Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

music in several rooms?
Are you referring to MPD or shairport-sync outputting to pipe for forked-daapd?

If MPD then
https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/plugins.html

As far as multi-room audio goes the most common request I get is to be able to have moOde/MPD play locally and also stream in sync to other moOde/MPD players. Something like SnapCast for example which is also based on piped audio. I'm just not convinced that using a pipe or fifo is going to be reliable based on my past experience with pipes and such.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hello all, 

It's only now that I have time to go back to that little project. I'll definitely explore that way too cdlenfert. Already have a server running on the local network that could take forked-daapd aside. 

Thanks, 
(11-12-2018, 05:11 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are you referring to MPD or shairport-sync outputting to pipe for forked-daapd?

If MPD then

As far as multi-room audio goes the most common request I get is to be able to have moOde/MPD play locally and also stream in sync to other moOde/MPD players. Something like SnapCast for example which is also based on piped audio. I'm just not convinced that using a pipe or fifo is going to be reliable based on my past experience with pipes and such.

-Tim
As a long-time moOde user, I have always wanted to sync my 2 RPi's (1 in office, the other in Living Room) on a playlist from one of the RPi's, without resorting to a man-in-the-middle control point. I did use LMS for a time, but I much prefer the way moOde manages my music collection and audio streams.

I will investigate the suggestions posted here.

Thanks!
(11-12-2018, 05:11 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are you referring to MPD or shairport-sync outputting to pipe for forked-daapd?

If MPD then

I'm just not convinced that using a pipe or fifo is going to be reliable based on my past experience with pipes and such.

-Tim

Thanks for your response and sorry for my delay (subscription settings  Confused). I'm not exactly sure what do do with the MPD plugins. Do they have to be compiled? Should I be trying to use FIFO vs Pipe output. I know that forked-daapd works well with a named pipe created via mkfifo command. The pipe that shairport-sync outputs to (which resides in the forked-daapd library) really plays nearly perfectly in my experience. So I'd like to be able to set MPD on moode to output the a named pipe, but ideally be able to swtich back and forth between that and Alsa output without too much hassle. Alternatively I could use forked-daapd's config to set it to output to Alsa and my local usb sound card as well and just leave Moode's MPD output set to the pipe full time. ...but any point in the right direction of how??