Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Multichannel DSP using Moode and CamillaDSP
I am about to start a project building a 3 way active speaker using DSP crossovers and Camilla DSP.

I was hoping to use an RPI 4 and connect to an AVR receiver through HDMI to get 6 separate channels of audio, is that possible and have anyone done it? Or do I have to use an external soundcard (Asus Xonar U7) and connect through USB?

What is the preferred way of getting 6 separate channels of audio from Moode, USB or HDMI? Does anyone have any practical experience doing this?

Thank you so much for the great job you are doing on both Moode and CamillaDSP!
(09-02-2021, 10:33 AM)howabout Wrote: I am about to start a project building a 3 way active speaker using DSP crossovers and Camilla DSP.

I was hoping to use an RPI 4 and connect to an AVR receiver through HDMI to get 6 separate channels of audio, is that possible and have anyone done it? Or do I have to use an external soundcard (Asus Xonar U7) and connect through USB?

What is the preferred way of getting 6 separate channels of audio from Moode, USB or HDMI? Does anyone have any practical experience doing this?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php  This would be the 'go to' place for the kind of information you are interested...
(09-03-2021, 07:19 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(09-02-2021, 10:33 AM)howabout Wrote: I am about to start a project building a 3 way active speaker using DSP crossovers and Camilla DSP.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php  This would be the 'go to' place for the kind of information you are interested...

CallMeMike, thank you for your reply! It is much appreciated.

I have alread posted a question on diyaudio a few days ago, and they adviced me to post a question on this forum Smile

The answer I got so far is related to the kernel of moode.

USB should work natively, but hdmi for whatever reason they keep pulling 24/96/8channel support in and out of the kernel. Since you are using Moode, you will note they have their own kernel, so you'll need to ask Tom(?) if that kernel already supports high res multi channel over hdmi.

Does anyone know if the current kernel in moode support high res multi channel over hdmi?
Sorry, but saying moOde has its own kernel seems a perverse answer; moOde is built on RaspiOS and uses the kernel shipped by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Here's a snippet of alsacap output from my RPi4B. It says the HDMI device can output up to 8 channels.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ alsacap
*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `b1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1'
 Device 0, ID `bcm2835 HDMI 1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1', 4 subdevices (4 available)
   1..8 channels, sampling rate 8000..192000 Hz
   Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
   Buffer size range from 80 to 131072
   Period size range from 80 to 131072

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'
     Subdevice 1, name `subdevice #1'
     Subdevice 2, name `subdevice #2'
     Subdevice 3, name `subdevice #3'

Having said this, I've exhausted my knowledge of the subject.

Threads such as Crackling audio when playing 5.1 FLAC over HDMI would suggest others are more knowledgeable.

Regards,
Kent
Kent is correct. We use the stock Raspberry Pi Linux kernel plus the enhanced kernel modules below.

- Allo ASIX driver for USBridge Signature
- Driver for Comfast CF-912AC WiFi adapter
- ALSA Loopback driver with 384K support
- PCM1794A CODEC with 384K support

The kernel version currently being used in moOde is 5.4.77.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I tried this succesfull with the onboard HDMI playback, but with some restrictions. Like 16b and low sample rate.

The are a number of posts about it, but finding those back is always an issue ;-)
But me this one will help you: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...light=hdmi
(09-03-2021, 04:18 PM)bitlab Wrote: I tried this succesfull with the onboard HDMI playback, but with some restrictions. Like 16b and low sample rate.

The are a number of posts about it, but finding those back is always an issue ;-)
But me this one will help you: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...light=hdmi

Thank you for all the answers and the link to other thread. This was really helpful.

@bitlab When you say low sample rate, do you know how low rate you got?
(09-28-2021, 10:35 AM)forart.it Wrote: Hi everyone, we're a small italian NPO and we're trying to realize a "xover/eq-ing" server able to render audio from different workstations - that runs different OSes, both Linux and Windows -  into a 3way config with our RBpi 3b + Yamaha RX-V663 + Canton GLE-70.

We've also collected some interesting resources in our project page:
URL REMOVED BY ADMIN

Any help is apreciated.

Final (working) result will be of course published under Creative Commons By-Nc-Sa license.

Your project seems legit but if I browse the links at your News page the content is 100% SPAM and other offending commentary which is in complete violation of our Forum rules which prohibit such content.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub