Moode Forum

Full Version: Samba mount seems to work but fails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I encountered a strange Samba problem, probably no specific to the moode player 6.1), as it occurs on another machine as well, but maybe somebody here has an idea what is going on.

I have successfully used an ext4-fomatted disk via a NAS for my music collection.
But after some clean-up on a different machine (Linux, where the disk had been prepared originally and then worked in the NAS), the following problem occurs:

Configuratiion works fine, I get the green check mark. But when I look (via ssh),
whether the share is mounted correctly, the size-info is totally wrong. Instead of a
4TB drive (3844608996) that is 81% full, it shows an 8GB drive (7633920) that is 8% full. The same values show up for a 2TB drive that is 76% full. On the NAS I see the correct values and all the files, but of course moode cannot see those.

The weird thing is that the same 4TB disk used to work before. I did do a file-system check on the Linux machine after working on the disk, though. Any ideas what might cause this problem and what I can do short of reformatting the disks and re-copying the music onto them?

I have attempted to mount the Samba share directly via ssh, but got an error 22 with the following message at the end of dmesg:

"No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB2.1 or later (e.g. SMB3), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 (or SMB2.1) specify vers=1.0 on mount."

When mounting the share through the the web-interface, no message is attached to dmesg.

The NAS uses the following Samba-configuration:
bind interfaces only = yes
deadtime = 30
enable core files = no
invalid users = root
local master = no
map to guest = Bad User
max protocol = SMB2
min receivefile size = 16384
null passwords = yes
passdb backend = smbpasswd
security = user
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
use sendfile = yes

-- Jürgen
I have since traced the problem to a faulty and/or old version of samba on the NAS. I've updated this to Samba4, and I'm
now trying to figure out how to mount the shares with this new version. Unfortunately, the values that used to work before don't work anymore. Can't even get the server address and share name right: No such device or address :-((
To troubleshoot, try mounting manually. Change vers=1.0 to 2.0, 3.0, etc if needed. Change username and password if needed.

Code:
sudo mkdir ./test

sudo mount -t cifs "//HOST_OR_IPADDR/SHARE_NAME" -o username=guest,password='',rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 "./test"

ls ./test

sudo umount ./test
sudo rmdir ./test

You can also try the command below to list Samba shares discovered on your network

Code:
smbtree -N -b
I just switched the samba server from Ubuntu 18.0.4 to the Focal/current release and Samba mount stops working.

pi@moode:~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //ip_address_here/Music -o username=guest,password='',rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 ./test
mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

pi@moode:~ $ sudo smbtree -N -b
smbXcli_negprot_smb1_done: No compatible protocol selected by server.

Anyone knows how I could get around it? I could certainly mount it manually to /var/lib/music/NAS using

sudo mount.cifs //ip_address_here/Music -o username=guest,password='' /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS

but then everything is lost after a reboot.

Any tips? TIA.
If both the file server and the client are Linux, why are you using SMB? NFS is a thing.. and a more efficient network filesystem protocol.
(03-30-2021, 09:05 PM)quattr0 Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched the samba server from Ubuntu 18.0.4 to the Focal/current release and Samba mount stops working.

pi@moode:~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //ip_address_here/Music -o username=guest,password='',rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,vers=1.0,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 ./test

Anyone knows how I could get around it? I could certainly mount it manually to /var/lib/music/NAS using

sudo mount.cifs //ip_address_here/Music -o username=guest,password='' /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS

Any tips? TIA.

What version of moOde?
(03-30-2021, 09:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2021, 09:05 PM)quattr0 Wrote: [ -> ]I just switched the samba server from Ubuntu 18.0.4 to the Focal/current release and Samba mount stops working.

Any tips? TIA.

What version of moOde?

Sorry...7.0.1 
(03-30-2021, 09:35 PM)vinnn Wrote: [ -> ]If both the file server and the client are Linux, why are you using SMB? NFS is a thing.. and a more efficient network filesystem protocol.

I hear ya...wifey needs to save her Pictures from Windows so I keep samba to make her happy.
(03-30-2021, 09:57 PM)quattr0 Wrote: [ -> ]

Any tips? TIA.

What version of moOde?

Sorry...7.0.1 

Whats the output from the command below?

Code:
nmap "SERVER_NAME or IP_ADDRESS" -p 139 --script smb-protocols |grep \|
(03-30-2021, 10:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2021, 09:57 PM)quattr0 Wrote: [ -> ]

Any tips? TIA.

What version of moOde?

Sorry...7.0.1 

Whats the output from the command below?

Code:
nmap "SERVER_NAME or IP_ADDRESS" -p 139 --script smb-protocols |grep \|

Ah hah..looks like it doesn't support v1 anymore?

pi@moode:~ $ nmap 192.168.x.x -p 139 --script smb-protocols | grep \|
| smb-protocols:
|   dialects:
|_    3.11
Pages: 1 2