Moode Forum

Full Version: accessing PC harddrive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, I bought a pi2aes/pi4b and want to access my PC's harddrive.  I've tried looking thru posts to do this but honestly it just goes over my head.  Is it possible for someone to give me instructions on what info I need to enter in the configure menus?  I also read something about allowing sharing on my network.  I changed every setting I could see on my  PC that seemed to indicate something about "sharing" but have no clue if I  should or should not be doing this (security reasons?).  My next step will be to hire a tech to come in or remote access my computer but thought I'd ask here first if it is a simple task to walk me thru.  Unfortunately I've spent hours on this now and not getting anywhere.

Lastly, what is the function of the "*" in the player controls?  It seems to add about 140 random (but sometimes a single song) to the playlist.

Thanks in advance for any help.
From your post I am guessing you refer to a Windows PC ?
Some information would be of help ... Wink 

What Windows version ?
Can you post a screenshot of the MoOde configuration tab showing the input you have made that does not work ?

"function of the "*" in the player controls?" can you post a screenshot of that too... "*" seems odd

and what is a "pi2aes/pi4b" a Pi2 or a Pi4 ? do you have a link ?

cheers,
bob
The '*' is the random album button.
(09-30-2020, 04:17 AM)PERRLA Wrote: [ -> ]Lastly, what is the function of the "*" in the player controls?
"M" menu, Quick Help, you'll find the explanation of the * there.
(09-30-2020, 06:19 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: [ -> ]"From your post I am guessing you refer to a Windows PC ?
Some information would be of help ... Wink 

What Windows version ?
Can you post a screenshot of the MoOde configuration tab showing the input you have made that does not work ?

"function of the "*" in the player controls?"  can you post a screenshot of that too...  "*"  seems odd

and what is a "pi2aes/pi4b"  a Pi2 or a Pi4 ?  do you have a link ?"
http://www.pi2design.com/store/p19/PI2AE...HIELD.html
with the Pi4b 2gb

I think Windows 10 but will have to check.  I will post screen shots later tonight when I get home.  Thanks.
If Quick help is blank you prolly have a broken image. You should start with a fresh image downloaded from moodeaudio.org then write it to a known good SD Card.
[quote pid='25368' dateline='1601450700']
The '*' is the random album button.
[/quote]

""M" menu, Quick Help, you'll find the explanation of the * there."

Hmmm, last time I checked the "quick help" tab it was blank(?).  If it is the random button, from which folder/source does it choose from and it doesn't seem to be very "random" as it is the same 1-4 songs repeated 140 times.
Here are some screenshots of my pi setup.  I'm wanting to access music files on my PC computer which has windows 10.  Should I not be seeing th Pi on the network? I'm using the BNC output of the pi to a separate DAC. I have an ethernet cable into the pi but would also like to test it wirelessly.  Is it just a matter of removing the cable.

I know this must be a very painful for some to read but any assistance is greatly appreciated.
@PERRLA

I think you are lookiing at this problem backwards. If you want to access audio files on your Windows computer from your moOde player you need to do several things.

1) In the Windows file system, share the directory (aka folder) containing the files of interest. Make sure the share permissions are okay. For example, you might allow all users to read the files in the directory. The result is a new Samba (SMB) share. 

Let's say your Windows hostname is "Win10" and the name of the directory you share is "Music". Then the network share path is \\Win10\Music (in Windows) and //Win10/Music (in Linux).

2) In the moOde player, go to the Library screen, click on CREATE Music source. In the screen which comes up, define the Windows server. If you haven't done anything special with SMB protocols on your Windows computer, the scan function will return, among other items, the Windows hostname but not the share name. You'll have to enter the path manually. If we continue the example from above, you will enter "Win10/Music". 

Get the userid/password right. If in 1) you allowed all users to read the directory, then here you can enter userid "Guest" and leave password blank.

Give this source a friendly name in the Name box, such as "Win10Music".

If you haven't done anything special with SMB protocols on your Windows computer, you'll have to modify the mount flags in the Advanced section at the bottom of the page. Change "vers=1.0" to 'vers=2.0" and keep the rest of the default flags.

Finally, click Save at the top of the page. You should see a green checkmark and a summary of the new share on the Library config screen. If you failed to adjust the vers= parameter, above, then you'll likely get a red X instead.

Once you're returned to the moOde Library screen, go to m>Update library so the new share will be scanned.

Now the files in your Win10 share should show in the various Library views.

Win10 has become quite finicky as Microsoft continues to fiddle with SMB. I'm not surprised your moOde player doesn't show up as a computer in the network manager. However, once you enable UPnP service on the player, you'll see it show up as a media server.

Regards,
Kent
@PERRLA 

I tested this procedure with Windows10 Pro. Your mileage may vary if you are using Windows 10 Home.
Pages: 1 2 3