Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Khadas Tone Board
That worked for me too ! Thanks for the clear instructions.. Smile
Well Tempered Classic/Koetsu Rosewood/RJM Emerald Sony  CDP338eSD RPI-Kali-ProtoDac Perreaux and Plinius amplification/Shahinian Arcs MoOde Audio
(02-07-2020, 04:55 PM)stefano_mbp Wrote: my dear old friend, it would be a better approach to assume that you made some mistakes instead of suggesting the solution of the reported problem to be postponed to third parties

Was my response immoderate, yes, and for that I apologize.

Did I make a mistake, no. The problem wasn't with alsa, it was with the utility alsa-capabilities, just as I said.

Done and dusted now that Tim has folded in alsacap.

Regards,
Kent
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I am looking for a cheap and good sounding solution to go from moOde directly into a power amplifier. I think the KTB might fit the bill if the hardware volume control does not degrade sound quality and also works with spotify. Is anybody running a setup like this? Any thoughts or alternatives appreciated.
Maybe someone can post a link info that explains how the device implements volume control for the ESS chip it uses.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tim Curtis

Not sure what can be gleaned here. It's a USB board using the XMOS XU28 microcontroller to provide the USB interface and feed the ESS DAC chip. Standard UAC Volume Control functionality on the frontend; no idea what happens on the backend with the ESS chip. 

I never found any useful technical documentation for the KTB. All I know is what you and I determined experimentally many moons ago when I got my KTB v.1 (now called the Tone1), that the on-board hardware volume control is only useful with PCM-encoded audio (http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...8#pid11178).

Regards,
Kent
Does the Tone show "Hardware" listed for "Mixer type" in MPD Config?
Enjoy the Music!
(05-12-2021, 01:00 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Does the Tone show "Hardware" listed for "Mixer type" in MPD Config?

Yup.

[Image: 6hjPSLP.png]
Poor or misleading information from a manufacture in the audio industry, shocking :-0
Enjoy the Music!
But wait, there's more!

I don't have any DSD tracks other than the test tracks I downloaded from 2L.no, etc., and I have not really tested DSD playback since a year ago.

[the following has been edited since the original post]

Things seem to have changed---moOde has advanced considerably and I updated the KTB firmware perhaps 6 months ago. (Easily noticeable became it now presents its name as "Tone1 " instead of "Khadas Tone Control "; the card id is "Tone1" without the trailing space)

Now: moOde 7.2.1 (fresh install), RPi4B, KTB Tone1 DAC.

When I play tracks with Software or Hardware Volume Control selected in MPD config settings:

PCM 

- Software VC: normal playback. I have control over volume using the moOde knob in either mode.
- Hardware VC: same

DSD

- Software VC: normal playback. No volume at 0 then 100 percent at any setting from 01 to 100 (just as Tim reports below for his Allo Rev).
- Hardware VC: abnormal playback. I get burbly white noise diminishing in volume as I change moOde Volume from 01 to 99 and then clear playback at 100.
ISTR this is what I used to get with software VC back in the old days (but I'm old so...).

So I'm shipwrecked on Clueless Island. Sorry, I'm not in a position to do detailed testing.

Regards,
Kent

PS

Code:
pi@moodeY:/proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0 $ amixer -c2 scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Tone1 ',0
Simple mixer control 'Tone1 ',1
pi@moodeY:/proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0 $ amixer -c2
Simple mixer control 'Tone1 ',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 127
 Mono:
 Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-127.00dB] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-127.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Tone1 ',1
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Limits: Playback 0 - 127
 Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
pi@moodeY:/proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0 $ cat /proc/asound/card2/id
Tone1
pi@moodeY:/proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0 $ /var/www/command/util.sh get-mixername
(Tone1 )
(Tone1 )

pi@moodeY:/proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0 $ /var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol "Tone1 "
0%
For my Allo Rev DAC which support native DSD (and DoP) MPD set to "Native DSD (Default) it works like below.

- Software volume > 0 will be same as Fixed (0dB) because MPD does not have algorithm to perform VCl on DSD bitstream. In the Rev DAC you get full volume at any Software volume setting between 1 -100. **Caution :-0

- Hardware volume will result in volume control being done by ESS chip which knows how to perform VC on bitstream. moOde knob controls volume on DSD bitstream (or DoP) same as if it were PCM.
Enjoy the Music!