Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

playing tunes from archives
I'd like to see Mo0de be able to play music stored in archives such as zip, 7z, rar, tar, bzip, gzip, etc. foobar2000 has this feature, which I find very handy. Right now it appears that mo0de simply ignores archives of all sorts.

Musically yours,

John
Hi John,

Thats correct. The MPD compile for moOde does not include any archive plugins because it's not a common format for storing music files. MPD does support Zip and Bzip2 archive formats and there is really no penalty for compiling the plugins in but it will have to wait until MPD version > 0.21.3 is released that also includes the Bluetooth fix.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-16-2018, 11:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi John,

Thats correct. The MPD compile for moOde does not include any archive plugins because it's not a common format for storing music files. MPD does support Zip and Bzip2 archive formats and there is really no penalty for compiling the plugins in but it will have to wait until MPD version > 0.21.3 is released that also includes the Bluetooth fix.

-Tim

Brilliant !... and then somebody will complain that all the hackers/small-time developers in the world are 7zip-ing everything and in that way they are sorely left out Cool ... and then we'll see another social convulsion... #7ZIP MeToo
By the way, why somebody would try to compress FLACs and HiRes files as there's no further shrinking in comparison to the original file Huh
(12-17-2018, 07:45 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Brilliant !... and then somebody will complain that all the hackers/small-time developers in the world are 7zip-ing everything and in that way they are sorely left out Cool ... and then we'll see another social convulsion... #7ZIP MeToo
By the way, why somebody would try to compress FLACs and HiRes files as there's no further shrinking in comparison to the original file Huh

Hi Mike,

There might be reasons in addition to compression to use archives. Archives or tar balls are great ways to organize your music. You can place all of an album's tracks, front and back cover art, liner notes, playlists, artist pics, lyrics and bios, and other related files in a single comprehensive container. Try it, you might like it.

John
(12-16-2018, 11:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Hi John,

-Tim

I had a look at the mpd source and it looks like there are several includes that would enable archive use. I'll investigate a bit, compile a local version and report back.

Thanks Tim,

John
(12-19-2018, 02:46 PM)Listener Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 07:45 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Brilliant !... and then somebody will complain that all the hackers/small-time developers in the world are 7zip-ing everything and in that way they are sorely left out Cool ... and then we'll see another social convulsion... #7ZIP MeToo

Hi Mike,

There might be reasons in addition to compression to use archives. Archives or tar balls are great ways to organize your music. You can place all of an album's tracks, front and back cover art, liner notes, playlists, artist pics, lyrics and bios, and other related files in a single comprehensive container. Try it, you might like it.

John

Hello John,

I see your point but... changing a moderate / large library of music digital files is quite a cumbersome task (think NAS, etc) and the end product would not fit in with most of the hardware/software music players/streamers probably. I also believe that using an extended archiving model restricts the flexibility of access to separate files on the range of operating systems available at the moment.
(12-20-2018, 06:51 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Hello John,

I see your point but... changing a moderate / large library of music digital files is quite a cumbersome task (think NAS, etc) and the end product would not fit in with most of the hardware/software music players/streamers probably. I also believe that using an extended archiving model restricts the flexibility of access to separate files on the range of operating systems available at the moment.

For me the process is gradual, I typically work with an album or artist at a time and archive when I am done. My player of choice other than the mo0de/Rpi combo is Foobar2000, which fully supports archives. As for OS, I mostly use Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows (7 and later), both of which fully support archives. This approach is not for everyone, but I find it to be quite handy. 

I compiled mpd on Ubuntu yesterday and at first blush if seems to support archives nicely. I'll report back when I know more.

I've used mpd as a player of a long while, but hadn't noted the progress; it has come a long, long way since I last dived in.

John
I agree re MPD. MaxK has done some incredible work in the 0.21 series :-)
Enjoy the Music!
Here's a version dump from my latest compile that includes archive support. Let me know if u want to try it out.

Code:
pi@moode:~/mpd-0.21.3/output/release $ ./mpd -V
Music Player Daemon 0.21.3 (0.21.3)

Copyright 2003-2007 Warren Dukes <warren.dukes@gmail.com>
Copyright 2008-2018 Max Kellermann <max.kellermann@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Database plugins:
simple proxy

Storage plugins:
local

Decoders plugins:
[mad] mp3 mp2
[mpg123] mp3
[vorbis] ogg oga
[oggflac] ogg oga
[flac] flac
[dsdiff] dff
[dsf] dsf
[hybrid_dsd] m4a
[faad] aac
[wavpack] wv
[ffmpeg] 16sv 3g2 3gp 4xm 8svx aa3 aac ac3 adx afc aif aifc aiff al alaw amr anim apc ape asf atrac au aud avi avm2 avs bap bfi c93 cak cin cmv cpk daud dct divx dts dv dvd dxa eac3 film flac flc fli fll flx flv g726 gsm gxf iss m1v m2v m2t m2ts m4a m4b m4v mad mj2 mjpeg mjpg mka mkv mlp mm mmf mov mp+ mp1 mp2 mp3 mp4 mpc mpeg mpg mpga mpp mpu mve mvi mxf nc nsv nut nuv oga ogm ogv ogx oma ogg omg opus psp pva qcp qt r3d ra ram rl2 rm rmvb roq rpl rvc shn smk snd sol son spx str swf tak tgi tgq tgv thp ts tsp tta xa xvid uv uv2 vb vid vob voc vp6 vmd wav webm wma wmv wsaud wsvga wv wve
[pcm]

Filters:
soxr

Tag plugins:
id3tag

Output plugins:
shout null fifo pipe alsa httpd recorder

Encoder plugins:
null vorbis lame wave flac

Archive plugins:
[bz2] bz2
[zzip] zip
[iso] iso

Input plugins:
file archive alsa tidal qobuz curl ffmpeg cdio_paranoia

Playlist plugins:
extm3u m3u pls soundcloud flac cue embcue

Protocols:
file:// alsa:// tidal:// qobuz:// http:// https:// gopher:// rtp:// rtsp:// rtmp:// rtmpt:// rtmps:// cdda://

Other features:
avahi epoll icu inotify systemd tcp un
pi@moode:~/mpd-0.21.3/output/release $
Enjoy the Music!
(12-20-2018, 03:35 PM)Listener Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 06:51 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: Hello John,

For me the process is gradual, I typically work with an album or artist at a time and archive when I am done. My player of choice other than the mo0de/Rpi combo is Foobar2000, which fully supports archives. As for OS, I mostly use Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows (7 and later), both of which fully support archives. This approach is not for everyone, but I find it to be quite handy. 

I compiled mpd on Ubuntu yesterday and at first blush if seems to support archives nicely. I'll report back when I know more.

I've used mpd as a player of a long while, but hadn't noted the progress; it has come a long, long way since I last dived in.

John

John,

You've gone 'full battle dress' into the frey... I give up Big Grin 

(I may give it a little nudge Idea )