Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Display Album Artist, but sort by AlbumArtistSort
If the Artist/Album Artists lists was sorted by ArtistSort or AlbumArtistSort tags, then things like Billy Joel would show up under J instead of B, which is how record stores sort their albums, and how I prefer to have mine sorted. Bands get sorted by the first word after  articles such as the, an and a are removed, and solo artists are sorted by last name.
There is an "Ignore articles" option in the Library section of Preferences. The default is o ignore a, an, the.

The "sort" tags get messy because while MPD supports ArtistSort and AlbumArtistSort tags moOde considers Artist, AlbumArtist, Performer and Conductor as "artists" which are displayed in the Artists list.

Using first last name for display and sort of artists is more natural and its the way Music services present the content and most users are using a Music service.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
If you search this forum, you should find a thread where a clever contributor posted a list of names to add to the "Ignore articles" list which makes the sorting work as you desire. It basically tells moOde to ignore first names, so the sorting defaults to last names.

It probably fails if you have any records by the band "James" though...
----------------
Robert
(07-07-2021, 01:46 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: If you search this forum, you should find a thread where a clever contributor posted a list of names to add to the "Ignore articles" list which makes the sorting work as you desire.  It basically tells moOde to ignore first names, so the sorting defaults to last names.

It probably fails if you have any records by the band "James" though...

Time to do some forum searches. Thanks!

The annoying part is that Billy Joel should be under J and not B, and Jethro Tull should be under T and not J.

Then you run into the problem of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers being under T, and Tom Petty solo stuff being under P.
Smile 
(07-07-2021, 12:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: There is an "Ignore articles" option in the Library section of Preferences. The default is o ignore a, an, the.

The "sort" tags get messy because while MPD supports ArtistSort and AlbumArtistSort tags moOde considers Artist, AlbumArtist, Performer and Conductor as "artists" which are displayed in the Artists list.

Using first last name for display and sort of artists is more natural and its the way Music services present the content and most users are using a Music service.

I guess I am just an old curmudgeon then. Smile

There are very few programs that use AlbumArtistSort. I only ever found one that did it the way I wanted, and I can't remember what it was. I know iTunes sorts this way.
Jethro Tull should be under J, as it's a band name, not a person's name.. Where as Ian Anderson should be under A.. And then there is Alice Cooper, Franz Ferdinand, Uriah Heep, Marilyn Manson (well that one's easy LOL), Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker band.. etc.. etc.. All of which are band names as opposed to persons's names.

I originally sorted my musics "last name first, first name last" as the Americans like to say, but it just does your head in, when you realise that you have been sorting band names as people names.. In the end I overcame my OCD and just sorted the same as most applications like to do it. Obviously not under T for bands starting with "The", that is just weird... LOL

Edit: and what do you do with Emerson, Lake and Palmer? under E, or P?
I have played a little with the sorting here... there is a list of names that may help for starting....I just add a few now and then as the odd one appears...
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....brary+sort
----------
bob
Well, apart from the MPD documentation which helpfully reminds us that the meaning of artist name itself is not well defined, one might look at the MusicBrainz official style guideline on formatting an artist's sort name.

The metadata we have available in MPD is inadequate for all the queries we may wish to put against our libraries. Since it's based in turn on well entrenched practices in the music recording industry, it's unlikely to improve. As an old hand at information modeling, I could wish for better but as a pragmatist I just deal with it.

Regards,
Kent
There is also the issue of personal preference. For a while I sorted my CD collection based on the spine colour. I have some albums now which are compilations but I don't keep them with "Various Artists" but sort them by the record label (setting AlbumArtist to the record label name to achieve it (Gasp!, I know!)). There is always a requirement to record the data in away that allows you to ask the questions you wish to be answered. I've an aversion to having a display which selects information based on information that isn't currently displayed, it drove me mad in my iTunes days...

In short, the metadata are ours to manipulate as we wish in order to describe our music collections in a way that suits us.
----------------
Robert
Quote:For a while I sorted my CD collection based on the spine colour.

A quick perusal of my own collection spines show...
1) a lot of Black
2) a lot of White
3) some Blue, some Red, some Yellow

You sorted for the Emergency Services ??     Big Grin DeDoo DeDoo DeDoo WooWoooWoo DeDooDeDooDeDoo
----------
bob