Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Heartbeep and delay start of music
I am back from Kodi to MoOde as it is much easier to use - and sounds better :Big Grin

But there is one thing , where I see that Kodi has an advantage:

a) when Kodi starts up , it sends a startup sound to the speakers. This has two advantages : If you hear it, you hear that you have a connection between your remote and the player and second, if your speaker ( like mine) need a short impulse to wake up - they do so.
Now in MoOde there is such a thing missing and so the first 3-5 sec of my songs are already gone.

b) Kodi could play an un-hearable sound while it is "on". This prevents speakers that with auto on/off from turning off while you search your library etc. It is like a heartbeep.
 I have not found such a setting in MoOde ?! is there any ? 

I am asking this here in support as somebody might already know a work around ( I assume that I am not the only one with auto on/off speakers Big Grin )
Couple of thoughts.

A startup sound could easily be implemented but it would conflict with auto-play. i wouldn't want to hear "ready" beeps right before the song or radio station began auto-playing.

Keeping MPD audio output open and playing some sort of "silence" when the player is paused  or stopped would prevent the other audio renderers from working. They need MPD's audio output to be closed when playback is stopped so they can open the audio output.

You could try adding some startup beep code to the file below. This file gets executed after moOde startup completes. It happens after auto-play though but I do have an old TODO list item to add a new script that would be executed right before auto-play happens in the startup sequence.

Code:
/var/local/www/commandw/wrkready.sh
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-16-2019, 05:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Couple of thoughts.

A startup sound could easily be implemented but it would conflict with auto-play. i wouldn't want to hear "ready" beeps right before the song or radio station began auto-playing.

Keeping MPD audio output open and playing some sort of "silence" when the player is paused  or stopped would prevent the other audio renderers from working. They need MPD's audio output to be closed when playback is stopped so they can open the audio output.

You could try adding some startup beep code to the file below. This file gets executed after moOde startup completes. It happens after auto-play though but I do have an old TODO list item to add a new script that would be executed right before auto-play happens in the startup sequence.

Code:
/var/local/www/commandw/wrkready.sh

Hmm, I have not yet looked into that file , but it sounds like that would be only a One-Time-Startup Signal , after a startup/reboot of the RPi/HW - so the signal would not be available if the system is still up, but has not played music for a period. Right ?

I didn't understand the part with MPD's audio output and others will open their audio output ... ????  Huh
So, is there a picture available , who/what else will use the output ? 

And could it not be an on/off Option - so if I don't need a second source/output or don't need autoplay, I could enable this ?
That file gets executes only once at the end of startup.

There are 4 other audio renderers in moOde including Bluetooth, Airplay, Spotify Connect and Squeezelite.

When any of these renderers are activated by an incoming connection they stop MPD playback and then open the audio output and begin playing. If MPD is continuously playing silence it will block the renderers from being able to open the audio output.
Enjoy the Music!
(01-16-2019, 07:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: That file gets executes only once at the end of startup.

There are 4 other audio renderers in moOde including Bluetooth, Airplay, Spotify Connect and Squeezelite.

When any of these renderers are activated by an incoming connection they stop MPD playback and then open the audio output and begin playing. If MPD is continuously playing silence it will block the renderers from being able to open the audio output.

Ah, ok - but all these renders are optional and as a default off. So another option as "render" would be to play at the beginning and at the end of the playlist such a heart-beep tone for a to be user defined period. You already have something like autoshuffle - it might work similar for the end of a playlist. Just a hear-beep sound instead of another random music file ?!
(01-17-2019, 02:28 PM)UpsiUps Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 07:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: That file gets executes only once at the end of startup.

Ah, ok - but all these renders are optional and as a default off. So another option as "render" would be to play at the beginning and at the end of the playlist such a heart-beep tone for a to be user defined period. You already have something like autoshuffle - it might work similar for the end of a playlist. Just a hear-beep sound instead of another random music file ?!

Oh, BTW: is there another script that is executed, when MoOde stops playing ? 
In this case I want to shutdown some services outside of MoOde ....
No such script. The list of event scripts that moOde uses are in /var/local/www/commandw

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ ls -l /var/local/www/commandw
total 28
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff  831 Jan 18 08:56 maint.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff  987 Jan 18 08:56 restart.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1686 Jan 18 08:56 slpower.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1788 Jan 18 08:56 spotevent.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1437 Jan 18 08:56 spspost.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1184 Jan 18 08:56 spspre.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff  929 Jan 18 08:56 wrkready.sh
pi@rp3:~ $
Enjoy the Music!
I just looked at them . Do I understand it right that spotevent.sh is called when the status of play/pause changed ?
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, was wrkready.sh removed, or re purposed somewhere? I can't find it in the directory listed. Trying to add a brief startup mp3 chime.
Yes it was removed quite a while ago because it created trouble reports when whatever commands that were placed in it didn't work or worse they hung the startup sequence.

I'm still having difficulty understanding the usage scenario where a startup chime would be beneficial.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!