Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

NAS problem
Hi all, I have a 2 pi's set up. One as a nas using openmediavault and the other has moode installed with a HiFiBerry Digi+Pro.  I have 2 folders full of music set up as shared folders which my Chromebook, windows laptop, TV and VLC app all can all see and will also play from without a problem. 

I just can't get moode to work with them. It shows that there is 78 folders scanned and I have a green tick in the sources box but it never shows in the library. I have tried re-mounting, updating library but still nothing. Is there something totally silly I'm missing or can try. When I scan samba is shows 7 paths, 4 moode and 3 raspberry pi and have tried them all. I have also changed the user id to guest and pi but no joy either. I Never thought it would be this much hassle and starting to wonder if it's worth it. Just getting frustrated now
@Hibees

What does "but it never shows in the library" mean?

If, in the Library Config panel, you see under Music Sources a box with green check and the name you assigned your share (served from the host named in parentheses)---(EDIT) and you've updated the Library---then in the Library view under Folder you should see the folder "NAS". Clicking on "NAS" you should be taken to folder "<the share name you assigned>". You can drill down from there.

Example, I'm running an OpenMediaVault Server on a host named omv-hc1.local [an Odroid SBC but same principle as an RPi] with a public share named Music. I created a music source in moOde pointing to this share and gave it the name "OMV-Music". 

In Library view, clicking on "NAS" gets me to "OMV-Music" and clicking on that gets me to the next level of folders, ad infinitum. EDIT: and all the albums/tracks show up in the Library Tag and Album views.

From the command line I can ask MPD its status as a quick check that it thinks I've got tracks available

Code:
pi@720TR2:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:    724
Albums:     516
Songs:     5855

Play Time:    0 days, 0:01:20
Uptime:       0 days, 8:35:10
DB Updated:   Sat Apr 10 23:20:38 2021
DB Play Time: 20 days, 19:28:50

Regards,
Kent
(04-14-2021, 08:42 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Hibees

What does "but it never shows in the library" mean?

If, in the Library Config panel, you see under Music Sources a box with green check and the name you assigned your share (served from the host named in parentheses)---(EDIT) and you've updated the Library---then in the Library view under Folder you should see the folder "NAS". Clicking on "NAS" you should be taken to folder "<the share name you assigned>". You can drill down from there.

Example, I'm running an OpenMediaVault Server on a host named omv-hc1.local [an Odroid SBC but same principle as an RPi] with a public share named Music. I created a music source in moOde pointing to this share and gave it the name "OMV-Music". 

In Library view, clicking on "NAS" gets me to "OMV-Music" and clicking on that gets me to the next level of folders, ad infinitum. EDIT: and all the albums/tracks show up in the Library Tag and Album views.

From the command line I can ask MPD its status as a quick check that it thinks I've got tracks available

Code:
pi@720TR2:~ $ mpc stats
Artists:    724
Albums:     516
Songs:     5855

Play Time:    0 days, 0:01:20
Uptime:       0 days, 8:35:10
DB Updated:   Sat Apr 10 23:20:38 2021
DB Play Time: 20 days, 19:28:50

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent, all I see in library is  what's on the screenshot. Although I can see what folders have been scanned nothing shows up in library, doesn't matter how many times I refresh.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Hibees

So the second screenshot you posted shows the SMB servers your player found on your LAN. You still have to choose one and fill in the rest of the boxes. Here's an example of my completed entry at the Music Source panel and then the Library Config panel

[Image: AF39u5d.png][Image: puxFPBJ.png]

Mind the Note on the Music Source panel

Quote:NOTE: After saving or removing the source, return to Playback or Library then select "Update library" from the Menu.

Regards,
Kent
Photo 
(04-14-2021, 10:01 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Hibees

So the second screenshot you posted shows the SMB servers your player found on your LAN. You still have to choose one and fill in the rest of the boxes. Here's an example of my completed entry at the Music Source panel and then the Library Config panel

[Image: AF39u5d.png][Image: puxFPBJ.png]

Mind the Note on the Music Source panel

Quote:NOTE: After saving or removing the source, return to Playback or Library then select "Update library" from the Menu.

Regards,
Kent

I have it set up the exact same way as your screenshots by the looks of it Kent. I made this screen recording to show what I do and the result. Recording
Hi. If you have the latest version of moode, try manually entering the ip address of the server in the form ipaddress / folder. In practice, for example, 192.68.0.12O / music.
I use our server from synology and in the new version it works. In the previous version it worked as described, see the post from Kent
(04-15-2021, 06:22 AM)Patolog1964 Wrote: Hi. If you have the latest version of moode, try manually entering the ip address of the server in the form ipaddress / folder. In practice, for example, 192.68.0.12O / music.
I use our server from synology and in the new version it works. In the previous version it worked as described, see the post from Kent

Thanks for the idea. I will check this when I get home later today. 

Using windows explorer on my laptop I can see both my raspberry pi and moode. Whatever folders I have tried adding to the library are also showing up in a NAS folder in moode.
and you have used Menu>Update Library ?
----------
bob
(04-15-2021, 08:31 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: and you have used Menu>Update Library ?

Hi, yes I've updated the library everytime I have added a folder. I will try using the IP address idea tonight and then a clean install of moode if it doesnt work. I don't think the problem is with openmediavault as the folders are showing up on other devices no problem.
(04-15-2021, 09:12 AM)Hibees Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 08:31 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: and you have used Menu>Update Library ?

Hi, yes I've updated the library everytime I have added a folder. I will try using the IP address idea tonight and then a clean install of moode if it doesnt work. I don't think the problem is with openmediavault as the folders are showing up on other devices no problem.

If in the Library Config panel you have the green checkmark alongside the share/server names then the server was found using the hostname.

For proof, you could try this from the command line:

Code:
mount | grep '^/'

For example, on one of my players:

Code:
pi@moodeLR:~ $ mount | grep '^/'
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /media/MUSIC type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)
//Omv-hc1.local/music on /mnt/NAS/OMV-MUSIC type cifs (ro,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=guest,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.4.12,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

The first two entries are my uSD system card, the third is a local USB drive and the last is my OpenMediaVault SMB share. Post your result.

As a further check, you could check that the directories on the NAS are visible---substituting your real mount point for /mnt/NAS/<whatever>---by running the following from the command line:

Code:
ls -la /mnt/NAS/<whatever>

Post your result.

I've already suggested a command line query to MPD which summarizes its database contents. The same information is shown under the moOde icon in the Library Tag view.

You can also look at the MPD log (/var/log/mpd/log) to see its progress in scanning for music files in the directories it finds. You should do this right after you've created the music source and updated the library. You should see entries like:

Code:
pi@moodeLR:~ $ cat /var/log/mpd/log
...<cut out unrelated cruft>...
Apr 15 09:21 : update: added SDCARD/eusii/YUNGBLUD - it's quiet in beverly hills (Official Audio) (152kbit_Opus).ogg
Apr 15 09:21 : update: added SDCARD/eusii/YUNGBLUD - ice cream man (Official Audio) (128kbit_AAC).m4a

where I had just added two test files sent by another user.

Regards,
Kent