Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: moode 4.3 Spotify Connect issue
Hi all,

Great work of the new 4.3 client  Big Grin Just updated.

Im currently using an Rpi3b+ and a Suptronics X5000 DAC with some JBL 308P MkII powered 8" two-way studio monitors, connected via TRS 1/4" to RCA to the DAC (not ideal but im waiting for the ALLO Katana DAC to be re-released)

However I have an issue with Spotify connect taking 10-20 seconds to play a song every time I change song from any device I use, i.e. Desktop PC, Android phone, Android tablet.

This seems to be via anything I browse on Spotify or from my playlists. Local USB drive stored audio works fine.

Any help would be appreciated as im fairly new to the Rpi scene and recently discarded my home theater setup in favor of this new venture.

Regards.
The symptom "taking 10-20 seconds to play a song every time" suggests a network issue of some sort.

Does same issue occur when playing Spotify songs locally on you device?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-01-2018, 10:55 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The symptom "taking 10-20 seconds to play a song every time" suggests a network issue of some sort.

@Razorfoot

To add data to Tim's reply, I have Spotify apps on my iPad tablet and Nexus 9 phone and moOde 4.3 on an RPi3B+. All are connected via 5GHz WiFi to my access point/router/cable modem which id connected to Verizon's FiOS fiber-optic network. A typical download speed from data centers in Ashburn VA is 80Mbps on my Nexus 9.

Without actually timing with a stopwatch, I believe I'm experiencing 1-2 seconds of silence between tracks when I change Spotify selections randomly using either or both apps.

Regards,
Kent
(10-01-2018, 10:55 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The symptom "taking 10-20 seconds to play a song every time" suggests a network issue of some sort.

Hi Tim, in regards to your message above. No Spotify does not have any delay on other devices on my network.

I should mention the on the Rpi, when a song is selected from a device to play over connect, the timer will start counting but the song kicks in 10-20 seconds later. I found the same issue with volumio too but longer or no play back at all unless I paused the track and hit play.

I have the pi connected over WiFi 5gz.

My previous Onkyo HT amplifier with Spotify connect did not experience any issues like this. But I'm not sure that info would help here.

Thanks for your quick response.
Hi,

I meant does the 10-20 second delay occur when you play Spotify songs directly on your Phone.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-01-2018, 05:20 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi,

I meant does the 10-20 second delay occur when you play Spotify songs directly on your Phone.

No
That suggests an issue external to moOde software for example a network issue, bad sd card etc.
Enjoy the Music!
What would I be looking out for network wise. Would any ports Need to be opened on the router.

Also SD cards, any recommendations on class or brand to use?
Try running a 30 second ping test from the Pi to your Router and then examine the ping stats for excessive retries, packet loss, etc.

You can also run the two cmds below on the Pi and they will print out some network stats that can show high error counts, poor signal quality and noise. You can also open moOde Network config screen and it will show some basic signal and noise stats.

ifconfig
iwconfig

I use Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SDCards and virtually no issues in many years of heavy use. I've purchased a number of the cards at the link below over the past 3 years.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55...UTF8&psc=1

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
Doing a little bit of tinkering tonight, I have tested the read write speeds of my SD card in the PI and the results are below:

Write - 524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 59.3126 s, 8.8 MB/s
Read - 524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 22.7498 s, 23.0 MB/s

-------------------------------

Pinging the Pi from my router and my desktop PC and router:

50 packets transmitted, 50 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.016/1.262/1.940 ms

-------------------------------

Ifconfig
wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether b8:27:eb:79:2b:dd txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 13012 bytes 14413005 (13.7 MiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 5601 bytes 740739 (723.3 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"xxxxxxxx"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.745 GHz Access Point:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bit Rate=135 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-36 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I dont think there are any network issues, nor SD card issues, although I will be buying another SDcard as you mentioned above.

However testing out some more Spotify tonight, im finding some songs I was playing yesterday for testing, are now playing on demand 50% more of the time. its really intermittent and annoying. If I hit the skip buttons, back or forward, the songs go back to taking 10-20 seconds to play.

I decided to take the DAC HAT off and just use the on-board headphone port of the Pi and changed power supply also to my ifi power SMPS, same issue.