Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Explanation for newbies of ALSA options
Would anyone be so kind as to easily explain what the new ALSA options section included in version 7.3 consists of?

Thanks.
ALSA Loopback device provides a copy of the PCM stream being played. This can be used by other applications to display VU meter, spectrum display, send audio to other hosts, etc. The nice mpd_oled application uses Loopback.

ALSA output mode determines which ALSA module, "hw" or "plughw" is used for the final interface to the audio device.
- The "hw" module interfaces to the device directly i.e., does not perform automatic format conversion if needed. This means the device must support the bit depth and sample rate being sent or an output error will occur (no playback).
- The "plughw" module is same as "hw" except that it performs automatic format conversion if needed. For example if 16-bit audio is being sent to a device that only accepts 32-bit word length the "plughw" module will zautomatically zero-pad 16-bit to 32-bit.

Basically if you don't need Loopback for an OLED screen and your audio device supports all the bit depths and sample rates in your collection then use "hw" otherwise use "plughw".
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you Tim,
I understood it very well, that has merit considering my low technical profile.