Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Autoshuffle ?
I cant seem to get autoshuffle to work.
When I follow these instructions ;

1. Remove all tracks from the Playlist

2. Click the Random Play button OFF
3. Verify that Auto-shuffle is turned ON on Audio Config
4. Click the Random Play button ON

Two tracks should be added to the Playlist and the first should start playing. When it finishes it will automatically be removed, the track below it will start playing and a new track will be added.

This cycle continues until the Random Play button is clicked OFF or the Playlist is altered by manually adding or removing tracks. Auto-shuffle needs exclusive access to the Playlist.

The Playlist doesn't have to be empty for Auto-shuffle. You can simply stop playback, click the Random button and two tracks will be added to the end of the Playlist :-)

No tracks are added whether I have an empty playlist or songs already in it. If I try when I have an already populated playlist tracks are consumed after they play but nothing is added even when all tracks are consumed.

I have tried all possible combinations of turning ashuffle of and on and with reboots in between etc etc. I have downloaded and rewritten a new image to the sd card but have had no luck getting it to work.

Can anybody help please?

Cheers
Try running ashuffle from the cmd line and see of there are any errors. First turn it off in Audio Config

It should report the pool size and then queue up one track t play.

Example from one of my test systems.
Code:
pi@rp1:~ $ sudo ashuffle

Picking random songs out of a pool of 3983.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-10-2021, 01:52 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try running ashuffle from the cmd line and see of there are any errors. First turn it off in Audio Config

It should report the pool size and then queue up one track t play.

Example from one of my test systems.
Code:
pi@rp1:~ $ sudo ashuffle

Picking random songs out of a pool of 3983.

command not found.  Confused

sorry I'm a newb with this cmd line stuff  Big Grin

now that I've worked it out (I hope) I get this

libmpdclient received a malformed response from the server.
this may because a songs metadata attribute (for example, a comment) was longer than 4KiB
MPD error: Response line too large
Ok, I have trawled through all the tag comments looking for anything over 4kb....there isn't any, the largest I could find was 2kb and I have deleted that. I'm still getting the same message with regard to something in the metatdata being longer than 4kb.
What other things should I look at/for?

Cheers
(09-15-2021, 01:18 AM)Mattt Wrote: Ok, I have trawled through all the tag comments looking for anything over 4kb....there isn't any, the largest I could find was 2kb and I have deleted that. I'm still getting the same message with regard to something in the metatdata being longer than 4kb.

Cheers

See the ashuffle github issue #89

Looks like ashuffle is getting the response from mpd's listallinfo command via libmpdclient. In the comments to issue #89, user hindumagic showed how he tracked down an offending track. Unfortunately it's an application of linux commandline-fu.

Regards,
Kent
(09-15-2021, 02:29 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 01:18 AM)Mattt Wrote: Ok, I have trawled through all the tag comments looking for anything over 4kb....there isn't any, the largest I could find was 2kb and I have deleted that. I'm still getting the same message with regard to something in the metatdata being longer than 4kb.

Cheers

See the ashuffle github issue #89

Looks like ashuffle is getting the response from mpd's listallinfo command via libmpdclient. In the comments to issue #89, user hindumagic showed how he tracked down an offending track. Unfortunately it's an application of linux commandline-fu.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks Kent,
I looked at issue#89 but to be honest a lot of it went over my head.
Does it mean it's just not going to work at this point?
Aren't dependencies wonderful?

moOde depends on ashuffle and ashuffle depends on libmpdclient, each of which has its own developer(s). My guess is the developer of libmpdclient isn't going to respond to the request to "fix" the 4kb limit mentioned in issue #89 because the listallinfo command in question is marked in the protocol documentation as "do not use this command"!

Since ashuffle is what we have to work with, it seems the only alternative is to look for offending tracks as you have been doing and edit them to fit. Bletch.

I haven't tried to code-walk ashuffle and libmpdclient. I don't know if the 4kb limit applies to any single metadata tag of a track as output by mpd or to the sum of the track's metadata tags. This matters because there can be many tags and, in particular, more than one comment tag to a track in ID3v2 and in Vorbis Comment tagging schemes. The reason comment tags are suspect is they tend to be much longer than any other metadata. [1]

Here's a trivial command which borrows on hindumagic's awk script. It finds the longest comment line returned by mpc.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ mpc list comment | awk '{print length, $0}'|sort -nr|head -1
1397 Archie Goodwin is a fictional character, a detective in Rex Stout's mysteries about Nero Wolfe. Archie is Wolfe's live-in employee and partner in the private investigation business Wolfe runs out of his brownstone townhouse in New York City. Wolfe rarely leaves the house, so Archie has to do most of the actual investigating and then reports his findings to Wolfe, who solves the mystery. It is not difficult for Archie to make either written or oral reports, because he has total recall of what he has heard, and he is an excellent typist. He also does Wolfe's bookkeeping and banking, types his correspondence, and keeps the germination and other records for the orchids Wolfe raises as a hobby. Archie's hobbies include dancing (usually at the Flamingo), poker, and baseball. He was a fan of the New York Giants until they relocated to San Francisco in 1957, then later became a fan of the New York Mets when that team was founded in 1962.  Although he is from the American Midwest (Chillicothe, Ohio), Archie has the "street smarts" to handle just about any situation he finds himself in, and he knows New York City like the back of his hand. He has a long-time social relationship with Lily Rowan, a wealthy society woman, but they do not try to limit each other's social lives.    Unlike his employer, Archie's only eccentricity is a deep love of milk.      Old Time Radio Researchers Group

Here, the longest comment tag returned from my test track collection is 1397 characters and happens to be for an Old Time Radio track I had downloaded from archive.org. More work needs to be done to the script to identify the track in question as well as to return the total length of all the metadata for the track. I need my morning coffee before I can figure out how to add that info. Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent

[1] Note I'm using the word "tag" the way mpd documentation does, to refer to an individual metadata element. In most tagging protocol schemes, on the other hand, the "tag" is the container of metadata elements associated with a track. By analogy, my shirt has a tag in the collar which states the neck size, the sleeve length, and the material. In the mpd way of thinking "neck size", "sleeve length", and "material" would each be a tag. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.