Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Expand filesystem to a certain size rather than fill SD card completely
Hi there,

I'm unable to perform an update from 7.1.0 to 7.2.0 as I have insufficient space available on the moOde image/partition (about 150Mb short).

The SD card is 32GB in size, however I am a bit reluctant to fully "expand" the file system to this size. 

My initial concern is that backing up the SD card at a later date would potentially create a 32 GB image file. Also wondering whether expanding the file system to the full 32GB would impact the performance of the moOde player?

Is there anyway that I can "expand" the file partition to a specified size?

Are there any temporary (or other) files that I could delete from the moode image that would allow me to free up space to perform the in-place update? 

Thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated!

Denis
Space allocation on a stock moOde image looks like below. Root file system has 892M available which is above the 512M minimum required for in-place update.

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       3.9G  2.8G  892M  77% /
devtmpfs        430M     0  430M   0% /dev
tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           463M  7.2M  456M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   54M  199M  22% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
pi@moode:~ $

Do you know what might be taking up additional space on your image for example song files on SDCard?

Expanding to full capacity of SDCard won't impact performance. I agree that the downside of this is that backup of SDCard will be a file the size of the entire SDCard and backup/restore will take a really long time.

I'll look into command that can expand to a specific size.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
You can check here, i've made a tuto to resize with the size u want:
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2970
(05-12-2021, 12:26 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Space allocation on a stock moOde image looks like below. Root file system has 892M available which is above the 512M minimum required for in-place update.

Code:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       3.9G  2.8G  892M  77% /
devtmpfs        430M     0  430M   0% /dev
tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           463M  7.2M  456M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1  253M   54M  199M  22% /boot
tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
pi@moode:~ $

Do you know what might be taking up additional space on your image for example song files on SDCard?

Expanding to full capacity of SDCard won't impact performance. I agree that the downside of this is that backup of SDCard will be a file the size of the entire SDCard and backup/restore will take a really long time.

I'll look into command that can expand to a specific size.

I'm not quite sure what might be taking up the space. I'm assuming it might be album thumbnails or database files as I haven't copied any other files to the SD card. I've tried compacting/clearing log files, playback history and database files but hasn't helped.

Here's what my image looks like:

Code:
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root            3.4G  2.9G  370M  89% /
devtmpfs             1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                1.9G  9.4M  1.9G   1% /run
tmpfs                5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1       253M   55M  198M  22% /boot
tmpfs                383M     0  383M   0% /run/user/1000

My root partition size is 3.4GB compared to the stock 3.9 GB. This difference would be enough to perform the in-place update! Not sure why my root partition is slightly smaller (and why my tmpfs partitions are so large in comparison to the stock image) given that I used the ready to use ISO image when I did the major upgrade to 7.0.0.
(05-12-2021, 03:35 PM)TookaFace Wrote: You can check here, i've made a tuto to resize with the size u want:
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2970

Awesome! Thanks for the above link. I was a bit cautious about deleting the partition and losing the partition completely. However the clear instructions made it easy to expand the root partition. Now I've been able to perform the in-place update  
Smile