Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: HDMI no sound Onkyo tx-nr474
I have updated Raspios on PI4 to Bullseye. There is alsa 1.2.4, but with vc4-kms-v3d audio, results are more or less the same. And while Raspios works somehow, is not ready yet.
I have confirmed with Justboom technical team in the UK that the Justboom Digi Hat should output 24-192 and 6 channel, so I went ahead and ordered a unit.  I will double confirm that this solved this second issue we have been working on regarding the HDMI at 24 bit output.

As a postmortem, it seems that hdmi audio is better supported in linux 5.10 but there is no wip moode-wise to move from the current linux 5.4 for the 24 bit limitation, so I am opting to try a hardware solution as indicated.

However, can somebody let me know how to mark this thread "Solved" as I get plenty of sound now!
(03-15-2021, 05:52 AM)CoppolaVH Wrote: However, can somebody let me know how to mark this thread "Solved" as I get plenty of sound now!

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2977
----------------
Robert
(03-15-2021, 05:52 AM)CoppolaVH Wrote: I have confirmed with Justboom technical team in the UK that the Justboom Digi Hat should output 24-192 and 6 channel, so I went ahead and ordered a unit.  I will double confirm that this solved this second issue we have been working on regarding the HDMI at 24 bit output.

As a postmortem, it seems that hdmi audio is better supported in linux 5.10 but there is no wip moode-wise to move from the current linux 5.4 for the 24 bit limitation, so I am opting to try a hardware solution as indicated.

However, can somebody let me know how to mark this thread "Solved" as I get plenty of sound now!

Do you have any links regarding 5.10 kernel and HDMI? I'd like to check them out.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-15-2021, 05:52 AM)CoppolaVH Wrote: I have confirmed with Justboom technical team in the UK that the Justboom Digi Hat should output 24-192 and 6 channel, so I went ahead and ordered a unit.  I will double confirm that this solved this second issue we have been working on regarding the HDMI at 24 bit output.

It's trivial to update/upgrade a moOde 7.4 installation (mine is currently running kernel 5.4.77-v7l+) from Buster (RaspiOS 10.x) to Bullseye (RaspiOS 11). Currently the upgrade will bump moOde to kernel 5.10.60-v7l+.

When I did this 10 days ago as an experiment moOde appeared to continue to work normally with a USB DAC but I did not do any definitive testing of all the bells and whistles to see if anything broke in the process. I also have not explored yet how the build script will have to be adjusted to work from Bullseye.

Regards,
Kent
(10-01-2021, 11:23 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Do you have any links regarding 5.10 kernel and HDMI? I'd like to check them out.

Hello Tim, 

I am sorry, but I don't have any links I can recall regarding 5.10 kernel, however in this github link I created there is some discussions regarding approaches to the 6ch 24 bit downsampling with patches that will only run on higher linux kernels.  [/url]

[url=https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4204]
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4204
The patches referred to in the git issue are for alsa and would be independent of the kernel however there was no resolution of the issue yet so still open.

Over the years I've never seen a concrete solution to HDMI audio on the Pi. It always seems to have bit-depth or sample-rate issues. I can see in the kernel hdmi driver there is support for 24-bit audio but its a very complex driver and so not clear to me what has to be present in PCM frames output by ALSA to green light 24 bit. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blo...deo/hdmi.c
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub