Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)?
Same thing.
(12-25-2018, 08:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try running the cmd with sudo.

Same thing.
Below are some cmds I use to check the boot partition. It has to be unmounted first.

Code:
sudo umount /boot
sudo dosfsck -tawl /dev/mmcblk0p1

sudo dosfsck -r /dev/mmcblk0p1
sudo dosfsck -V /dev/mmcblk0p1
sudo mount /boot
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-25-2018, 09:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Below are some cmds I use to check the boot partition. It has to be unmounted first.

Code:
sudo umount /boot

sudo mount /boot

As you can see below, still no avail (after unmounting):
pi@moode:~ $ sudo dosfsck -tawl /dev/sda1
fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
malloc:Cannot allocate memory

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fsck -t vfat /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.29.2

(Wondering if it's a matter of just killing all running processes - background running scripts for LCD updates, LIRC/MPD/Transmission daemons and whatnot - to free memory?)
Hi. So the TTS part of it is that a female voice says the title of the song before it plays. That's the first time I see that integrated into a moode audio build. And listening to your reaction every time it tells you the title, that seems to be the part of the build you like the most.
Remy
(12-25-2018, 11:22 PM)remy1961 Wrote: Hi. So the TTS part of it is that a female voice says the title of the song before it plays. That's the first time I see that integrated into a moode audio build. And listening to your reaction every time it tells you the title, that seems to be the part of the build you like the most.
Remy

Actually, it only speaks when I command it via the IR remote (otherwise it would be too disrupting to the listening experience). I've tried the idea you suggested at first, but quickly found out it would be too much for a listener to deal with. Hence the LCD already presenting this info. I added this feature to be more like an "ear candy" than anything else - and yes, it pleases me greatly because it demanded a considerable amount of tweaking for the TTS engine to pause and speak with a certain degree of "emotion" as opposed to a dull monotonic voice. But in overall, this build is my pride and joy because I could achieve and learn so much throughout the entire process.

The one thing I couldn't yet figure out is a decent enclosure for it, that would seamlessly accomodate all of the external elements and look professional. Such craftsmanship is beyond my skills. But I still keep the idea at a corner of my mind, perhaps there will be a way to get it done in a way I'd like.
Hi. I see a case scenario where the TTS as you implemented it can be useful. My build has an oled display and IR remote. I usually shuffle play different playlists containing hundreds of songs. I select playlists using buttons on the IR remote. From time to time i have to mute and ask my wife or my daughter to check for me the song title or artist name on the oled display (i have a fixed listening spot in the sitting room where i can't see the display). With your TTS, i just press a button on the remote and it tells me the song title (and artist name?).
(12-26-2018, 01:38 AM)remy1961 Wrote: Hi. I see a case scenario where the TTS as you implemented it can be useful. My build has an oled display and IR remote. I usually shuffle play different playlists containing hundreds of songs. I select playlists using buttons on the IR remote. From time to time i have to mute and ask my wife or my daughter to check for me the song title or artist name on the oled display (i have a fixed listening spot in the sitting room where i can't see the display). With your TTS, i just press a button on the remote and it tells me the song title (and artist name?).

In this case, you might find this article of use - this is the article that got me started. The engine I use in my box (the voice you hear) comes from the espeak engine.
This engine was chosen for it being the clearest and more flexible. There's various command-line switches to tweak the pitch, speed, volume, accent, et-cetera (not only did I tweak the pitch and speed, but I also set the volume dynamically, based on the current mixer volume level). If you search online, there's documentation that teaches you what each of those parameters mean and how to change them - the rest is accomplished through (rather extensive) experimentation.

Google's TTS engine is a bit more "human-like", but the processing is done online (your text is submitted to Google's servers every time). The options are extremely limited, and you only get a handful preset voices. PicoTTS also belongs to Google and is quite limited as well.
(12-25-2018, 10:06 PM)wmoecke Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 09:15 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Below are some cmds I use to check the boot partition. It has to be unmounted first.

Code:
sudo umount /boot

sudo mount /boot

As you can see below, still no avail (after unmounting):
pi@moode:~ $ sudo dosfsck -tawl /dev/sda1

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fsck -t vfat /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.29.2

(Wondering if it's a matter of just killing all running processes - background running scripts for LCD updates, LIRC/MPD/Transmission daemons and whatnot - to free memory?)

How big is this drive?

Searching on "dosfsck malloc cannot allocate memory" turns up lots of hits for small-memory devices. The answers are variations on a theme of "turn on swap or free up lots of memory".

I think I'd just take the drive to either my Linux desktop or Linux laptop, both of which have ample RAM and swap space, fix the problem(s) there, and bring it back to my moOde player.

Regards,
Kent
(12-26-2018, 02:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: How big is this drive?

Searching on "dosfsck malloc cannot allocate memory" turns up lots of hits for small-memory devices. The answers are variations on a theme of "turn on swap or free up lots of memory".

I think I'd just take the drive to either my Linux desktop or Linux laptop, both of which have ample RAM and swap space, fix the problem(s) there, and bring it back to my moOde player.

Regards,
Kent

I wish I could do that easily. It so happens that I'm required to disassemble the unit entirely just to get hold of that HDD buried deep inside. So, ideally this needs to be done within Jessie. If not possible, then I'll just apply the old adage by the wise Dalai Lama: "If there isn't a solution to the problem..." - actually, that adage goes both ways.