Moode Forum

Full Version: Upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi,

Below are WIP release notes for upcoming moOde 8.0.0 release (Q1 2022).

The main goal for the initial 8 series release is to port and optimize the code for the new RaspiOS Lite Bullseye and Linux kernel 5.10 or later branch.

There is also a new build system based on Debian package management https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement that provides a simplified and more controlled build and upgrade process.

Code:
################################################################################
#
# 2022-MM-DD TC moOde 8.0.0
#
################################################################################

New features

- NEW: Raspberry Pi OS 11.2 (Bullseye)
- NEW: Linux kernel 5.10.92 #1514

Radio stations

- NEW: DR P1, P2, P3, P4
- UPD: DR P6 Beat
- UPD: DR P8 Jazz

Updates
- UPD: Bump to MPD 0.23.5
- UPD: Bump to Ashuffle 3.12.8
- UPD: Bump to Squeezelite 1.9.8-1317
- UPD: Bump to Pi-Bluetooth 0.1.18
- UPD: Use Bluetooth controller mode "dual" (BR/EDR and LE)
- UPD: Move MPD Audio output and Volume type to Audio Config
- UPD: Ignore articles when sorting Composers in Tag View
- UPD: Improve scan for Samba shares
- UPD: Handle case where Receiver Discovery has not been run
- UPD: Add "Clear queue" to Playbar/Playback contenxt menu
- UPD: Add librespot normalization settings to System info
- UPD: Add reference to enable IGMP Snooping in Multiroom Setup
- UPD: Add accent colors Berry, BlueLED, Moss and Lipstick
- UPD: Exclude Dummy from MPD Output device list
- UPD: Restrict DF to local file systems in moodeutl -m
- UPD: Remove 64-bit kernel option

Bug fixes

- FIX: Parsing nameserver from resolv.conf
- FIX: tx_query_timeout not being applied in updReceiverVol()
- FIX: Mixer name not being quoted in rx config
- FIX: Merus chip options not being saved
Earlier in January you replied to a fellow looking for 3 channel output from moOde as follows:
Quote:It may be supported in upcoming moOde 8 depending on which kernel branch we decide to use. I believe that support for devices like motu require the 5.15.y branch.
I'm happy to see the version 8.0 release thread started and am curous if this new kernal is a practical possibility. I would like to experiment with 3ch output with a synthesized center created by somehint like the 'trifield' algorithm (exists as a Foobar plugin that can be used for external file processing).

Thanks,

Skip
Hi Tim, nice list already. Know that we intend to release librespot 0.4.0 soon-ish. Mostly a bugfix release but of note: a much, much better dynamic normalizer, completely new and taken from an article in the AES Journal.
Will the 64bit Raspberry Pi OS be used?
Great news! Great work Tim! Looking forward to the new release!
I presume it will be a clean install required rather than an upgrade from 7.6.0, right?

Kind regards,
Greg
(02-07-2022, 08:45 AM)radu- Wrote: [ -> ]Will the 64bit Raspberry Pi OS be used?

Um

Code:
- UPD: Remove 64-bit kernel option

The plan is first to release a pure 32-bit moOde 8.0.0. 

The build pipeline for a 64-bit moOde has not been completed yet. There's a great Latin phrase I learned long ago in math studies, mutatis mutandi, which more or less means "once the necessary changes have been made."

Regards,
Kent
(02-07-2022, 08:37 AM)roderickvd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Tim, nice list already. Know that we intend to release librespot 0.4.0 soon-ish. Mostly a bugfix release but of note: a much, much better dynamic normalizer, completely new and taken from an article in the AES Journal.

Nice.

Regards,
Kent
Why do you ask for 64-bit kernel and userland? I think development time is better spent on other things, there’s just no tangible improvement in audio quality or playback performance.
True for sure but now that the horse has left the barn users will want the 64-bit OS. As far as priority goes we are still working on finishing the pkgbuild system and looking at the 5.15.y kernel. This kernel does have some audio related improvements :-)
(02-07-2022, 12:59 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: [ -> ]True for sure but now that the horse has left the barn users will want the 64-bit OS. As far as priority goes we are still working on finishing the pkgbuild system and looking at the 5.15.y kernel. This kernel does have some audio related improvements :-)

Kind of an "these go to 64" moment, if you remember Nigel Tufnel (Spinal Tap).  Big Grin

Regards,
Kent
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6