Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide LCD/OLED display using pydPiper
Hi. I don't think there is an LCD backlight switch in pydpiper. I am using 2 oled displays and since they don't have backlight, there was no problem for me. You can go to the pydPiper github page and post the backlight issue, or see if others had the same issue and how they solved it.
Remy
Hi to all,
I'm trying to get working a 16x2 LCD with parallel connection but have a problem...
I have connected it but don't have any output on screen, if I turn contrast only get first row black but that is same like connect display only to 5V.

When I try to start PydPiper after a few hours of waiting get this: 
Code:
pi@moode:~/pydPiper $ sudo systemctl start pydpiper
A dependency job for pydpiper.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
 Here is content of my PydPiper.cfg:

Code:
[STARTUP]
startup_msg_duration = 5

[DISPLAY]
display_driver = hd44780
display_width = 80
display_height = 16
display_enable_duration = 0.1
display_pin_rs = 7
display_pin_e = 8
display_pin_d4 = 25
display_pin_d5 = 24
display_pin_d6 = 23
display_pin_d7 = 27
pagefile = pages_lcd_16x2.py
animation_smoothing = 0.15

[SYSTEM]
logfile = /var/log/pydPiper.log
loglevel = info
timezone = eu
time24hour = true
temperature = celsius

[SOURCE]
source_type = moode
mpd_server = localhost
mpd_port = 6600
mpd_password = moodeaudio
Moode Version is 4.4
So what does executing the "journalctl -xe" from the command line tell you?

Regards,
Kent
Smile 
(12-12-2018, 11:09 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: So what does executing the "journalctl -xe" from the command line tell you?

Regards,
Kent

There is a lot of text in journal [Image: smile.png]. I don't know how to copy all that here and don't know what to look for and copy only that [Image: smile.png]
(12-12-2018, 10:09 AM)flega Wrote: Hi to all,
I'm trying to get working a 16x2 LCD with parallel connection but have a problem...
I have connected it but don't have any output on screen, if I turn contrast only get first row black but that is same like connect display only to 5V.

When I try to start PydPiper after a few hours of waiting get this: 
Code:
pi@moode:~/pydPiper $ sudo systemctl start pydpiper
A dependency job for pydpiper.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
 Here is content of my PydPiper.cfg:

Code:
[STARTUP]
startup_msg_duration = 5

[DISPLAY]
display_driver = hd44780
display_width = 80
display_height = 16
display_enable_duration = 0.1
display_pin_rs = 7
display_pin_e = 8
display_pin_d4 = 25
display_pin_d5 = 24
display_pin_d6 = 23
display_pin_d7 = 27
pagefile = pages_lcd_16x2.py
animation_smoothing = 0.15

[SYSTEM]
logfile = /var/log/pydPiper.log
loglevel = info
timezone = eu
time24hour = true
temperature = celsius

[SOURCE]
source_type = moode
mpd_server = localhost
mpd_port = 6600
mpd_password = moodeaudio
Moode Version is 4.4

Hi. Try with moode 4.3. It happened that my display stopped working after i updated to 4.4. Will try to reinstall pydpiper during the week end.
Remy
(12-13-2018, 04:34 PM)remy1961 Wrote: Hi. Try with moode 4.3. It happened that my display stopped working after i updated to 4.4. Will try to reinstall pydpiper during the week end.
Remy

I mount 4.3 image on SD card and try to install like you explained in your first post. But I can't start pydpiper again...

UPDATE: thing works! After a few hours seems that pydpiper started, now I have clock on display and when start playback it shows big " PLAY" and after that there is a screen wtih "MPD" on left upper side, "RADIO" on right upper side, on left bottom line is a info and on bottom right are three black squares. What are those squares and how to rearrange this screen? I want to display shows only "Radio" in place of those squares and on upper and part of bottom line playback info?
Hi everybody, is this delay of more than 1.5 minutes normal when shutting down (I am using the power management scripts from here)?

[Image: 2Pdq1.jpg]
Hello, the same for me after an update from 4.3 to 4.4
It took almost 2 minutes until the LED was red ...
I could not locate the error last night.
I'm back to version 4.3 ...

Ps. Script for the display and power management adaptation from here moode forum ..

Please post in the -> Community -> Feedback -> 4.3 to 4.4 in-place update

Best regards and have a nice day
(12-13-2018, 06:19 PM)flega Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 04:34 PM)remy1961 Wrote: Hi. Try with moode 4.3. It happened that my display stopped working after i updated to 4.4. Will try to reinstall pydpiper during the week end.
Remy

I mount 4.3 image on SD card and try to install like you explained in your first post. But I can't start pydpiper again...

UPDATE: thing works! After a few hours seems that pydpiper started, now I have clock on display and when start playback it shows big " PLAY" and after that there is a screen wtih "MPD" on left upper side, "RADIO" on right upper side, on left bottom line is a info and on bottom right are three black squares. What are those squares and how to rearrange this screen? I want to display shows only "Radio" in place of those squares and on upper and part of bottom line playback info?

Hi. Happy to see that you managed to make it work. That was the difficult part. The best thing with pydPiper is that you can configure almost any aspect of the information displayed. What you see now is the default. Now open your page file. You will have 3 sections: widgets, canvas and sequence. 
Widget is the information that is displayed, like artist name, album name, song name, song duration, bitrate, time of the day. You can edit the widget like changing the font, case (upper or lower), whether it scrolls or not, and the scroll speed and direction.
Canvas is the surface of your display. You can move widgets around in the canvas using x and y axis in pixels. For a 16x2 display, you have 80x16 pixels (8 pixels for 1 vertical character and 5 pixels for 1 horizontal). You can move your widgets at any position on the canvas using the x,y axis. Just make sure there is enough space.
Sequence: if your display is small, you can't display every thing with just one canvas. You need several canvas, appearing according a certain sequence. For example you display the first canvas showing the artist name, song name, album name. A second canvas will display the song duration and the song bitrate, bit depth. In the sequence section you specify which canvas is displayed and for how long in seconds.
If you have a large display (like those 128x64 oled), you might not need to change the canvas. Just examine a few page files and you will understand how it all works.

Remy
(12-15-2018, 09:06 PM)remy1961 Wrote:  Just examine a few page files and you will understand how it all works.

Remy

Thanks Remy for great explanation, now I understand how thing work Smile
But as I'm messing with config and page file, everything stop working, including web interface Sad
Is there a way to uninstall PydPiper and install it again or I have to mount Moode image and start everything from beginning?