Moode Forum

Full Version: MoOde 5 with RC1 update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to Tim for creating this extraordinary software and the support form the mods here.

I've downloaded MoOde 5 with the RC1 and the installation went flawlessly, I use A Pi3 B with a liner PSU made by a nerdy friend that loves making stuff...

I thought 4.4 was an improvement over previous versions in just about everywhere, I couldn't wait for 5 and gleefully downloaded and installed it without a hitch, this time however I was a little disappointed with the sound
MoOde 5  I've found it's closed in and doesn't have the soundstage of 4.4, in 4.4 the stereo width and depth is superb with spacial cues and a realism to the sound. In 5 there seems to be a reduction in sounsdtage both width and the fine detail is a little lacking especially on tracks with delicate reverb.

Now I might be completely bonkers thinking there is a difference between 4.4 and 5 regarding differences in imaging and soundstage but to my ears there is a difference. I  swapped out 5 and popped 4.4 back in place and lo! The soundstage was back in all its 3D glory.

Are there any difference with the codecs or a few changes to the new version that could have the effect I'm hearing?

(P.S) the configuration is identical between versions)

Many thanks for all your hard work Tim!

Thanks for any input,
Mark
Hi Mark,

Use moOde 5 production release. The Beta's and RC's had MPD 0.21.6 as the default and this series has some issues. The prod release has MPD 0.20.20 as default, same ver as in the moOde 4 series.

As far as other changes in the audio pipeline in moOde 5 you would have to look into the Linux kernel commit logs to find audio related commits. I know that when they bumped to the new 4.19.y kernel branch there were fixes to the PCM5xxx codec, I2S interface, new drivers for certain DAC's. etc. moOde 5 uses kernel 4.19 34.

-Tim
(04-18-2019, 04:12 PM)Strider Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to Tim for creating this extraordinary software and the support form the mods here.

I've downloaded MoOde 5 with the RC1 and the installation went flawlessly, I use A Pi3 B with a liner PSU made by a nerdy friend that loves making stuff...

I thought 4.4 was an improvement over previous versions in just about everywhere, I couldn't wait for 5 and gleefully downloaded and installed it without a hitch, this time however I was a little disappointed with the sound
MoOde 5  I've found it's closed in and doesn't have the soundstage of 4.4, in 4.4 the stereo width and depth is superb with spacial cues and a realism to the sound. In 5 there seems to be a reduction in sounsdtage both width and the fine detail is a little lacking especially on tracks with delicate reverb.

Now I might be completely bonkers thinking there is a difference between 4.4 and 5 regarding differences in imaging and soundstage but to my ears there is a difference. I  swapped out 5 and popped 4.4 back in place and lo! The soundstage was back in all its 3D glory.

Are there any difference with the codecs or a few changes to the new version that could have the effect I'm hearing?

(P.S) the configuration is identical between versions)

Many thanks for all your hard work Tim!

Thanks for any input,
Mark

(04-18-2019, 04:23 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Mark,

Use moOde 5 production release. The Beta's and RC's had MPD 0.21.6 as the default and this series has some issues. The prod release has MPD 0.20.20 as default, same ver as in the moOde 4 series.

As far as other changes in the audio pipeline in moOde 5 you would have to look into the Linux kernel commit logs to find audio related commits. I know that when they bumped to the new 4.19.y kernel branch there were fixes to the PCM5xxx codec, I2S interface, new drivers for certain DAC's. etc. moOde 5 uses kernel 4.19 34.

-Tim
Hi Tim,
Many thanks for the response, I didn't want to come across as ungrateful or criticize as I know the hard work you put into this project. I'll definitely apply your recommendations, I'll say that 5 looks very pretty and has some excellent features and is a step up from 4.4 visually.

Many thanks again for your help,
Mark
@Strider

I'll lead by saying I no longer have a golden ear so won't try to comment on your observations about audio quality.

It would be interesting, though, to find out if you observe any change for the better by applying @Edward's Sound Tweaks

Regards,
Kent
(04-18-2019, 05:23 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@Strider

I'll lead by saying I no longer have a golden ear so won't try to comment on your observations about audio quality.

It would be interesting, though, to find out if you observe any change for the better by applying @Edward's Sound Tweaks

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,
many thanks for your reply, I'm what you guys affectionately call an 'audiophile'. Well to be honest I have a music addiction but good kit just brings my audio nirvana a little closer!
I certainly shall having a play with Edward's sound tweaks as wreaking the last ounce of performance is something I am willing to pursue, however, I' m still stunned by the performance of all MoOde versions as I've tried the competitors and there simply isn't anything out there that ticks all the boxes like MoOde.
Thanks guys, you always bring the goods to the table.
Mark
Heads up gents, Muchus gracias for all your help, MoOde 5 production version now installed as well as Edward's sound improvements and I'm happily back on audiophile track!

Please feel free to close this thread and I don't wish to take up any data real estate, again thank you all,
Mark
(04-20-2019, 07:53 PM)Strider Wrote: [ -> ]Heads up gents, Muchus gracias for all your help, MoOde 5 production version now installed as well as Edward's sound improvements and I'm happily back on audiophile track!

Please feel free to close this thread and I don't wish to take up any data real estate, again thank you all,
Mark

Moode 5.x with the sound tweaks sounds much better than Moode 4.x, back to (or better than) the sound quality I had in 3.x with the real-time kernel.

Your ears may differ from mine in this respect.

Phil
(04-24-2019, 06:23 PM)philrandal Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2019, 07:53 PM)Strider Wrote: [ -> ]Heads up gents, Muchus gracias for all your help, MoOde 5 production version now installed as well as Edward's sound improvements and I'm happily back on audiophile track!

Mark

Moode 5.x with the sound tweaks sounds much better than Moode 4.x, back to (or better than) the sound quality I had in 3.x with the real-time kernel.

Your ears may differ from mine in this respect.

Phil

Hi Phil, I've been using MoOde for a few years and just gets better and better, it sits heads and shoulders above other music server software out there.