Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Connect to other moOde players
Creating /etc/avahi/services/moode.service as described has worked in the sense that the other player now appears in each player's Players pop-up. (That make sense right!?!)

However I cannot achieve any UI switching. Selecting the other player elicits no response. 
The button appears to link to "http://" ?
(04-10-2018, 06:39 PM)energyi Wrote: getent hosts moode
getent hosts moode-3

-Tim

127.0.1.1       moode
<and>
198.105.254.23  moode-3.Home
198.105.244.23  moode-3.Home

Address on first is 198.168.0.13

Don't sweat this, not critical, just curious. 

energyi
@energyi

I just looked up the IP address 198.105.254.23 in ipaddress.com

They report "We found that the organization for IP address 198.105.254.23 is Search Guide in Boulder, Colorado, United States."

I believe there's something going on with DNS in your LAN, possibly in the router. DNS is returning this IP address for your hostnames. It's tripping up Tim's players routine which depends on the results reported by getent (which gets its info from databases supported by the Network Switch Libraries inside raspbian; They draw on DNS).

What happens if you ssh into your first moOde player and try to ping the second (by "moode-3" or whatever is its hostname, not by IP)? Does it report an IP address on your LAN or this 198.105.254.23 address instead? Same question for the first from the second.

Regards,
Kent
Looks like Tim has this on his bug fixes for 4.1 so will gladly wait on that update. No worries. Thanks Tim and Kent.
I have Bonjour from Apple installed on my Windows 10 PC and it is my understanding that it should provide the Multicast DNS that is required for the "Connect to other moOde Players" option to function. 

When I issue the avahi -browse command that Tim suggested I see my three moOde 4.1 players. However, the getent hosts command returns 127.0.1.1 for the RPi I am SSHed into and nothing for the other two RPis. 

Do other users have this feature working on a network with Windows 10? Or is this just a problem with my network?
Hi Bryce,

Try the ping command to see if it returns the ip addresses of the hosts.

ping -c1 <host>

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-13-2018, 11:19 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Bryce,

ping -c1 <host>

-Tim

Hi Tim, 

The ping command produces the same results. I get 127.0.1.1 for the RPi I am SSHed into, and I get "Name or service not know" for the other two.

One additional item, I actually have 5 RPis running version moOde 4.1 at the moment. The two that are not showing up were in-place updates. The three that are showing up were done from a build script image file. I SSHed into one of the in-place update machines and ran the avahi-browse command. It shows the same three RPis that I got before. The getent hosts command produces no results.

Cheers, Bryce.
(04-13-2018, 04:27 PM)BryceJ Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 11:19 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi Bryce,

ping -c1 <host>

-Tim

Hi Tim, 

The ping command produces the same results. I get 127.0.1.1 for the RPi I am SSHed into, and I get "Name or service not know" for the other two.

One additional item, I actually have 5 RPis running version moOde 4.1 at the moment. The two that are not showing up were in-place updates. The three that are showing up were done from a build script image file. I SSHed into one of the in-place update machines and ran the avahi-browse command. It shows the same three RPis that I got before. The getent hosts command produces no results.

Cheers, Bryce.

Bryce

Well spotted. I've been working solely with full builds where the DHCP/DNS handshakes are working fine. I expect Tim has insight into what's happening with the in-place update.

Regards,
Kent
The symptom "ping command produces same result" suggests a network issue external to moOde software.

- Are all the pi's on a single network for example a WiFi router?
- How are you able to access the two pi's that are unreachable by ping?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-13-2018, 05:18 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The symptom "ping command produces same result" suggests a network issue external to moOde software.

- Are all the pi's on a single network for example a WiFi router?
- How are you able to access the two pi's that are unreachable by ping?

-Tim

All the the RPis are on the same network, all using Ethernet cable except for the RPi Zero W which is using wi-fi. 

Just to be clear, all RPis are unreachable by ping from an SSHed RPi except for the one I am SSHed into.

All 5 RPi can be pinged from Windows 10 using the host name.

To access any of the RPis, I either open and browser and enter moode-rpiname.local or if I want to SSH to them I simply open PuTTY and enter moode-rpiname.local. This is of course from any of my Windows 10 PC, my iPads or my iPhone.

I did a quick test from my Mac-mini. I was not able to ping the RPis, however, I opened Chrome and was able to access the RPi by using the http://moode-rpiname.local URL.

Any idea why the difference in the behaviour between the in-place update and the build script update?

Cheers, Bryce.