Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Audio Streamer in a wood block
Hi,

here is my current project, already posted on Harbeth User Group Here.

The project is based on MoOde Audio, a RaspBerry Pi 4 4Gb, a HiFiBerry DAC2 HD HAT, an MSL Digital Remote Pi board, and a wood block of multiply Beech of 15X20X3,5cm.

My aim is to create something nice to look at as well as convenient and high audio sound quality.

Currently, everything runs fine. MoOde Audio 7.0.1 has been tuned to work with the HAT, scripts for Remote Pi board have been included (shutting down in MoOde Audio has the Remote Pi cut the power off, power on and off from pushbutton or remote pi works fine to boot and shut down the RPi too. The Remote Pi has learned ON/OFF from my amp remote, and I managed to install lirc and recognize some commands from my CD player too :-).

WIP, so check out the link here up.

Comments most welcome.

Regards,

Greg
That site requires a login, at least for me. Try posting some pics here.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Damn!

Sorry about that! I'll definitely need to find a way to host pictures...

I'll search for that.

Greg
You can just upload them right in your post
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
And here it is, hopefully:

And the inside:

Made with a scrap from my DIY audio rack for the body, mainly with a router, a Raspberry Pi 4B 4Gb, un HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and an MSL Digital Remote Pi (the three connected with a dual PCI ribbon that MSL Digital can create to your quotes) board that manages power on-off, soft start, and that is integrated with MoOde to shut down properly linux before shutting completely the power, and reacts too at MoOde.local shutdown command. It also offers On-Off from a remote (I learned this from my amp remote, to have both turned on and off together), and can with a bit of LIRC work, receive remote commands now from my CD player remote to Mac play/pause/stop/cdprev/next and so on.

The two fans harness is shown in the picture but is a bit noisy, so I removed it. Rpi is working at around 59°C, which seems fine to me, CPU still not throttled, load minimal (4%) while streaming from Spotify (moodeutl -m told me these). 

I replaced the pushbutton and leds that came with the remote pi by my own (I do not like the usual pushbutton one can see on practically all the DIY projects, nor the too common red/green dual led), and went for more discreet pushbutton (the white knob at the back) and more fancy color leds (Orange for standby/off, blue for on, white for setup/firmware/shutdown sequence).

I deported the RCA output at the back, with WBT 0201 I happen to have; the Remote pi is plugged into a Cliff passthrough USB-C connector (Neutrik-like footprint), just to deport the mechanical stress of plugging/unplugging directly on the pcb.

The box is so an open base one. It has to openings on the sides, to take air. Now as I test without the fans in place, I hope they still do a kind of venting function... We'll see.

Regards,

Greg
Very lovely.
----------------
Robert
I like the way you have recycled and ap'Ply'ed the box !!
----------
bob
(03-12-2021, 08:59 AM)gregvds Wrote: And here it is, hopefully:

And the inside:

Made with a scrap from my DIY audio rack for the body, mainly with a router, a Raspberry Pi 4B 4Gb, un HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and an MSL Digital Remote Pi (the three connected with a dual PCI ribbon that MSL Digital can create to your quotes) board that manages power on-off, soft start, and that is integrated with MoOde to shut down properly linux before shutting completely the power, and reacts too at MoOde.local shutdown command. It also offers On-Off from a remote (I learned this from my amp remote, to have both turned on and off together), and can with a bit of LIRC work, receive remote commands now from my CD player remote to Mac play/pause/stop/cdprev/next and so on.

The two fans harness is shown in the picture but is a bit noisy, so I removed it. Rpi is working at around 59°C, which seems fine to me, CPU still not throttled, load minimal (4%) while streaming from Spotify (moodeutl -m told me these). 

I replaced the pushbutton and leds that came with the remote pi by my own (I do not like the usual pushbutton one can see on practically all the DIY projects, nor the too common red/green dual led), and went for more discreet pushbutton (the white knob at the back) and more fancy color leds (Orange for standby/off, blue for on, white for setup/firmware/shutdown sequence).

I deported the RCA output at the back, with WBT 0201 I happen to have; the Remote pi is plugged into a Cliff passthrough USB-C connector (Neutrik-like footprint), just to deport the mechanical stress of plugging/unplugging directly on the pcb.

The box is so an open base one. It has to openings on the sides, to take air. Now as I test without the fans in place, I hope they still do a kind of venting function... We'll see.

Regards,

Greg

I love these DIY projects, I wish I had the oportunity to do this myself, I don't have the space for anything other than a basic tool kit & a cordless drill.  
Nice job.
Thanks ;-)

Greg
@gregvds

I'll add my well done.

I understand the theory of woodworking but in practice all my workworking projects turn into a right dogs-breakfast as my friends from across the pond would say. All I can do is admire what others have done with wood and stick to plastic and metal. What's not to like about the resulting 1950s amateur radio chic?

I suspect those side slots aren't doing much given the geometry of the box and its cavities. 

It looks like the fans are wired in parallel. Have you tried wiring them in series? They'll run slower (if they run at all, that is) and perhaps quietly enough to satisfy.

Regards,
Kent