Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: DSD DXD
Hello,
I have moode + raspberry pi3b+ifi nano idsd + hard drive usb
I can play all my dsd file without problem but when i play DSD 256 or highther, i have a "scratch" during playing
Help me please to understand this problem. My dac is compatible all dsd dxd format in bitperfect
Does i buy a raspberry pi4 ?.
If you suspect USB throughput issue on the 3B+ then try a 4B. It is supposed to have an improved USB implementation.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Does moode decoding DxD and dsd 256 ?
Yes DSD256 plays perfectly on my Allo USBridge SIG and Revolution USB DAC. The SIG uses a Raspberry Pi CM3+ processor which is equivalent to a Pi-3B+ but the SIG implements a custom ASIX USB chipset.

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
i'll try with RPI4 with USB3
(05-26-2021, 05:00 PM)aureliennsk Wrote: i'll try with RPI4 with USB3

Curiously, the IFI spec sheet says early on: "At home or in the office, use the USB3.0 cable provided to connect to your PC." Much farther down, in the specifications it says "Input(rear): USB2.0 type A ‘OTG’ Socket (with iPurifier® technology built-in)".

amirim of AudioScienceReview stated he had to connect the IFI DAC to a USB3.0 port on his PC for it to be recognized by Windows. Others using other DACs have noted curious audio issues when they tried to drive a USB2.0 DAC from an RPI4B's USB3.0 port. So be sure to try both the USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports on the RPi4B since YMMV. 

Regarding DSD256 "or higher", even the IFI specs only claim DSD support "up to DSD256". Don't confuse DXD for DSD. DXD is actually a multi-bits per sample PCM encoding method. 

Also I have come across an old-ish 3rd-party review stating that the firmware upgrade which implemented MQA unfolding also reduced the max possible DSD bitrate, to wit

Quote:The only genuine negative I can come up with for this unit is that if you want both MQA Rendering support and native DSD replay capability, you have to limit yourself to DSD128 and lower. This isn’t much of a negative. There is very little native DSD content at more than 1x (DSD64), let alone above 2x (DSD128).

You might want to ask the IFI folks.

Regards,
Kent
My Pi 3B+ outputting to a Topping D70s plays DSD 256 just fine.
Tried a different USB cable?
(05-26-2021, 07:14 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(05-26-2021, 05:00 PM)aureliennsk Wrote: i'll try with RPI4 with USB3

Curiously, the IFI spec sheet says early on: "At home or in the office, use the USB3.0 cable provided to connect to your PC." Much farther down, in the specifications it says "Input(rear): USB2.0 type A ‘OTG’ Socket (with iPurifier® technology built-in)".

amirim of AudioScienceReview stated he had to connect the IFI DAC to a USB3.0 port on his PC for it to be recognized by Windows. Others using other DACs have noted curious audio issues when they tried to drive a USB2.0 DAC from an RPI4B's USB3.0 port. So be sure to try both the USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports on the RPi4B since YMMV. 

Regarding DSD256 "or higher", even the IFI specs only claim DSD support "up to DSD256". Don't confuse DXD for DSD. DXD is actually a multi-bits per sample PCM encoding method. 

Also I have come across an old-ish 3rd-party review stating that the firmware upgrade which implemented MQA unfolding also reduced the max possible DSD bitrate, to wit

Quote:The only genuine negative I can come up with for this unit is that if you want both MQA Rendering support and native DSD replay capability, you have to limit yourself to DSD128 and lower. This isn’t much of a negative. There is very little native DSD content at more than 1x (DSD64), let alone above 2x (DSD128).

You might want to ask the IFI folks.

Regards,
Kent

Exactly, if using the iFi firmware that supports MQA, that would reduce the DSD sample rate support. Additionally, it also depends if DoP is employed, as DSD256 over DoP requires a PCM sample rate of 705.6kHz, also not supported by the stupid MQA firmware version if I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunately iFi now obscures this information on their support page, you have to enter a serial number to see the firmware versions available for any given product.