Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: RPi4/Mood or RME ADI-2 FS problem?
I can play DSD128 .dsf files just fine using RPi4/Moode streamer to the RME ADI-2 DAC.  When I try a DSD256 .dsf file I get the following error.  Is my problem in the Moode software or the DAC?  RME tells me the dac should have no problem playing DSD256.
Thank you for any advice

MPD error
Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Error opening ALSA device "_audioout"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument
Please provide a link where RME states that the device supports DSD256 either Native format or DoP on Linux.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you Tim.  Here is what RME told me.  I double checked settings in the DAC and all looks fine.  Thanks for your time.  
Dale

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php...69#p175169
The information in that link refers to Mac OS X operating system and not RaspiOS Linux on a Pi which is what moOde uses. 

You should ask the RME developer in that thread whether they test/support RaspiOS Linux on a Raspberry Pi and if they do then which Linux kernel version is required. They may only test and support Mac and Windows.

In any case they show the following MPD config section from a Mac which specifies the OSX output plugin. This plugin uses Apple's Core Audio API. https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/plugins.html#osx. moOde uses Linux ALSA API https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/plu...lsa-plugin. which is completely different. 

Also note that dop "yes" is specified which indicates the device probably only supports DoP and not Native DSD. This means that the USB interface provided by the operating system has to support a PCM rate of 705.6K
Code:
audio_output {
type "osx"
device "ADI-2 DAC (XXXXX)" # XXXX is the serial number
dop "yes"
hog_device "true"
name "RME ADI-2 DAC FS"
mixer_type "none"
}

You can check which sample rates and formats were reported by the device to Linux by running the command below.
Code:
moodeutl -F

Here is the output showing what my Revolution DAC reports. Note the 705.6 sample rate and DSD-U32_BE format. That format indicates Native DSD bitstream is supported by the DAC.
Code:
pi@rp1:~ $ moodeutl -F
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 2, ID `Revolution', name `Revolution'
 Device 0, ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (1 available)
   2 channels, sampling rate 44100..705600 Hz
   Sample formats: S16_LE, S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
   Buffer size range from 16 to 262144
   Period size range from 8 to 131072

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'
pi@rp1:~ $
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks again. Do you mind if I copy and repost this on the RME forum? I don’t want this to become a tennis match. If they throw it back at Moode being the problem, I will stop pursuing it. I really enjoy Moode and think it is a brilliant piece of work.
I would just ask them if they test and support their device on RaspiOS Linux and Raspberry Pi. If they do then they should be able to help you out.
Enjoy the Music!
@DaleB

The ball is in RMEs court but you could still post the output of the moodeutl -F command to satisfy the curiosity of those of us following along from home Smile

Regards,
Kent
(08-26-2021, 04:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @DaleB

The ball is in RMEs court but you could still post the output of the moodeutl -F command to satisfy the curiosity of those of us following along from home Smile

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent.  I would be glad to if I knew how.  Can you point me to documentation?
Thank you Kent.  Yes I would be happy to execute moodeutl -F command if you would tell me exactly how to do it.

As far as the ball being in RME's court, as can be seen from my RME thread, they think it is not.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php...69#p175169

I am not a guru at this stuff.  I can install and use Moode, and I understand most of the settings, but when it comes to executing tools on the RPi4 someone needs to show me documentation that I can’t seem to find.  If anyone at Moode wants to jump into the conversation on RME’s forum then please do.  I am not technically prepared to answer or ask question that will help resolve the issue.

If you want to drop the subject, that is OK too.  Im just playing around with DSD256.  It is not a "Must Have" for me.

Thank you for your time. I think Moode is outstanding software, and by no means does this issue change my view of it.
To get the command output do the following:

- Menu, Configure System
- Scroll down and turn on SSH term server then Open it
- Userid = pi, password = moodeaudio
- Type in the command moodeutl -F and hit Return or Enter
- Use mouse cursor to drag/highliight the text and then copy/paste it into a new post

As far as that Thread goes, I've dealt with a lot of audio OEM's and some are very helpful, collaborative and easy to deal with while others are just the opposite. Bottom line is that the product page for the device only states Mac and Windows as being supported
Enjoy the Music!