Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Trouble with YouTube and Airplay
Hi,

First of all, I would much appreciate the excellent job Tim Curtis and MoOde Team is doing. I am a happy user of MoOde on RPi4 and Pi2AES.

We are observing that when we tried to play music through the YouTube and Airplay, it only plays for 10s and stops.  In the Apple forum some user mentioned that the problem is related to the fact that YouTube only supports Airplay2.  

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251...4742964022

Has anyone experiencing the same problem? Is it possible the Airplay renderer differentiate Airplay 1 from Airplay 2?

Thanks in advance by your support.

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos
(03-03-2021, 04:30 PM)mtavares Wrote: Hi,

First of all, I would much appreciate the excellent job Tim Curtis and MoOde Team is doing. I am a happy user of MoOde on RPi4 and Pi2AES.

We are observing that when we tried to play music through the YouTube and Airplay, it only plays for 10s and stops.  In the Apple forum some user mentioned that the problem is related to the fact that YouTube only supports Airplay2.  

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251...4742964022

Has anyone experiencing the same problem? Is it possible the Airplay renderer differentiate Airplay 1 from Airplay 2?

Thanks in advance by your support.

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos

No problem here with either the YouTube app or the YouTube Music app on my iPad and a test release of moOde 7.1.0 on an RPi4B, both communicating via WiFi to mesh network.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope

Thanks by your prompt reply.

I will verify later with my iPad.

I forgot to mention that I am using as YouTube source: an AppleTV 4k (tvOS 14.5 beta). I tried with an AppleTV and the problem is the same. In my configuration I use the equipments connected through wired ethernet connection. The ethernet performance is better than Wi-Fi here.

Regards,

QJA

Marcos
(03-03-2021, 05:37 PM)mtavares Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope

Thanks by your prompt reply.

I will verify later with my iPad.

I forgot to mention that I am using as  YouTube source: an AppleTV 4k (tvOS 14.5 beta). I tried with an AppleTV and the problem is the same. In my configuration I use the equipments connected through wired ethernet connection. The ethernet performance is better than Wi-Fi here.

Regards,

QJA

Marcos

The Airplay renderer in moOde is shairport-sync. It seems to be working with many Airplay sources.

The shairport-sync Readme.md says "Shairport Sync is an AirPlay audio player – it plays audio streamed from iTunes, iOS, Apple TV and macOS devices and AirPlay sources such as Quicktime Player and ForkedDaapd, among others."

If there's an issue specifically with an AppleTV and its Airplay service, it should be brought to the attention of the shairport-sync dev.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope

Sorry by my ignorance. But how can I do to contact the shairport-sync dev. team with this issue?

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos
(03-03-2021, 06:22 PM)mtavares Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope

Sorry by my ignorance. But how can I do to contact the shairport-sync dev. team with this issue?

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos

Oops, sorry. Somehow I borked the link to the shairport-sync site. It is https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

Go there and look at the line near the top. The second entry is "Issues". Click on it and start a new issue. (You'll be asked to create a GitHub account if you don't have one but that's free and easy to do.)

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope

Thanks by your support.

I confirmed your test. YouTube audio works correcty on the iPhone and mirror it on the AppleTV. This issue is related to the AppleTV only after TvOS 14.

I opened this issue on the GitHub shairport-sync per your suggestion. Let's hope they find the solution.

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos
@TheOldPresbyope

After the support from the GitHub shairport-sync developer, he developed an Airplay 2 version that fix this issue.

Will it be possible to release an MoOde version with this new functionality?

Best Regards,

QJA

Marcos
@mtavares

Tim already answered on another thread.

For the record, moOde is already running the latest release (3.3.8) of shairport-sync.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope

Kent,

Thanks by your response. At least there is a solution in place, that requires more reliability to be included in the production line. There is a solution in the horizon.

Best Regards, QJA

Marcos