Moode Forum

Full Version: 128x64 OLED with Song Status and Spectrum Display on Raspberry Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-15-2018, 10:42 AM)adrii Wrote: [ -> ]Hi DRONE7

If you would like to troubleshoot the issue then please post the mpd_oled command line that you are trying, and a link to the display that you bought.

Adrian.

Hi Adrian, thanks...I will have another attempt with a fresh install tonight, time permitting.

Is it possible to disable the spectrum analyser for this screen ?  
Not a fan of winkinblinkin lights...;-)     
(On my 16x2 lcd displays I even map scrolling to a Lirc button for 'scroll on demand' just to remove the visual distraction of constant repeated scrolling..)

Edit....ok tried again with fresh install and everything completes (at no time does the oled light)
Seems the roadblock is the minimal list of supported screens none of which I am using. Mine is a generic 0.96 i2c screen
Tried running the code for each and moode terminal returns blank line... a ctrl-c to exit produces a segmentation fault.

@TheOldPresbyope ...Hi Kent, thanks for that troubleshooting....  can you post or pm me the fix ?  I would be keen to get that screen working as it seems to be scaleable....I am using 0.96 screen as the 1.3 screens I ordered are lost and awaiting replacement.
If It can be made to work then a 2.42 screen is tempting as in this youtube clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx8KunB0ka8
Hi DRONE7

The mpd_oled screen layout is not currently configurable.

The project that is working for you includes the lines

Code:
RST=24
# 128x64 display with hardware I2C:
disp = Adafruit_SSD1306.SSD1306_128_64(rst=RST)

mpd_oled includes Adafruit code to control the display, and if your display works with this project's default values then the corresponding display type and reset pin settings should be "mpd_oled -o 3 -r 24".

I only have SSH1106 I2C displays, but I have had a report of mpd_oled working with a SSD1306 I2C display. In that case the display's I2C address was 0x3d, but the project that is working for you appears to be using 0x3c as a default and this is also the mpd_oled default. However, you could check your display's I2C address by installing and running i2cdetect, and look for a 3c or 3d in the output

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install i2c-tools
sudo i2cdetect -y 1

Adrian.
Adrian....you're a Magician of the finest ilk ! 

Works perfectly using your suggested 'mpd_oled -o 3 -r 24'     (I2C address is default 3c)

I am looking forward to my replacement 1.3 screens arriving..... these 0.96 are sharp enough but need peering sans spectacles to read..lol.

You say "The mpd_oled screen layout is not currently configurable."   does that imply that it may one day be configurable..?

Can scroll speed be adjusted currently..?

Cheers and many thanks...
Hi DRONE7

Great that it is working!

I plan to make the display layout configurable, but haven't started on this yet.

You can set the scroll speed and delay with mpd_oled -s

Code:
-s <vals>  scroll rate (pixels per second) and start delay (seconds), up
             to four comma separated decimal values (default: 8.0,5.0) as:
                rate_all
                rate_all,delay_all
                rate_title,delay_all,rate_artist
                rate_title,delay_title,rate_artist,delay_artist

Adrian.
Excellent... bumped scrolling up to  20.0,5.0   No problems.

Thanks Adrian....experimented further and now have scrolling set at 20.0,2.0,10.0,5.0
Hi. I got it to work with this 2.42 inches 128x64 i2c oled display. Very nice. Good work adrii.
[attachment=209]
Hi Remy

Great! The larger display looks really good. Thanks for letting me know.

Adrian.
Today received a screen. Everything is working! Next - pydPiper.[attachment=211][attachment=212][attachment=213]
Hi ear5142

Looks good, and congratulations on the quick install! Thanks for letting me know. 

Adrian.
Hi Adrian.... well ebay vendors have lost my displays and are about to be clobbered as they have ceased replying to my missives....
Oh well, will try another supplier... maybe that bigger screen...
Meantime I bumped the rate up as the spectrum analyser was lagging....

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Code:
dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=400000

that did the trick but one other glitch eludes me....

On this small .96 screen the bottom 50% is well resolved and easily read...
However, the top 50% is broken, so things like ip address and bit-rate are just blobby smears...
Is this just a failing of the smaller display or is there some adjustment I can make...?

note .....My DIYinHK  dac has the same display and it renders fine....

Thanks,
Bob