Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: OpenHome radio stations displayed in Bubble DS are not playing
Hi,

I did a fresh install of moOde audio on a Raspberry Pi 1 yesterday (and the online update) - and I have one problem:

I'm using OpenHome a lot, and I would like to use the radio station feature.
I know how to configure upmpdcli and the radio list for this, and I can see and play them with Linn Kazoo. But my prefered Bubble DS Next control point only shows them, and an error (501), when I try to play something. When I start the playback via Kazoo, Bubble DS shows the playback as well.

Any ideas, what I can do? Maybe try a different version of upmpdcli? 

Apart from this, moOde is a wonderful program. I didn't have this error with Volumio, but I would prefer to use moOe instead.

Regards,
Martin
(11-01-2018, 10:35 AM)MartinGr Wrote: Hi,

I did a fresh install of moOde audio on a Raspberry Pi 1 yesterday (and the online update) - and I have one problem:

I'm using OpenHome a lot, and I would like to use the radio station feature.
I know how to configure upmpdcli and the radio list for this, and I can see and play them with Linn Kazoo. But my prefered Bubble DS Next control point only shows them, and an error (501), when I try to play something. When I start the playback via Kazoo, Bubble DS shows the playback as well.

Any ideas, what I can do? Maybe try a different version of upmpdcli? 

Apart from this, moOde is a wonderful program. I didn't have this error with Volumio, but I would prefer to use moOe instead.

Regards,
Martin

Hi, Martin.

Where do you get the "501" error? What version of Bubble DS Next and what Android device/version?

I just installed Bubble DS Next on my Nexus 7 tablet (Android 7.1.1).  I enabled the UPnP renderer on my moOde player with the default upmpdcli-radio.conf file which contains an oddment of stations.

Bubble DS Next auto-discovered my player and the Radio panel comes up fresh as paint. Randomly selecting Radio Paradise and Led Zeppelin is streaming through my moOde player.

Caveat: All my RPis are running a beta version of moOde r44 (I'm a test-team member). I can revert one of my players to r43 if that seems necessary.

Regards,
Kent
(11-01-2018, 12:33 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hi, Martin.

Where do you get the "501" error? What version of Bubble DS Next and what Android device/version?

Bubble DS Next auto-discovered my player and the Radio panel comes up fresh as paint. Randomly selecting Radio Paradise and Led Zeppelin is streaming through my moOde player.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Bubble DS Next is 2.9 and Android is 8.0 (on a Galaxy S8). The station logos are all there on the radio tab (BBC 1-6 etc...) but when I try to activate one of them, the error message shows up - and on the "now playing"-tab nothing happens. 

Regards,
Martin
(11-01-2018, 12:55 PM)MartinGr Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 12:33 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hi, Martin.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Bubble DS Next is 2.9 and Android is 8.0 (on a Galaxy S8). The station logos are all there on the radio tab (BBC 1-6 etc...) but when I try to activate one of them, the error message shows up - and on the "now playing"-tab nothing happens. 

Regards,
Martin

Aha. It turns out I fortuitously selected a radio station which can be reached. If I select any of the BBC stations I get the popup "Action Failed (code: 501)". Radio Paradise, Linn Radio/Jazz, Naim all play. JB Radio-2 doesn't. KCRW Music does.

The problem here isn't moOde or Bubble DS Next, it's the particular stations declared in the default radio station list. I believe the high-bitrate BBC channels are geo-fenced and not playable here (USA). The server specified in the JB Radio-2 entry refused to connect when I tried it in my browser.

Regards,
Kent
Quick test and no issues with the BBC non-320K stations and both JB Radio 2 stations.

The 320K BBC stations are geo-fenced by BBC and will not play in US.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2018, 06:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Quick test and no issues with the BBC non-320K stations and both JB Radio 2 stations.

Tim

Just wanted to make sure I understood your comment regarding JB Radio. Are you able to play both JB stations? When I play JB Radio flac there is no sound. Been like that for months.

Thanks
Yes, both the 320K and FLAC streams play just fine. I'm listening to JB Radio 2 (FLAC) as I write this. The big drawback to the FLAC stream is that it does not contain metadata...

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(11-02-2018, 01:17 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, both the 320K and FLAC streams play just fine. I'm listening to JB Radio 2 (FLAC) as I write this. The big drawback to the FLAC stream is that it does not contain metadata...

-Tim
Thanks - In this particular rig I have a Justboom DigiOne connected to Mini DSP 2x4. Thinking about now the 2x4 max is 24/96 and the JB Radio flac stream is 16 192. 320 will do me just fine. Take care
(11-01-2018, 06:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Quick test and no issues with the BBC non-320K stations and both JB Radio 2 stations.

Yeah, but did you test using the URLs in the moOde Radio panel or in the upmpdcli-radio.conf? They are different.

The stations in the moOde Radio panel play for me too. 

However, the URLs for BBC in the upmpdcli-radio.conf file are (BBC 1 as example): 

Code:
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_one.m3u8

That "sbr_high" means the 320K rate. In fact, this is the same URL as the one in the Radio panel for BBC 320K Radio 1.

Entering this URL into Chrome gets me a .m3u8 file. Trying to load the URL from this latter file into Chrome gets me a "Permission Denied" while trying to open the .m3u8 file in a music player gets me nothing.

As I said before, the JB Radio 2 URL in the upmpdcli-radio.conf file gets me a refusal to connect response from the named server.

Am I completely out to lunch here?

Regards,
Kent
Gotcha.

I haven't looked at the upnp radio conf file since moOde 4.0. It's not something that I plan to manually keep in sync with moOde's radio feature but if there were a lot of requests for it I could look into some sort of synching feature.
Enjoy the Music!