Moode Forum

Full Version: Hey from the North Midlands of the UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Long time Linux music player here - from literally using the command line or GUI based players (or winamp on wine!) to Volumio, RuneAudio and now moodeaudio that I'm quite liking.

Works nicely on the Pi4-4Gb with 2Tb USB storage, HifiBerry Digi+ Optical feed to my Cambridge Audio One receiver and JBL Control 1 Pro speakers and small home-made (modified Creative Lab!) subwoofer for lower-end rumble. In my small lounge it sounds great  Smile

Leigh....
Welcome aboard.
Ey up.
Thank you both and "Hey up duck!"
I am intrigued...(and perhaps @the_bertrum can illuminate somewhat ?) if you hail from 'the North Midlands' does that imply there is a 'South Midlands' ?
Or perhaps even an East and West Midlands ?.....or a North Northlands.. Mid Midlands...East Southlands et al ? How do these things get named ?

Down our way (similar sized land mass) it's all cities named after dead Englishmen and first arrivals....apart from the Islands themselves which are... err-um
'North Island' and 'South Island '.... hmmm perhaps I now see how it happens :-)

Welcome LeighP !
(07-08-2022, 09:41 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: [ -> ]I am intrigued...(and perhaps @the_bertrum  can illuminate somewhat ?)  if you hail from  'the North Midlands' does that imply there is a 'South Midlands' ?
Or perhaps even an East and West Midlands ?.....or  a North Northlands.. Mid Midlands...East Southlands et al ?   How do these things get named ?

Down our way (similar sized land mass) it's all cities named after dead Englishmen and first arrivals....apart from the Islands themselves which are... err-um
'North Island' and 'South Island '.... hmmm perhaps I now see how it happens :-)

Welcome LeighP !

There are to my knowledge North, East and West Midlands.  I've never heard tell of a South Midlands.

More broadly, there is in England, "The South", "The Midlands, and "The North".  Scotland is another thing entirely at the top, and Wales is again another thing attached roughly on the side of The Midlands. The North and The South both get subdivided into East and West variants.

Back a few hundred hears, the bit I live in (The North East) was known as "The Debatable Lands" on account of how no one could decide if it was in England or Scotland, or was even a place of it's own entirely.
@DRONE7

Bob, just to add to the @the_bertrum's geographical insight over the mysterious Midlands... please rest assured that "ey up" and "hey up duck" are part of the good ol' English UK vocabulary. I'm glad that Tim has not intervened in order to remind the conversation participants that the 'official' language of the Forum is STILL English... (:-)
Or at least English-ish, as my grandkids would say. Have to allow too for initialisms, emoticons, emojis, and the occasional colloquialism, otherwise it wouldn't be the Internet, eh?

Regards,
Kent

PS - love the "debatable lands". Land debates got us Yanks such things as North vs South Carolina, North vs South Carolina, and, of course, West Virginia. In some areas the debates live on.
lol....love this thread. I live in Stoke on Trent and "ey up duck!" or "hiya duck!" is a typical greeting Smile

I love accents, not really having one myself, and am always proud that our little country has such a wonderfully diverse collection of accents, dialects and languages.
Blimey - this grew quickly!

To reply in reverse order:

Mister D: I'm over in Newcastle Under Lyme (near the New Vic Theatre) - good to find someone nearby and we are definitely from 'duck' land.

Drone7 - I often term this area (North Staffordshire) as 'The North Midlands' as, geographically, we seem to have the West Midlands and East Midlands and I feel I belong to neither as 'West' include Birmingham, etc, of which I have no connection and 'East' is Derbyshire and beyond of which, again, I feel no connection. We only get Midlands TV here because we receive from Sutton Coldfield and rarely does any news from this are get featured so I feel we are more 'North Midlands' and even nudging into the North West.

the bertram - I like the idea of the "Debatable Lands".

Greetings everyone!