Moode Forum

Full Version: Can't hear any sound setting MPD SoX compansating Kernel bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So today I installed MoOde on my Raspberry and I'm thrilled by the design of it and how it looks Smile . After enjoying a 1st song, I tried another MP3 song and I've encountered the horrible white noise issue as described here:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...ight=noise

And so I've applied the workaround suggested in the 2nd message and the loud white noise was gone. However, I can hear no sound at all now.

I'm using Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Piano 2.1 DAC and the Kali reclocker.

Here are my current Audio configuration parameters:

Code:
Audio device        = Allo Piano 2.1 Hi-Fi DAC
Interface        = I2S
Mixer name        = Master
Hardware volume        = Controller detected
Max ALSA volume        = 100
Audio source        = Local
Output device        = Local
Resume MPD        = No
Volume knob        = 0
Volume mute        = Unmuted
Saved MPD vol        = 0
Preamp volume        = 0
ALSA version        = 1.1.8-1+rpt1
SoX version        = 0.1.2-3

Bluetooth controller    = Off
Pairing agent        = Off
Airplay receiver    = Off
Spotify receiver    = Off
Squeezelite        = Off
UPnP client        = Off
DLNA server        = Off
GPIO button handler    = Off
UPnP browser        = Off

Auto-shuffle        = Off
Autoplay        = Off
Rotary encoder        = Off
Encoder params        = 100 2 3 23 24
Polarity inversion    = Off
Crossfeed        = Off
Crossfade        = Off
Parametric EQ        = Off
Graphic EQ        = Off
MPD httpd        = Off

And the MPD settings:

Code:
Version            = 0.21.16
Volume control        = software
ALSA device        = hw:0
SoX resampling        = 192000:32:2
SoX quality        = very high
SoX multithreading    = off
DSD over PCM (DoP)    = no
Replaygain        = off
Replaygain preamp    = 0
Volume normalization    = No
Audio buffer        = 4096 (kb)
Output buffer size    = 131072 (kb)

I tried other bitrates for the SoX resampling and they didn't work...

I hope I've given enough information in order for this to be debugged. Thanks in advance.
While the song is playing post the contents of the Audio info screen plus the command below.

Code:
/var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol Master
(12-12-2019, 06:49 PM)doronbehar Wrote: [ -> ]So today I installed MoOde on my Raspberry and I'm thrilled by the design of it and how it looks Smile . After enjoying a 1st song, I tried another MP3 song and I've encountered the horrible white noise issue as described here:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...ight=noise

And so I've applied the workaround suggested in the 2nd message and the loud white noise was gone. However, I can hear no sound at all now.

I'm using Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Piano 2.1 DAC and the Kali reclocker.

I tried other bitrates for the SoX resampling and they didn't work...

I hope I've given enough information in order for this to be debugged. Thanks in advance.

Go ahead and do what Tim asked, but I have a background observation.

The specific post you cite describes a workaround for a kernel bug which prevents the Allo product from reproducing audio sampled at 24-bit depth. The workaround consists of padding each 3-byte sample (=24 bits) to a length of 4 bytes (=32 bits). Technically this isn't resampling since all the existing bits stay the same.

But you said "another MP3 song." That's not 24-bit audio. Indeed, since MP3 is a lossy compression technique, it's difficult to assign a notion of a bit depth to MP3-encoded material. If MP3 is the problem then the workaround would not seem to be the answer.

How about looking at both songs---the one that plays and the one that fails to play?

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for your quick replies guys, I hoped I'll get email notifications but I didn't hence I'm replying only now.

@TheOldPresbyope I got confused when I was writing the post in regard to the MP3/flac issue: Originally, before setting SoX in MPD, playing a flac file worked fine but an MP3 file produced the noise issue. Now, as I said, no sound is heard at all.

@Tim Curtis, While playing both the Flac and MP3 files, the command you posted says:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ /var/www/command/util.sh get-alsavol Master
100%

For the Flac file which used to play when SoX was disabled, the audio info says:

16/44.1 FLAC

And for the MP3 file which produced the noise when SoX was disabled:

44.1 MPEG Audio
BTW @Tim Curtis while thinking more over this, was it ever considered to downgrade the kernel in order to mitigate this bug? I noticed there's the 4.0.9 kernel branch which we could use instead of the current 4.14 branch. WDYT?
The file that shows as "44.1 MPEG Audio" in Audio info probably can't be decoded correctly by MPD/FFMPEG. Errors might show up in the MPD log but not something I can fix.

Do u mean the Kali 24-bit noise bug?

moOde 6 series is based on Raspbian Buster (10.0 and higher) which requires the 4.19.y kernel branch. Not possible to downgrade kernel.
Quote:The file that shows as "44.1 MPEG Audio" in Audio info probably can't be decoded correctly by MPD/FFMPEG. Errors might show up in the MPD log but not something I can fix.

That's impossible. With MPD installed here on my PC, I can hear all of my music library just fine. My MoOde installation mounts these files via Samba. Please @Tim Curtis, this couldn't be the reason for MPD to fail playing those files. Could you please take a look at the settings I've posted in my initial post? There must be something wrong there...
Is your PC version the same as moOde version 0.21.16?
What does the MPD log show when trying to play the file?
The log is empty when I press to play either of these files. I can hear a small noise when doing so but no sound comes out. I can also the blue and red* LEDS on the board blink during the play.

EDIT: typo in red
Quote:Is your PC version the same as moOde version 0.21.16?

No. My PC's distro is NixOS and it's MPD is compiled with most decoders / features, see this list.
Pages: 1 2