Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: multiple MOSBUILD failures
Look, I've financially supported moode in the past. I wanted to build it again. I found there is a script here now and I followed it faithfully. But not blindly as I've worked on several RPi projects so I have a couple of basic notions around what can go wrong.
Everything is fine until we start the MOSBUILD process. The process is an arrow launched at that point, which is frustrating. Especially to come back after a while and find it quit for a trivial and preventable reason. 
Failure 1- After getting the exact build of Raspian stretch lite required per Githib, I STILL got an error on rc-local.service failed. This required a change in RASPBIAN code and restart per Google.
Failure 2 - multiple broken packages. This required me to fix them and start yet again. Now I am 2 plus hours in, partly because I have no idea whether it is done yet and don't want to unplug it and restart to just check.
Failure 3 - moslog only says '** Error: should never arrive at case = *' This message repeats 10 times. That is all it says. No idea what this means or how far it got, or how to fix it. I have 3 hours invested in it now. Gave up and went to bed.

This process is like fumbling in the dark. I really loved moode player, but I can't love this build process at all. Heck, back in the day I wrote assembler code, but that was on old dumb terminals and I could at least see what was happening/had happened....
Moode 4.3 is now an image file as with previous releases before the 'mosbuild' series.
Just download the image, unzip, and flash to sd-card.
Put the card in the Pi and boot.

download is here...
http://moodeaudio.org/
----------
bob
(11-21-2018, 07:08 PM)darth555 Wrote: Look, I've financially supported moode in the past. I wanted to build it again. I found there is a script here now and I followed it faithfully. But not blindly as I've worked on several RPi projects so I have a couple of basic notions around what can go wrong.
Everything is fine until we start the MOSBUILD process. The process is an arrow launched at that point, which is frustrating. Especially to come back after a while and find it quit for a trivial and preventable reason. 
Failure 1- After getting the exact build of Raspian stretch lite required per Githib, I STILL got an error on rc-local.service failed. This required a change in RASPBIAN code and restart per Google.
Failure 2 - multiple broken packages. This required me to fix them and start yet again. Now I am 2 plus hours in, partly because I have no idea whether it is done yet and don't want to unplug it and restart to just check.
Failure 3 - moslog only says '** Error: should never arrive at case = *' This message repeats 10 times. That is all it says. No idea what this means or how far it got, or how to fix it. I have 3 hours invested in it now. Gave up and went to bed.

This process is like fumbling in the dark. I really loved moode player, but I can't love this build process at all. Heck, back in the day I wrote assembler code, but that was on old dumb terminals and I could at least see what was happening/had happened....

Huh. What the heck did you do?

The home website http://moodeaudio.org clearly declares that you can download an image file for moOde via the link provided. 

It also has a link to the github.org site. If you want to build moOde yourself then Koda59's instructions at https://github.com/moode-player/mosbuild work just fine. 

How do I know? To test they are still valid, an hour ago I started with an RPi3B+, a fresh uSD card, and those instructions (specifically for the "building on the boot SD card" option) and now 60 minutes later I have a working copy of moOdeOS.

And I could follow the build process nearly continuously using the commands clearly mentioned at the end of the first stage of mosbuild.sh.

Just saying...

Regards,
Kent
ok, so obviously I did NOT pay enough attention to some information on the site that shows there is now an SD card ready build on it. Sorry about that, I have things in hand now.
It is probably worth mentioning that the threads on installing like this HOW TO GUIDE are now not necessary for a stock install, this increased my confusion, plus when I last was really close to this project there was NOT an SD card build.

Thanks to all who replied, I look forward to getting back into a great player again!
(11-22-2018, 03:26 PM)darth555 Wrote: ok, so obviously I did NOT pay enough attention to some information on the site that shows there is now an SD card ready build on it. Sorry about that, I have things in hand now.
It is probably worth mentioning that the threads on installing like this HOW TO GUIDE are now not necessary for a stock install, this increased my confusion, plus when I last was really close to this project there was NOT an SD card build.

Thanks to all who replied, I look forward to getting back into a great player again!

'some information'...hmm...

I would not be so hurried to dismiss the MOSBUILD... it's got its merits (and uses).
Ok, I've added a "Moderator's note" to the beginning of the "Easy installation" post which I hope clarifies that there are now two methods for obtaining moOde.

Regards,
Kent