Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

data source for oled/lcd display
I have 2 questions related to the data and data source for the oled/lcd displays.

1. How do i get the file type (flac,mp3,dsd) displayed on the oled/lcd? is there a simple mpd command for that or is it something more complicated? something like "bitrate" command to display the bitrate?

2. Why moode can't display the airplay data on the oled/lcd? only volumio 2 seems able to do that. Some people say it is because volumio exposes data from the player itself, whereas with moode you have to get data from mpd. Is that the case?
This is what i see in the configuration parameters of the script i am using:
Code:
# Music Source Parameters
MUSIC_SERVICE = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'source_type')

# Used by Volumio V1 and Moode
MPD_SERVER = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'mpd_server')
MPD_PORT = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'mpd_port')
MPD_PASSWORD = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'mpd_password')

# Used by Volumio v2
VOLUMIO_SERVER = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'volumio_server')
VOLUMIO_PORT = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'volumio_port')

# Used by RuneAudio
RUNE_SERVER = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'rune_server')
RUNE_PORT = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'rune_port')
RUNE_PASSWORD = safeget(config, 'SOURCE', 'rune_password')

Does it mean that there needs to be a sort of server file specifically written for moode, or that the design difference between the players does not make it possible for moode to have a moode_server.
It is not a big deal but would be nice to have airplay, or even bluetooth data on the display.
Remy
In System config under the Local Services section turn on "Metadata file"

Then the file /var/local/www/currentsong.txt will be updated every 3 seconds with information about the currently playing song. It's updated whether the UI is up or not.

Here is an example of the contents. It a simple format using = as the delimiter.

Code:
file=NAS/Music/Compilations/6 String Theory/02 Am I Wrong.flac
artist=Keb' Mo' & Taj Mahal
album=6 String Theory
title=Am I Wrong
coverurl=/coverart.php/NAS%2FMusic%2FCompilations%2F6%20String%20Theory%2F02%20Am%20I%20Wrong.flac
track=2
date=2010
composer=Kevin R. Moore
encoded=16/44.1k FLAC
bitrate=534 kbps
volume=21
mute=0
state=play

Wrt Airplay metadata I found that the mechanism for retrieving it was unreliable so I dropped it from moOde and AFAIK neither Bluetooth nor Squeezelite provides metadata. i think Spotify might but I'm not planning to look into it.

What I could look at for post moOde 4.3 is to update currentsong.txt file with the name and bitrate of the active renderer. That would allow you to update your LCD accordingly.

Airplay Active
16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo, 1.411 mbps

Something like that.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim. I have always seen that metadata thing in the settings, now i know what it is for. Now i just need to find a way to import the information from that text file to the page file of the display. As for airplay, happy to hear that you might add it in the future.
Remy
Hi Remy,

Turns out that adding the renderer status to currentsong.txt was trivial so this will be included in moOde 4.3 :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-28-2018, 07:18 AM)davidjroos Wrote: Could shairport-sync-metadata-reader provide the metadata reliability you had before (or was this the method employed?)

The only benefit (and I mean the ONLY) I see in Volumio over moOde (personally, as someone with a pretty OLED display and a wife who wants to play airplay music) is that it can show metadata for both local music and airplay streams.

From the shairport-sync github repo:

Quote:Metadata — Shairport Sync can deliver metadata supplied by the source, such as Album Name, Artist Name, Cover Art, etc. through a pipe or UDP socket to a recipient application program — see https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-s...ata-reader for a sample recipient.

IOW, this is cut from the same cloth.