Moode Forum

Full Version: Moode and Pi Zero W
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
morning all
Happy user of a Pi4 2GB with Moode v 7.3
I’d like to put together a very simple streamer for a family member and was thinking about using a Pi Zero W.
Apologies for the following questions, but having tried to answer these myself, I’d appreciate a bit of re-assurance that I haven't missed something;

RAM/memory. With only 512Mb on the Zero, can I just check that this is enough to play locally stored FLAC files without clicks/pops/stuttering, etc

The power/bus Ethernet/usb known issue on the Pi3+ (resolved on the Pi4) aren’t relevant with the Zero because it doesn’t offer Ethernet? is this correct?

Anything else I’m missing?

The intention is to go USB out into a Topping E30.

Thanks
I run a Pi Zero W with an I2S hat amp/dac quite happily. It has no bother with FLAC locally or over wifi. I have no experience of using USB on it though.
I find as long as you are not too ambitious with resampling, EQ and so on then a Zero is fine.
If OP doesn't have enclosure constraints a Pi-3A+ which has 4-core ARM7 CPU, dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi and integrated USB port would be a good choice.
(10-20-2021, 02:17 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: [ -> ]I run a Pi Zero W with an I2S hat amp/dac quite happily.  It has no bother with FLAC locally or over wifi.  I have no experience of using USB on it though.
I find as long as you are not too ambitious with resampling, EQ and so on then a Zero is fine.

Thanks.
where do you store the FLAC files?
(10-20-2021, 02:21 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]If OP doesn't have enclosure constraints a Pi-3A+ which has 4-core ARM7 CPU, dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi and integrated USB port would be a good choice.

Thanks Tim.
I’m not familiar with this model of Pi and had to look up the spec.
with only a single USB port; given that I would want to store FLACs locally and use the USB socket for output to the DAC, presumably the FLAC files need to be stored on the same card as the op sys? Not something I’ve tried before.
Any other requirements besides 2X USB ports for example 5GHz WiFi?
@Leviathan

I agree with @the_bertrum's comments but if you don't already have the Zero W then I'd suggest you strongly consider the Pi3A+ instead. Yes, it's US$15 more than the Zero W (here in the USA, anyway) but compare the specs

CPU
Pi 3 A+: 1.4 GHz quad-core A53 64-bit with ARMv8 instruction set
Zero W: 1 GHz ARM11 32-bit with ARMv6Z 32-bit instruction set

Pi 3 A+: 512 MB LPDDR2 SDRAM
Zero W: 512 MB LPDDR2 SDRAM

WiFi
Pi 3A+: b/g/n/ac dual band 2.4/5 GHz
Zero W: b/g/n single band 2.4 GHz

Bluetooth
Pi 3A+: 4.2 BLE
Zero W: 4.1 BLE

IMHO the higher speed quad-core CPU with the ARMv8 instruction set is enough to seal the deal. That the Pi3A+ runs the full ARMv8 instruction set means no odd moOde workarounds are needed for certain code. That the Pi3A+ is 64-bit helps future-proof it. 

The memory size is the same. Practically this matters mostly when trying to build from sources. Candidly, the Zero W is a terrible choice for compiling code; the Pi3A+ can handle it decently if swap memory is enabled.

In my environment, the 2.4GHz band is crowded so dual-band WiFi is a godsend.

I'm not sure the slight uptick in Bluetooth spec on the Pi3A+ matters practically in our application; perhaps others can comment.

The rated idle current is 200ma on the Pi3A+ vs 100ma on the Zero W but the "max under stress" current is about the same, 350ma. I use the same model power supply for both.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

ETA - Of course Tim answered while I was still busy composing! Some day, Tim, some day!
(10-20-2021, 02:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]Any other requirements besides 2X USB ports for example 5GHz WiFi?

Hi Tim.
no - 5GHz WiFi not needed.
(10-20-2021, 02:33 PM)Leviathan Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2021, 02:17 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: [ -> ]I run a Pi Zero W with an I2S hat amp/dac quite happily.  It has no bother with FLAC locally or over wifi.  I have no experience of using USB on it though.

Thanks.
where do you store the FLAC files?

Mostly on a NAS and mounted to moOde, but I have some on the SD card.  I can't tell any difference between the two locations in terms of playback performance.
(10-20-2021, 02:47 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@Leviathan

I agree with @the_bertrum's comments but if you don't already have the Zero W then I'd suggest you strongly consider the Pi3A+ instead. Yes, it's US$15 more than the Zero W (here in the USA, anyway) but compare the specs

CPU
Pi 3 A+: 1.4 GHz quad-core A53 64-bit with ARMv8 instruction set
Zero W: 1 GHz ARM11 32-bit with ARMv6Z 32-bit instruction set

Pi 3 A+: 512 MB LPDDR2 SDRAM
Zero W: 512 MB LPDDR2 SDRAM

WiFi
Pi 3A+: b/g/n/ac dual band 2.4/5 GHz
Zero W: b/g/n single band 2.4 GHz

Bluetooth
Pi 3A+: 4.2 BLE
Zero W: 4.1 BLE

IMHO the higher speed quad-core CPU with the ARMv8 instruction set is enough to seal the deal. That the Pi3A+ runs the full ARMv8 instruction set means no odd moOde workarounds are needed for certain code. That the Pi3A+ is 64-bit helps future-proof it. 

The memory size is the same. Practically this matters mostly when trying to build from sources. Candidly, the Zero W is a terrible choice for compiling code; the Pi3A+ can handle it decently if swap memory is enabled.

In my environment, the 2.4GHz band is crowded so dual-band WiFi is a godsend.

I'm not sure the slight uptick in Bluetooth spec on the Pi3A+ matters practically in our application; perhaps others can comment.

The rated idle current is 200ma on the Pi3A+ vs 100ma on the Zero W but the "max under stress" current is about the same, 350ma. I use the same model power supply for both.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent
Thanks for the info.
No - I haven’t purchased anything yet.
It would be for a family member and I just wanted to put together something cheap and cheerful in case he doesn’t use it much.
WiFi would only be called upon as the method of controlling from an IPad - nothing else.
Bluetooth - not relevant in this case.
Thanks
Pages: 1 2