Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)?
(12-26-2018, 01:38 AM)remy1961 Wrote: Hi. I see a case scenario where the TTS as you implemented it can be useful. My build has an oled display and IR remote. I usually shuffle play different playlists containing hundreds of songs. I select playlists using buttons on the IR remote. From time to time i have to mute and ask my wife or my daughter to check for me the song title or artist name on the oled display (i have a fixed listening spot in the sitting room where i can't see the display). With your TTS, i just press a button on the remote and it tells me the song title (and artist name?).

In this case, you might find this article of use - this is the article that got me started. The engine I use in my box (the voice you hear) comes from the espeak engine.
This engine was chosen for it being the clearest and more flexible. There's various command-line switches to tweak the pitch, speed, volume, accent, et-cetera (not only did I tweak the pitch and speed, but I also set the volume dynamically, based on the current mixer volume level). If you search online, there's documentation that teaches you what each of those parameters mean and how to change them - the rest is accomplished through (rather extensive) experimentation.

Google's TTS engine is a bit more "human-like", but the processing is done online (your text is submitted to Google's servers every time). The options are extremely limited, and you only get a handful preset voices. PicoTTS also belongs to Google and is quite limited as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enabling write access to external HDD (in: /media/SYSTEM)? - by wmoecke - 12-26-2018, 02:41 AM