Moode Forum

Full Version: No permission to write on USB disk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all.

This is strange enough to me.
I have 2 Berry 4 running the last Moode version.
Each one of them has an external USB hard disk with my library.

In few words iam cloning my smooth-working home system,  bacause i want the same for another home.

Everything is the same, BUT in my 'home' system i can FTP files with filezilla directly from my desktop, in the 'clone' system i cant.

I dont know why, but permissions are different.
This is my home system....

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 29  2020 'Brian Eno - Music For Installations'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 16  2019 'Brian Eno - Music For White Cube (1997)'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Dec 24  2020 'Brian Eno - Nerve Net (1992) {2014 RE DLX WAST031CD}'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 16  2019 'Brian Eno - Panic of Looking'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 16  2019 'Brian Eno - Small Craft On a Milk Sea'

and this the clone ...

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:23 'Brian Eno - Music For Installations'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:23 'Brian Eno - Music For White Cube (1997)'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 Nov  5 13:23 'Brian Eno - Nerve Net'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 Nov  5 13:24 'Brian Eno - Nerve Net (1992) {2014 RE DLX WAST031CD}'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:24 'Brian Eno - Panic of Looking'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:24 'Brian Eno - Small Craft On a Milk Sea

Well, iam into the ssh builtin consolle, i thought that i could change the permission , so to have access to write from here, BUT iam NOT the root, so i cant or anyway nothing happens.

Could somebody help please?
(11-05-2021, 04:13 PM)HEGOM Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all.

In few words iam cloning my smooth-working home system,  bacause i want the same for another home.

Everything is the same, BUT in my 'home' system i can FTP files with filezilla directly from my desktop, in the 'clone' system i cant.

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 29  2020 'Brian Eno - Music For Installations'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 16  2019 'Brian Eno - Music For White Cube (1997)'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Dec 24  2020 'Brian Eno - Nerve Net (1992) {2014 RE DLX WAST031CD}'
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 262144 Nov 16  2019 'Brian Eno - Small Craft On a Milk Sea'

and this the clone ...

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:23 'Brian Eno - Music For White Cube (1997)'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 Nov  5 13:24 'Brian Eno - Nerve Net (1992) {2014 RE DLX WAST031CD}'
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4096 Nov  5 13:24 'Brian Eno - Small Craft On a Milk Sea

Well, iam into the ssh builtin consolle, i thought that i could change the permission , so to have access to write from here, BUT iam NOT the root, so i cant or anyway nothing happens.

Hi Hegom,

Looks like your write permissions are missing for the user and group in the clone. The 'w' is shown as '-'. I assume you are using a Linux distro. Look in the forums to check out changing owner / permissions.

That may also be something Tim could help with if it is the implementation of moode that is in question.
hi Boyfromthebog.
thanks for reply.

yes, write permission missing. iam using win10 to put data on usb disk, then i attached it to the raspberry 4 , where there is running the last version of Moode.

The fact is: Iam not the root in Moode. Iam just only user 'pi' with password moodeaudio, so i cant change permission in the usb disk files.

Everywhere i have searched, but it seems that root password for Moode is more rare than the Holy Graal! :-)

Nobody knows or want to reveal it.
@HEGOM

User pi has permission to perform as root via the 'sudo'.command.
(11-06-2021, 12:29 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: [ -> ]@HEGOM

User pi has permission to perform as root via the 'sudo'.command.

I tried, maybe made some mistakes, but after 2 or 3 seconds, prompt return and things are the same…
(11-06-2021, 08:00 AM)Boyfromthebog Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2021, 04:13 PM)HEGOM Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all.

and this the clone ...

The directory listing of the new disk looks very odd for example the sizes don't match the source disk.

You should post the process and commands you used to create the new disk and then populate it with files.

In stock RaspiOS that moOde uses the root user is disabled by default. You can run commands with root privileges by prefacing the command with sudo.
(11-05-2021, 04:13 PM)HEGOM Wrote: [ -> ]...

It took me a couple of reads before I figured out this likely means you were running filezilla as an FTP server on your Win10 desktop system and using the Raspbian ftp client from the command line of your moOde system(s) to copy over files.

Do you know that moOde advertises its music directories as guest SMB shares and that directly from your Win10 system you can browse, manipulate, and transfer files to the shares using the Win10 File Explorer?

Because of Microsoft tightening security in Win10 over time it no longer supports the old SMB v1.0 protocol (without modifications I don't recommend). This means your moOde shares won't show up in the File Explorer when it browses your network. However, entering the host directly into the Network search bar still works. 

With a moOde player with hostname newtest at IP address 10.0.0.245 I can enter either \\newtest.local or \\10.0.0.245 into the network search bar and have all the shares displayed. In my test case, I see and can write to folders nas, Playlists, Radio, and SDCard.

Quote:...
iam using win10 to put data on usb disk, then i attached it to the raspberry 4 

I don't know how to account for the different file directory perms and sizes if you wrote the two disks the same way from the same Win10 host. Is this what you actually did?

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to all for replying.

TheOldPresbyote. Yes i m usinf filezilla to transfere files from my win10 to Moode usb disk.
Yes, i know Samba is dead on win10, i could resyart service and then i should close again , but i prefer to act with filezilla.
I didnt know about to simply use the network search and i will give a try as soon as i can sit at desktop again. Thankyou.
Yes i wrote the ‘home’ disk with the same desktop, but i think that the list i reported above, is after i wrote the usb disk from win10, but using a simply fat method (just to try if permissions were the same as the old one). So maybe this is the different size of files.
I tries to change permissions in win10, but even if i can check ‘everybody can write’, the file remains that way.
@HEGOM

Umm, let's clear up the terminology first.

Server Message Block (SMB) refers to a series of versions of a communication protocol. It is widely implemented, especially in Microsoft products (IBM invented it and Microsoft enhanced it). Microsoft used to call both its enhanced protocol and its implementation the Common Internet File System (CIFS) but that's now considered obsolete.

SMB1.0 is no longer supported by default in Microsoft software implementations but SMB2.0 and 3.0 are still in use.

Samba is a software implementation of the SMB protocols which is used in Unix-like systems including Linux (e.g., moOde), MacOS, and the like. Users can configure their Samba subsystem to support or not support various versions of SMB.

Unix-like systems running SAMBA can interoperate with Windows systems providing they mutually agree on the SMB version(s) they will accept.

Now, regarding your issue.

I'm still not sure I understand how your two disk systems came to be different. To repeat what Tim said "You should post the process and commands you used to create the new disk and then populate it with files."

Be specific to be terrific.

Regards,
Kent
Pages: 1 2