Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide Raspberry Pi power Supply
Sorry, I didn't see your reply.
So, my 5V 3A power supply could be completely inadequate for a RPi3B+ with an Allo Boss 1.2 DAC on it?

When you wrote this:
> Four amps seems like a good guess at peak current from my observations.
Did you mean just the RPi3B+? Or did you mean the RPI3B+ and Allo Boss DAC combined?
How much current does the Pi3B+ draw, and how much does the Allo Boss DAC draw?
Nope.... just ensure the path from the supply to the Pi is as short as possible with the thickest cable possible...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-Fe...OSwvApaFWI~
----------
bob
I think 2.5A should be more than adequate for a 3B+ and an I2S DAC board.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-10-2018, 05:38 PM)HemiRick Wrote: Someone needs to look at the output of an Anker battery on an oscillscope and see if it is really as quiet as we think, I mention this because most have 3.7 volt battery and a DC-DC power chip to up to 5V. I'm wondering if this chip makes any noise?

All cheap voltage regulators make noise, some worse than others, but what is used in a charger like you describe was not intended for audio purposes and so it won't look pretty in terms of measurements.

It could however still sound OK, largely because one of the main benefits in using a battery instead of AC power is the reduction of ground loop potential. So what may seem of no benefit purely in the context of noise from the cheap regulator, may in fact still sound different/better due to a reduction in ground loop currents.

Not all ground loops manifest as a loud hum, some are much lower in level but clearly sound quality improves once they are removed, and one good way to try that is with a battery.
(09-14-2018, 05:28 PM)energyi Wrote: Can someone please help me understand why a battery isn't a better option especially for the low cost? Seems to me that a battery will add absolutely no noise. Thanks.

Energyi

I regularly run moOde on Raspberry Pi 3 B+ headless from battery pack (2.4 A) with headphones, and just as often from the official switching PSU with headphones. In my experience the sound is noticeably more lively when connected to mains, and hands down better. (It makes me wonder if a battery is quick enough for changes in power demand from the DAC, but I am just a lay man...)

I have ordered a linear PSU, hoping to experience, again, noticeably better sound.
Just a little something I saw on the Audiophonics website regarding the 'AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M' top hat DAC I2S.
This has a DC input socket on the rear for a choice of your own PS, as the PSU powers not only the DAC but also the Rpi, they recommended up to 6.5 VDC and preferably 3 A upwards.
I use a linear PSU made by a friend and I can concur that the improvements over a SMPS are there but it isn't a night and day result but a subtle improvement in detail and imaging.
For those who are on DIYAudio there will be a GB run by Tea-Bag for member Salas's new wonder, a nice linear supply. Stuff designed by Salas is "just" among the best, ever.
I don't see anything better for the Raspberry and such (adjustable voltage output, able to delivery high current on peak demand like a Raspberry does).
I plan to use it for my RPi & Allo DigiOne (less noise=less jitter and less noise injected in mains) and my TA2020 amp.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html
(04-21-2019, 08:39 AM)Malefoda Wrote: For those who are on DIYAudio there will be a GB run by Tea-Bag for member Salas's new wonder, a nice linear supply. Stuff designed by Salas is "just" among the best, ever.
I don't see anything better for the Raspberry and such (adjustable voltage output, able to delivery high current on peak demand like a Raspberry does).
I plan to use it for my RPi & Allo DigiOne (less noise=less jitter and less noise injected in mains) and my TA2020 amp.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-su...apter.html

Thanks for share. Is this going to be something to ba available to buy as a ready made build, or just simple bag of components and PCB to do DIY with no case and no transformer?
<marquee behavior="alternate" scrolldelay=150
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

</marquee>
The base offer is the bare PCB, but Tea-Bag (the GB guy) often offers a mini-kit with hard to find or to select parts like transistors. Maybe resistors and caps won't be in the mini-kit, as they are easy to find. But yes that's still some work, buy a transformer, a case, solder and such. I sweat a lot when I need to do command line, I understand some feel the same with the soldering iron Smile
That may be in few weeks or months but if any interest I can share my buying/building experience here with the moOde community (with a new thread as that'll be quite specific).
(04-21-2019, 11:58 AM)Malefoda Wrote: The base offer is the bare PCB, but Tea-Bag (the GB guy) often offers a mini-kit with hard to find or to select parts like transistors. Maybe resistors and caps won't be in the mini-kit, as they are easy to find. But yes that's still some work, buy a transformer, a case, solder and such. I sweat a lot when I need to do command line, I understand some feel the same with the soldering iron Smile
That may be in few weeks or months but if any interest I can share my buying/building experience here with the moOde community (with a new thread as that'll be quite specific).

Thanks for info
Its not that I am not a friend with soldering iron or DIY(+25 years of experience electro/mechanical engineering). But sourcing and digging out all parts from different places is something what usually puts me off.
But will keep an eye on this thread Wink
<marquee behavior="alternate" scrolldelay=150
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

</marquee>