Thank you for your donation!

Build on Desktop Hardware? x86/Intel
Anyone build MoOde from source for use on a desktop OS?

What are the odds of getting MoOde to run in that environment?

I love the appliance approach, but my experience has been less than thrilling. I've never had issues like this with Pi hardware using them for the functions I mentioned above, irc bouncer, IRCd, etc. But using the Pi for things like MoOde, Volumio, et al, I get periods of lag to just not responding after a while. Pi2, Pi3, Class 10 card, junk card, proven power supply options, whatever. The music players just tend to keel over and croak for me.

Then I have to reboot the thing .. and eventually I'll just get the dreaded red LED only thing going on and have to figure out why the card won't boot anymore. Meanwhile several other Pi boards just keep going on doing their thing.

I'm setting up an internal GitLab server on CentOS so I can mirror a live one and having Samba on there with it, figured a slice of i7 and 36GB RAM should be at least as good as a Pi 3.
(11-29-2018, 06:51 PM)tdiaz Wrote: Anyone build MoOde from source for use on a desktop OS?

What are the odds of getting MoOde to run in that environment?

I love the appliance approach, but my experience has been less than thrilling. I've never had issues like this with Pi hardware using them for the functions I mentioned above, irc bouncer, IRCd, etc. But using the Pi for things like MoOde, Volumio, et al, I get periods of lag to just not responding after a while. Pi2, Pi3, Class 10 card, junk card, proven power supply options, whatever. The music players just tend to keel over and croak for me.

Then I have to reboot the thing .. and eventually I'll just get the dreaded red LED only thing going on and have to figure out why the card won't boot anymore. Meanwhile several other Pi boards just keep going on doing their thing.

I'm setting up an internal GitLab server on CentOS so I can mirror a live one and having Samba on there with it, figured a slice of i7 and 36GB RAM should be at least as good as a Pi 3.

I thing it will run on x86 PC, maybe just need a little workaround Big Grin
I have a real server at home and virtualize a lot of services... (proxmox, containers/docker etc). The library is on the server on a gigabit connection, so it's powered on anyway.

A personal wet dream 
- raspy+i2s dac (and maybe oled/tft display, irda receiver etc) used as a "stripped-down fast booting slave audio streaming machine" (physically close to the audio amplifier) 
- move all the library handling features, webUI, album art caching etc on a virtual machine/container on the much quicker x86 server...

It should be quite easy this way actually, but there are a few shortcomings.
And I'd say totally worthless over a 3B+, but just for fun...
We'll see if I can get some time to play on this.
The wonderful thing about free, open-source software projects is that one is free to fork the repo and do whatever. The DIY world loves it when someone announces a successful port of some popular project to another architecture (the more extravagant or impractical the better Tongue ). Hackaday.com even loves it when a spectacular fail is announced.

Keep in mind that once you make a port, you own it in the sense that it's on you to support all the people who try to follow in your footsteps, not just once but over time. It's not on Tim. He's got his hands full maintaining and improving moOde for the RPi.

There are storm clouds on the horizon, of course. Earlier this year, the official Raspberry Pi Blog said

Quote:...the 3+ platform is the final iteration of the “classic” Raspberry Pi: whatever we do next will of necessity be less of an evolution, because it will need new core silicon, on a new process node, with new memory technology.

No one knows what the RPi4, if that's what it gets called, will turn out to be or what changes in moOde's underlying structures will be needed to support it. 

Given the RPi Foundation's commitment to education and schools, I'm betting that the concomitant Raspbian project will paper over a lot of the hardware changes and that the RPi4 will to support the existing GPIO ecosystem so we won't lose our Hats in the winds of change  Tongue  To do otherwise would create a huge problem for schools. Nevertheless, we have to wait on events.

Regards,
Kent