Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Wifi connection problem
Hi

I'm having issues in both v6.7 and v7.0.1 with wifi dropping as soon as the ethernet connection is removed.   I've got a clean 7.0.1 image on a pi 3b+ and haven't configured anything else yet, just trying to get wifi working reliably first.

I have the same issue with both my pi 3b+  (one is 6.7 the other 7.0.1), although one in normal use is ethernet connected all the time so it's no big issue there.  I need the 2nd one to be wifi though and can't get it to work.

All the below testing is done using 2.4Ghz on a dual band TP Link EAP225 wireless router

With ethernet cable connected I can configure the wireless, reboot, and I see the wifi IP address assigned.  moodeutl output shows both the ethernet and wifi ip address assigned and I can connect to both via a browser.  

If I remove the eth cable the wifi connection drops.  When I put the eth cable back in the wifi connection starts working again.

If I remove the eth cable and reboot I get no wifi.  If I put the eth cable back in I can connect via eth IP again.  On a reboot the wifi SID and PW details are all still present but wifi shows as "not in use".  Looking at moodeutl output again I can see the eth address being assigned but not the wireless.

Oddly, when I connect to 5G (different SSID) wifi I don't appear to have the same issue.  The issue there though is the 5G wireless does not stretch to where I need it for this pi!

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thanks
Tell a lie, the 5G wifi connection has just dropped spontaneously.

EDIT: think that may just have been Moode crashing actually as I was trying to use the 1st pi as DLNA server and this one as upnp renderer and it was rebuilding the library.  

On a reboot the 5g connection is back, but the library build didn't work...