Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

RP4 USB ports... good enough?
(03-30-2021, 12:42 PM)rebbi Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 12:34 PM)officialsm Wrote: There i only one point of attention. Raspberry usb ports and Ethernet port shares the same bus. So if you are using both together could be an issue. But never tested this scenario.

Well, I understand that this was the case (sharing the bus) in earlier models, but not with the 4. In any event, I have decided to do an experiment. I purchased the Allo USBridge Signature. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get here. When it does, I will do a head to head comparison between the two USB solutions and let everybody know what I’m hearing.

:-)

Steve

You will require blind tests for a comparison of what you are hearing, because if you know which system you are using or at which point you are switching between systems, you can "hear" a difference, which actually is a placebo effect. There was a link somewhere here to y YT video where you could test the effect on your own. Plus the guy showed what cables he was using, and by looking at the "home made one" for me it immediately became clear that the cable has no effect on the sound information sent over it.

Makes total sense from a programmer/data engineer point of view. I have never seen my data being altered after I exchanged a cable in my computer or used a different computer for the same calculations, and I am dealing with 1 billion data points on a daily base with a single program I am running.
(05-07-2021, 11:04 AM)Gekel Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 12:42 PM)rebbi Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 12:34 PM)officialsm Wrote: There i only one point of attention. Raspberry usb ports and Ethernet port shares the same bus. So if you are using both together could be an issue. But never tested this scenario.

Well, I understand that this was the case (sharing the bus) in earlier models, but not with the 4. In any event, I have decided to do an experiment. I purchased the Allo USBridge Signature. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get here. When it does, I will do a head to head comparison between the two USB solutions and let everybody know what I’m hearing.

:-)

Steve

You will require blind tests for a comparison of what you are hearing, because if you know which system you are using or at which point you are switching between systems, you can "hear" a difference, which actually is a placebo effect. There was a link somewhere here to y YT video where you could test the effect on your own. Plus the guy showed what cables he was using, and by looking at the "home made one" for me it immediately became clear that the cable has no effect on the sound information sent over it.

Makes total sense from a programmer/data engineer point of view. I have never seen my data being altered after I exchanged a cable in my computer or used a different computer for the same calculations, and I am dealing with 1 billion data points on a daily base with a single program I am running.

It will be a few weeks before I have my results, due to my work schedule. But I will post the results on my blog and provide a link here for anyone who is interested. Thanks.
Use the Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ in front of the cable to reduce noise.
I have ran into a problem with the USBridge Sig and my DAC. DAC is a Questyle CMA 12 Master. I have tried 2 Allo boards with the same result, the "clean" USB does not see the DAC, the two "dirty" USB outputs at the front do. Any Pi or PC connects fine. So no USBridge for me. Not because I do not want too, but because I can't...