whether this can be bumped. Maybe @bitlab can have a look.

Code:
PortInfo
EqFA12p::port_info [] =
{
    {"a.act", CTRL_IN | GROUP, {DEFAULT_0 | INTEGER, 0,1}, EqFA4pBandModes},
    {"a.f (Hz)", CTRL_IN, {DEFAULT_LOW | LOG, 10, 18000}},
    {"a.bw", CTRL_IN, {DEFAULT_1, .06, 16}},
    {"a.gain (dB)", CTRL_IN, {DEFAULT_0, -24, 24}},
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@newbie

While waiting for a resolution of the high-frequency limit issue, have you tried what the AutoEQ page suggests for the HD650?

Quote:The first 5 filters can be used independently. When using independent subset of filters, apply preamp of -6.3 dB.

The center frequency of the 5th filter is a comfortable 8661 Hz.

Regards,
Kent
Hi,

Yes I have.  I applied the AutoEQ setting except the Fc values > 18000 Hz.

TheOldPresbyope@newbie

While waiting for a resolution of the high-frequency limit issue, have you tried what the AutoEQ page suggests for the HD650?
(02-24-2021, 02:23 PM)newbie Wrote: Yes I have.  I applied the AutoEQ setting except the Fc values > 18000 Hz.

You could try modelling the filters in REW. It can be easier to see what's going on. You could probably achieve the same result with a filter just below 18 kHz with a slightly different Q and gain.
(02-24-2021, 02:23 PM)newbie Wrote: Hi,

TheOldPresbyope@newbie

That's not quite what the site suggested. 

It would be interesting to know if you can tell the difference in listening tests between applying the first 5 filters as suggested vs the first 8 as you apparently used. 

Certainly you could model the two choices as @bluefuzz suggested, either in REW or in the Python code in the AutoEq repo, and that's such a neat exercise I may try it myself, but I suspect you'll have trouble deciding which resulting curve is "better" without listening tests.

Regards,
Kent
(02-24-2021, 03:19 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 02:23 PM)newbie Wrote: Hi,

TheOldPresbyope@newbie

That's not quite what the site suggested. 

It would be interesting to know if you can tell the difference in listening tests between applying the first 5 filters as suggested vs the first 8 as you apparently used. 

Certainly you could model the two choices as @bluefuzz suggested, either in REW or in the Python code in the AutoEq repo, and that's such a neat exercise I may try it myself, but I suspect you'll have trouble deciding which resulting curve is "better" without listening tests.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

You are right.  Need more coffee.  Let me apply the first 5 filters and report back.    I will need to read up on REW and howto on the python code in the AutoEq repo before I can try it out.

E
I listened on couple of songs.   I don't think I can tell the difference.
(02-25-2021, 03:37 PM)newbie Wrote: I listened on couple of songs.   I don't think I can tell the difference.

OK, now that you've done the listening test I can confess I didn't really think you'd notice. If you're no longer a young teenager, you're already experiencing age-related hearing loss which only gets worse as you get older. Those last few filters have center frequencies that are way above what I, for example, can still hear. (There are online hearing tests to help you prove this to yourself.)

Give yourself time to acclimate to the compensated headphones and then let us know if you think the experience is more "natural" (whatever this term means to you). Listening to headphones is by definition an unnatural experience, of course, but many folks find they actually like the hyper-real sound of their uncompensated headphones. This is why I recommend attending live performances as often as one can so it's easier to remember how they sound.

Regards,
Kent
(02-25-2021, 05:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Those last few filters have center frequencies that are way above what I, for example, can still hear.

They are very low Q, though, with quite a lot ot of negative gain. So they could easily be affecting frequencies south of 10 kHz. But very probably not hugely audible as they are in the 'optional' segment of the AutoEQ settings.