Moode Forum

Full Version: How to set picture in library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I see following information.  (see picture)
For the 3 different album i got a picture
But for the artisit itself it doenst show anything.

How can you set an artist picture?
Displaying artist image is on the TODO list but prolly won't be implemented until moOde 7 series which will be the next release after 6.6.y.

IIRC the proposal for artist image is to look in the album directory for any of the files below.

artist.jpg
Artist.jpg
Artist_Name.jpg

If there is another approach let me know.
(07-01-2020, 11:57 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Displaying artist image is on the TODO list but prolly won't be implemented until moOde 7 series which will be the next release after 6.6.y.

IIRC the proposal for artist image is to look in the album directory for any of the files below.

artist.jpg
Artist.jpg
Artist_Name.jpg

If there is another approach let me know.

I notice it's a lot of work to handle and update my music-collections.

your approach looks OK to start, but to maintain its very difficult.   I've spent hours to add images etc...

Can it be stored in the DB with your initial approach?   
and updated if requested by connect to external DB like Wikipedia : 
eg : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Michael

This way it's possible to show some inside information on the artist aswell.

Grouping by artist is also welcome on the small screen (smartphone) . I have 10 albums of 1 artists, always have to scroll them in a very long list.... Grouping by artist will shorten the list and makes it more userfriendly in my opinion...Just a Thought
Most users spend a lot of time on their collection. Whatever images you add remain in your file system. moOde just reads them.

Try using the AlbumArtist tag to group things.
I think I still don't quiet get it where the pictures are coming from.

I put front and back cover embedded in the FLAC file.  
Some are shown, some not.

some other example :
Selecting album show picture in the botoom section.  
On the right side seciton ALBUM by ARTIST doesnt show anything
on the bottom, song playing shows a broken picture 
Undecided Huh
[If there are any mistakes in the following I'm sure Tim will correct them, but here's how it looks to me from my seat in the bleachers.]

Images which are embedded in individual track files as part of their metadata are treated one way. Image files which are in the album directory containing the track files are treated another way. The "Cover search priority" selector in the Appearance configuration screen in moOde tells which to choose if both are present.

For embedded images, let's look at two common metadata schemes (there are other schema and other music encodings; I just chose the ones I usually see):

The ID3v2 scheme (commonly used to tag MP3 files) allows the embedding of none, one, or many images in individual "APIC" frames, each with a Picture Type code like "$03", which is the code for "Cover (front)". 

Likewise, the Vorbis Comment scheme (used to tag FLAC file and various OGG encapsulations) allows the embedding of none, one, or many images in individual "METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE" blocks, each with a Picture Type code copied from the ID3v2 scheme.

From what I see in the moOde code it appears that, for both types of files, Tim's coverart.php routine extracts only the first image, if any is present in the track file, without regard to its Picture Type. This is not unreasonable to do given the state of metadata markup in the real world.

What this means for you is that at best only the first image encountered in a file's markup would be used.

As for image files in album directories, there is no standard for it, only conventions observed by some software and broken by others.

The current coverart.php code requires a cover image in an album directory to be JPEG, TIFF, or PNG encoded,  to have one of four basenames: ("Cover" | "cover" | "Folder" | "folder"), and to have an extension to match the type: (".jpg" | ".jpeg" | ".png" | ".tif" | ".tiff"). Again only one image will be used.

So, to consider your question about more imagery.

Among the decisions to be made are:
  • what image types will be accommodated (ID3v2 defines 21 different ones, including Type "$11" - A bright coloured fish !)
  • how they would be extracted from embedded metadata, given the state of the existing specs, and how they shall be named so they can be extracted from directories. 
  • how they shall be displayed and otherwise used in the moOde UI.
All this has to be coded and tested. Then, of course, users who want to exploit the new capability will have to adjust their collections to match.

dealing with URLs is awkward IMHO because anything less than a popup web browser is likely to be inadequate in handling them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks Kent for the detailed information.

Linking to some website to extract the information is for sure not the way to go.
Based on the artist name, you should be able to extract the necessary information from that website DB with appropriate API and store gathered information locally.
This service wout make Moode stand out from the rest in my opionon.
Just a thought...for sure implementation isn't that easy...

From my understanding....I have all frontcover pictures embedded in the FLAC files.
How you explain the picture above (with Gun's & Roses FLACs [24/192]) In some places the picture is shown, in others not.  When you click on the playing song (With the broken pic sign)...it shows the picture in the new window (the one with playlist, volume, ...)

Very weird and I don't know how to fix it. Undecided
Look in the Moode log to see if there any errors from the Thumbnail generator

Code:
moodeutl -l

You should see something like below if it ran cleanly.

Code:
20200701 140044 worker: Job update_library
20200701 140044 thmcache: Start
20200701 140044 thmcache: Scanning: NAS, SDCARD, UPNP
20200701 140053 thmcache: Done: 353 album dirs processed
20200701 140108 worker: Job update_library done
(07-01-2020, 06:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Look in the Moode log to see if there any errors from the Thumbnail generator

Code:
moodeutl -l

You should see something like below if it ran cleanly.

Code:
20200701 140044 worker: Job update_library
20200701 140044 thmcache: Start
20200701 140044 thmcache: Scanning: NAS, SDCARD, UPNP
20200701 140053 thmcache: Done: 353 album dirs processed
20200701 140108 worker: Job update_library done
I ran the moodeutl- l command.  Everything looks OK  except this 

Code:
20200702 115522 worker: -- Music sources
20200702 115522 worker: USB source (Music)
20200702 115522 worker: USB source (Music_)
20200702 115522 worker: USB source (Music__)
20200702 115533 sourceMount(): Mount error: (mount error(115): Operation now in                   progress

I have 2 partitions on the SD :  FAT32 for boot ;  NTFS for Music.  See previous post here

I can not find my music on the SD.  In the menu its under USB.   Music folder = Music__  while In windows I see it under <drive>:/Music
(07-01-2020, 05:15 PM)MrHifiTunes Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Kent for the detailed information.

Linking to some website to extract the information is for sure not the way to go.
Based on the artist name, you should be able to extract the necessary information from that website DB with appropriate API and store gathered information locally.
This service wout make Moode stand out from the rest in my opionon.
Just a thought...for sure implementation isn't that easy...

The question in my mind is, should moOde be all things to all people---music player, music collection management system, music ripper and transcoder, yada yada yada---or should it focus on its strengths as a music player?

I, for one, prefer it stay focused. There are already a number of music collection management systems, music rippers, etc., out there, each with its strengths and weaknesses as well as each having an incredible amount of labor and time invested in their creation. We don't need to compete with them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:From my understanding....I have all frontcover pictures embedded in the FLAC files.
How you explain the picture above (with Gun's & Roses FLACs [24/192]) In some places the picture is shown, in others not.  When you click on the playing song (With the broken pic sign)...it shows the picture in the new window (the one with playlist, volume, ...)

Very weird and I don't know how to fix it. Undecided

I'm working from memory here, but ISTR that I once saw this behavior. It might have been where my tracks had only embedded coverart but the cover search priority was set to "Cover file". Or maybe not. I'll have to try repro.

Regards,
Kent
Pages: 1 2