Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: MoOde Eating My SD Cards
Here is my issue

I flash an SD card with the appropriate OS per install instructions Raspbian Stretch 2018-06-27

I ssh into it and follow the build instructions. After the first reboot it tries to finish and stops. The Ethernet lights go out and I have no connection to my RPi. If I reboot...nothing....no connection no build its dead. If I try to reflash my SD card its READ ONLY and LOCKED...can not erase, can not reflash, its basically trash.

This has happened to three SD cards at various stages of either the build process -or- the audio configuration process.

Yesterday, I finished the build. Rebooted and all was well, until I tried to configure MPD....it died.
Today, I flashed a new SD card and it died after the first reboot during the build process.

I've tried dd in Linux, gparted etc etc. etc to erase the SD card. I've tried tools in Mac and Windows...nothing....SD cards are hosed.

Any ideas?
(10-05-2018, 11:43 PM)Edward Wrote: Here is my issue

I flash an SD card with the appropriate OS per install instructions Raspbian Stretch 2018-06-27

I ssh into it and follow the build instructions. After the first reboot it tries to finish and stops. The Ethernet lights go out and I have no connection to my RPi. If I reboot...nothing....no connection no build its dead. If I try to reflash my SD card its READ ONLY and LOCKED...can not erase, can not reflash, its basically trash.

This has happened to three SD cards at various stages of either the build process -or- the audio configuration process.

Yesterday, I finished the build. Rebooted and all was well, until I tried to configure MPD....it died.
Today, I flashed a new SD card and it died after the first reboot during the build process.

I've tried dd in Linux, gparted etc etc. etc to erase the SD card. I've tried tools in Mac and Windows...nothing....SD cards are hosed.

Any ideas?

No idea why its happening but given no other reports it is most likely external to MoOde... Card fault or Pi and or its power supply.
Some more detail would be useful... type and class of sd card, origin (store bought or online ?), Pi model, Power supply details for Pi.

I doubt the cards are trash... try opening Gparted in Linux and select the card then  Device>Create Partition Table and accept the defaults.
That should restore the card but will delete all data on it.
After that you may have to then format it as well.
----------
bob
(10-06-2018, 12:05 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:

Any ideas?

No idea why its happening but given no other reports it is most likely external to MoOde... Card fault or Pi and or its power supply.
Some more detail would be useful... type and class of sd card, origin (store bought or online ?), Pi model, Power supply details for Pi.

I doubt the cards are trash... try opening Gparted in Linux and select the card then  Device>Create Partition Table and accept the defaults.
That should restore the card but will delete all data on it.
After that you may have to then format it as well.

Its a RPi B+
Patriot SD card from Amazon
Samsung SD card from Walmart
PS = 5v regulated, 5v walwart simple [comes with Rpi]
Ethernet wired straight from router.
Tried connecting the RPi to a monitor to see the boot process etc. nothing...blank screen, no lights flashing on RPi either.

As noted, I have tried Gparted and every other method in Linux including dd, also all available tools for Windows and Mac

Any ideas?

The DOWNLOAD button at moodeaudio.org downloads an ISO image that you can write directly to an SD Card. This is stated right on the download page. No need to do a Build unless you want to customize the process.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-06-2018, 12:28 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Any ideas?

The DOWNLOAD button at moodeaudio.org downloads an ISO image that you can write directly to an SD Card. This is stated right on the download page. No need to do a Build unless you want to customize the process.

-Tim

Hi, yes I am aware of the MoOde ISO image download.

However I did choose to go the build route instead. It was while using the build route that I encountered the problem.
The moOde ISO image was made using the Builder so I'm confident of the integrity of that process. I'm planning to maintain the Builder for the foreseeable future for those users that want to customize the build process for their own needs and of course for making production moOde ISO images :-)

Given the availability of a pre-made ISO image though, I'm not planning to provide troubleshooting for Builder issues unless there is evidence that the Builder has introduced a bug or defect in the ISO image.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(10-06-2018, 12:38 AM)Edward Wrote: Hi, yes I am aware of the MoOde ISO image download.

However I did choose to go the build route instead. It was while using the build route that I encountered the problem.

From your description of the multiple tries, it doesn't seem that whatever is happening to you is due to the moOde build process. 

It may be due to poor power (I have no idea what you have but I strongly suggest you investigate your power supply and also the connecting cable). The internet is full of blogs and forum posts about people hosing their SD/uSD cards with RPis and poor or interrupted power is at the top of the hit list of causes. I won't recite other causes. Google is your friend.

It's also remotely possible you have one of the rare, defective RPis.

Because of the above, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever is happening will continue to happen even if you begin with Tim's pre-built image.

The Internet is also full of blogs and posts about how to recover "hosed" SD/uSD cards. One example is "How to Format Dead SD Cards!"  I especially recommend the SD Card Association's Formatter referenced in that article.

I've burned or built many dozens of moOde images as I've tracked Tim's progress over time and I have yet to lose a uSD card permanently. Once, I had to reformat one but it was my own fault.

Regards,
Kent
Yes I understand about support etc. and its perfectly acceptable, makes perfect sense.

I will stick to the MoOde image from now on...

BTW, thank you for this piece of software, I think you guys do an exceptional job !!!
I had a good smile when i saw the title of this thread: oh my god, when will that stop? now moode is being accused of eating somebody's SD card!
For sure. Threads like this won't get any of my time going forward.
Enjoy the Music!