Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Editing Tags on Moode Samba share via GUI (kid3-qt)
Don't think this is an issue with moode but with how my laptop is interacting with moode over samba so I put it in the uncategorised section. If it should go in troubleshooting feel free to move it.

I am away from my main moode systems so am using my moode 4.2 Pi Zero W Bluetooth player.

Anyway a little fiddling and I got my ubuntu laptop to connect to the moode samba so I could transfer files through the file manager.
(moode was showing up when I ran smbtree but I could not see it in the file manager until I added the line "client max protocol = NT1" to my samba conf)

Trying to edit some tags on the local moode library (contained in the SDCARD directory) I connect to samba logging in as user pi and view the files in the tag editor kid3. I edit the tags but the changes are not saved.
This might have been expected as I need to use sudo to do anything in this directory while logged in over ssh as user pi?

Checking the permissions:
Everything is owned by root:root.
According to the file manager on my laptop (thunar) everybody (owner, group, others) has read&write permissions.

However output from the command ls -l via ssh says permissions are 755 i.e. -rwxr-xr-x. So read only for group and others.

Through thunar in the SDCARD directory I can rename and copy files (and of course drop them from my laptop) though via ssh I need sudo to do these. A little testing shows via ssh user pi needs sudo to create a file, mv, cp, and rm files. This is in line with 755 permissions. So I am not sure why thunar over samba can do do some of these things while logged in as pi or indeed anonymously?

Possible solutions:
1. I could add user pi to group root? Possibly inadvisable?
2. I could create a new user just for samba logins and add that user to group root?
3. I could somehow initiate my tagger kid3 with sudo privileges? I don't even know if that's possible!
4. This is a samba issue on the laptop end and I should solve it that way? I am really scratching in the dark with samba tbh.
5. Something else.

So 1 & 2 might not work since group members have read only permission according to ls -l
3 is purely speculative on my part.
That leaves 4 or 5. Any samba wizards or general linux wizards have time to hazard a guess or posit a solution or explanation?
I guess the obvious solution is the recursively change permissions on everything contained in the directory?
Is this a good idea?
If there is a better solution I am interested, particularly if the problem is  a poor samba set up on my end.
However I guess I can just change permissions.

edit: Although testing on a single directory changing permissions to 757 didn't help.