Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem adding WD My Cloud NAS on the network
(02-08-2019, 12:21 PM)Paulbj Wrote: After much further tweaking of lots of things including returning the original the original SD card to the shop as it was, improbably enough, faulty! I now have the NAS mounted correctly. I have created one at a time, a NAS mount using the Samba then one using NFS and both show the sought after green tick!

That's good news. I've had so few uSD card failures that I forget to suggest it can happen.

Quote:However, if I go into the music browser immediately after mounting the NAS, I can see NAS item listed but there is no music available underneath it, if I click on it.

It takes time for the Music Player Daemon (MPD) which is at the core of moOde to build its database from the information it finds in the files on the NAS. Did you notice the rotating arrows appear in the Music tab when you mounted the NAS? Tim uses that symbolic device to show MPD is busy. My particular moOde/NAS combo takes about 5 minutes to complete the scan.

The information in the Music tab, including in the Browse view, is generated from the MPD database and not directly from the filesystem, so you can't browse the NAS folder "immediately".

Quote:After a few minutes, the NAS item in the music browser disappears  and nothing I can think of will bring it back!

I have had a look in the /mnt/NAS folder and the NAS is listed there along all the sub-folders that should be there and the sub-sub-folders etc. I can drill right down through the sub-folders to the music files at the lowest levels BUT none of that shows up on the music browser!

I'm not sure what's happening here but I have a suspicion that MPD is not able to scan the NAS contents. Have a look at the log file /var/log/mpd/log. You should see a long list of entries of the form

Code:
Feb 08 09:07 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/03 Ravi Shankar - Raga Ramkali.flac
Feb 08 09:07 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/01 Ravi Shankar - Raga Hamsadhwani.flac
Feb 08 09:07 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/02 Ravi Shankar - Dhun Kafi.flac

If there is none, then MPD didn't add any tracks to its database. I suspect it subsequently deleted the NAS folder in the Music/Browse tab because from MPD's perspective it contains no musical content. (Probably should double check with @Tim Curtis  about my hypothesized sequence of events.)

Why MPD may fail to scan files containing music tracks is another discussion. You'll see it crop up in other threads on this forum and elsewhere.

Regards,
Kent
(02-08-2019, 02:51 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 12:21 PM)Paulbj Wrote: .............................etc...........
Quote:However, if I go into the music browser immediately after mounting the NAS, I can see NAS item listed but there is no music available underneath it, if I click on it.

It takes time for the Music Player Daemon (MPD) which is at the core of moOde to build its database from the information it finds in the files on the NAS. Did you notice the rotating arrows appear in the Music tab when you mounted the NAS? Tim uses that symbolic device to show MPD is busy. My particular moOde/NAS combo takes about 5 minutes to complete the scan.

The information in the Music tab, including in the Browse view, is generated from the MPD database and not directly from the filesystem, so you can't browse the NAS folder "immediately"         ............................etc.......................

@Paulbj

I've re-built and re-configured a Moode installation on a RPi 2 very recently and the scanning/re-building of a Library database based on a correctly mounted NAS containing 2.7 TB of music files took over 30 minutes. As @TheOldPresbyope mentioned you cannot browse (or play) the NAS folder while the rotating arrows appear in the MUSIC tab... time for tea, coffee or something stronger... wait until the arrows stop rotating, there's no warning message, they just stop. Angel
(02-09-2019, 07:26 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 02:51 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 12:21 PM)Paulbj Wrote: .............................etc...........

The information in the Music tab, including in the Browse view, is generated from the MPD database and not directly from the filesystem, so you can't browse the NAS folder "immediately"         ............................etc.......................

@Paulbj

I've re-built and re-configured a Moode installation on a RPi 2 very recently and the scanning/re-building of a Library database based on a correctly mounted NAS containing 2.7 TB of music files took over 30 minutes. As @TheOldPresbyope mentioned you cannot browse (or play) the NAS folder while the rotating arrows appear in the MUSIC tab... time for tea, coffee or something stronger... wait until the arrows stop rotating, there's no warning message, they just stop. Angel

The problem is that the NAS item in the music browser disappears after a few minutes; never to be seen again. It seems clear that the MPD cannot, for some reason index the contents of the NAS but no one seems to be able to suggest a reason why. I have another 'hardware identical' player running Volumio and that doesn't seem to have any problem at all indexing the contents of the same NAS so I am a bit mystified!

I had a look in mnt/NAS/ and the NAS is there along with all its sub-folders and sub-sub-folders etc so the Moode system clearly has access to it or it wouldn't have been able to create that structure
Hi
I had a problem mounting my WDCloud too. My solution is I assigned a static IP to my NAS and then I had let moode search again for NAS. It now works perfect. I assume ".local" is doing the same job, however.
(02-11-2019, 03:43 PM)IT-Andy52 Wrote: Hi
I had a problem mounting my WDCloud too. My solution is I assigned a static IP to my NAS and then I had let moode search again for NAS. It now works perfect. I assume ".local" is doing the same job, however.

I gave up with Moode, installed Volumio and had the NAS mounted, running and delivering music inside of 15 minutes. Problem solved!
(02-11-2019, 03:55 PM)Paulbj Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 03:43 PM)IT-Andy52 Wrote: Hi

I gave up with Moode, installed Volumio and had the NAS mounted, running and delivering music inside of 15 minutes. Problem solved!

Hi, I had also a problem with mounting NAS. I use 3 MoodeAudio RPI's (Katana 1.2, HiFiBerry DAC+ and one with USB: the Behringer UCA 200.
The other 2 just worked fine.
Copied Moode 5 IMG on the SD card, insert in on RPI, boot and configure, mount NAS and problem solved!

Greetings!