The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Troubles with cheap SATA to USB adaptor.
Hi,

The other day I purchased a cheap  (on offer) new  Crucial  M.2 profile 1TB  Sata SSD.

I also purchased from ebay a nice looking  black anodised aluminium case to house the SSD. It has a Sata to USB 3 converter, and connects with a short cable and USB3 connector, It was about £7. It uses  a J Micron  I.C. control chip.

At first it all appeared fine!. I connected to my Linux mint dev system,  formatted the ssd and downloaded 269GB of flac  high def files at 100MB/s   super I thought.   I left the drive connected and when I returned to it after an hour,  the drive had disconnected from my system. I had to unplug and replug it to get it connected.

I didn't pursue this problem, but moved the ssd over to a Moode system, which saw the drive as an external usb and started to catalogue it.  This never finished, and when I investigated, the drive had vanished from Moode as well.

Googling this type of problem, I found lots of similar issues. One fellow claimed (unsupported) that  Micron chipset controllers were responsible but other chip vendors were OK. Other people claimed it was a heat issue in the aluminium enclosure as there are no vents, others claimed low power.   At the mo, I have a 5.2v 8A  yes 8A, power supply feeding my Moode system, don't ask,  and I never see any lightning symbols on the PI! I have an usb inline checker connected and it is showing 5.1v and 240 mA  for the USB to SSD set.

I have just ordered and am waiting for it to arrive, a Starcom ssd to usb adaptor, id SM2NGFFMBU33, which has a ASMedia - ASM1153E chipset. It was more expensive, so I hope this one works correctly.

I will keep you posted on progress.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

regards

Patrick

Messages In This Thread
Troubles with cheap SATA to USB adaptor. - by superpat - 11-21-2018, 10:22 AM