Moode Forum

Full Version: Chromium CPU hog - Vivaldi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm running MoOde on a Pi3 with a Hifiberry DAC2 HD.....sounds AWESOME!

I notice that Chromium browser, for the local display, is a bit of a CPU hog so tried using different web browsers to see what difference it made by editing .xinitrc

Vivaldi works well....and uses less CPU than Chromium.
Firefox works, but the screen is offset off the top left corner.

My feature request is 2 fold:

1.  Can an alternative browser be used to lower CPU usage (and heat) of the Pi? or better launch parameters for Chromium that make it behave?
and/or
2.  Can there be a permanent option for only showing the "now playing", coverview, screensaver on local output and that page be a standalone lightweight page rather than the toggleable layer that I *think* it currently is.

I currently have cron enable with:
@reboot sleep 30 && /var/www/command/coverview.php -on >/dev/null 2>&1
* * * * * /var/www/command/coverview.php -on >/dev/null 2>&1
* * * * * ~/ping.sh

(The ping.sh script is to keep the connection awake.....SSH & web stop responding after some hours of inactivity.....although ping continues to respond.)

Sorry for the messy post.

Regards,
Andy.
1. I recently tested LuaKit with updated Java and Webkit libs and Firefox ESR and they both peg the CPU to 100% :-0

Chromium-browser has pretty low CPU utilization on the quad-core Pi's but it eats RAM to 100% after about 2.5 hours and so as a work around moOde restarts it every 2 hours. No one has been able to track down the bug causing the Chromium issue. I did try a few Chromium flags but they had no effect.

2. I can add to the TODO list a preferences option to control whether or not local display always starts with CoverView displayed. It would need to be actual CoverView though and not a "light" version otherwise cover art and track info would not automatically be updated during playback.