Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Which file system for usb drive?
Hi,

Examine the MPD log. It may indicate whats going on.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-28-2019, 02:35 PM)jmgtierrez Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 12:36 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: When u get a moment, mark you original post as [SOLVED] :-)

Hello, first of all, I would like to thank the work done with Moode Audio; I think it's a very interesting product, especially for audiophiles

I have installed on a Raspberry Pi B+ the last version, this is Moode v5.2; all is working well except the USB 2TB NTFS hard disk where I saved my music. It seems the system does not recognize the USB hard drive

Probably I am making an error, but I do not know how to address it; can you help me?

Thanks in advance

You also provide this information (requested by @TheOldPresbyope):

<< Related to the hard drive is properly powered, it is powered directely by the raspberry pi >>

I remember reading a couple of times a while ago some information regarding to the power requirements for external USB drives, mechanical hard disk drives requiring higher current 5V power feed than the solid state drives... Also the advice given in regards to running an USB mechanical hard disk drive off a RPi was that a HDD with a capacity over 500 GB SHOULD be powered off a an external 5V PSU.

The technology has advanced nevertheless in both HDDs/SSDs and Raspberry Pi design but I would still play conservatively when powering up USB devices plugged onto RPis... and let's not forget that the RPi 3B+ needs a higher current PSU than the other RPi versions.

Using separate PSUs on your particular set-up may not resolve the current problem but it will prevent subsequent issues for sure.
@jmgtierrez

Here's the blkid output for my example drive

Code:
pi@moodeT52:/var/www/css $ sudo blkid
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="boot" UUID="9304-D9FD" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="7ee80803-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="29075e46-f0d4-44e2-a9e7-55ac02d6e6cc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7ee80803-02"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="7ee80803" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="My Passport" UUID="767674FA7674BC85" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="My Passport" PARTUUID="f33b46f8-85e6-4274-b5c4-1055c88554fd"

As you can see, the report for my music partition (/dev/sda1) is the same as the one for your partition (/dev/sda2 in your case). I would expect them both to mount.

I would also expect to find some telltale lines in /var/log/syslog reporting a failure to mount the partition but I don't have an ready example at hand to use as illustration. (To return to my power fetish, I wonder if you see any reports in syslog of under voltage detection.)

What happens if you try to mount the partition manually? Something like parts three and four in the following

Code:
First - show my partition was already mounted in moOde
pi@moodeT52:~ $ mount|grep sda
/dev/sda1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)

Second, unmount it so I can try mounting it manually
pi@moodeT52:~ $ sudo umount /dev/sda1
pi@moodeT52:~ $ mount | grep sda

Third, make a temporary mount point
pi@moodeT52:~ $ sudo mkdir /tmp/mydrive

Fourth, as a test, mount the partition manually (you would use /dev/sda2)
pi@moodeT52:~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/mydrive
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mydrive type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

As you can see, the particulars are a bit different because of my minimalist mount command but the partition did mount successfully.

If this doesn't work, then your player can't mount the partition either. This is basic Raspbian (Linux), not specific to moOde.

If it does work, then your player should have mounted the partition and my money is still on marginal power. When a hard drive is spinning up the inrush current can be much higher than when it is at speed. This might be interfering with moOde startup.

Regards,
Kent
(05-29-2019, 07:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 02:35 PM)jmgtierrez Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 12:36 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: When u get a moment, mark you original post as [SOLVED] :-)

Hello, first of all, I would like to thank the work done with Moode Audio; I think it's a very interesting product, especially for audiophiles

I have installed on a Raspberry Pi B+ the last version, this is Moode v5.2; all is working well except the USB 2TB NTFS hard disk where I saved my music. It seems the system does not recognize the USB hard drive

Probably I am making an error, but I do not know how to address it; can you help me?

Thanks in advance

You also provide this information (requested by @TheOldPresbyope):

<< Related to the hard drive is properly powered, it is powered directely by the raspberry pi >>

I remember reading a couple of times a while ago some information regarding to the power requirements for external USB drives, mechanical hard disk drives requiring higher current 5V power feed than the solid state drives... Also the advice given in regards to running an USB mechanical hard disk drive off a RPi was that a HDD with a capacity over 500 GB SHOULD be powered off a an external 5V PSU.

The technology has advanced nevertheless in both HDDs/SSDs and Raspberry Pi design but I would still play conservatively when powering up USB devices plugged onto RPis... and let's not forget that the RPi 3B+ needs a higher current PSU than the other RPi versions.

Using separate PSUs on your particular set-up may not resolve the current problem but it will prevent subsequent issues for sure.
Hi Tim, it is an honor to get your direct support, thank you very much

I got your advice, so I plugged the USB hard drive with a dual cable, one USB cable to the raspberry and another cable to the 5v power supply. After that, the behavior of the system has not changed, so I will buy a powered USB hub and I will come back again

Thanks

Best regards
(05-29-2019, 04:31 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @jmgtierrez

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="boot" UUID="9304-D9FD" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="7ee80803-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="29075e46-f0d4-44e2-a9e7-55ac02d6e6cc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7ee80803-02"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="My Passport" UUID="767674FA7674BC85" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="My Passport" PARTUUID="f33b46f8-85e6-4274-b5c4-1055c88554fd"

As you can see, the report for my music partition (/dev/sda1) is the same as the one for your partition (/dev/sda2 in your case). I would expect them both to mount.

I would also expect to find some telltale lines in /var/log/syslog reporting a failure to mount the partition but I don't have an ready example at hand to use as illustration. (To return to my power fetish, I wonder if you see any reports in syslog of under voltage detection.)

What happens if you try to mount the partition manually? Something like parts three and four in the following

Code:
/dev/sda1 on /media/My Passport type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks)

/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mydrive type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

As you can see, the particulars are a bit different because of my minimalist mount command but the partition did mount successfully.

If this doesn't work, then your player can't mount the partition either. This is basic Raspbian (Linux), not specific to moOde.

If it does work, then your player should have mounted the partition and my money is still on marginal power. When a hard drive is spinning up the inrush current can be much higher than when it is at speed. This might be interfering with moOde startup.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent, today I had no time to make the checkings, I will do as soon as possible 

Thanks a lot 

Best regards
(05-29-2019, 09:02 PM)jmgtierrez Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 04:31 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @jmgtierrez

Code:

Code:

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent, today I had no time to make the checkings, I will do as soon as possible 

Thanks a lot 

Best regards

Hi Kent, I think the problem is solved

I followed your actions to manually mount the hard drive and I got a error in which I realized the problem was in the hard drive itself. Then I run chkdsk /F in a windows computer, the hard drive was fixed, I reconnected the hard drive to raspberry... and now, Moode is already scanning the the hard drive content

Thank you very much for your help

Kind regards